Writing the Book on Anonymous

Discussion in 'Trolls & Lulz' started by ValidUserName, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ValidUserName

ValidUserName
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

So what do you think? Has this been done? Can this be done?

In all seriousness, I'm considering this. The very idea of Anonymous, 4chan's particular brand of anarchy, and even trolling is a fascinating and often misunderstood idea.

Think about it. In a country that touts freedom of speech, trolling is the most effective, eloquent, brutal, and hilarious method of keeping stupid people in check. Arguing with idiots who use freedom of expression as an excuse to be idiots does nothing, even if your arguments are calculated to be unerringly rational. Trolling, however, represents the boon of this in its purest form. Someone being dumb? Don't try to argue, simply try to make them look as idiotic as possible. Yeah, it's a cheap shot, but come on... a successful troll will nullify even their best arguments because no one else will want to listen to the recently ruined.

And who stands at the vanguard of this trolling army? None other than Anonymous, waving its black battle standard of hate while simultaneously gratifying itself with a furious hand wrapped around its throbbing meat-hammer.

Of course, there would be ethical concerns. The author would have to remain Anonymous, of course, and would have to do loads of research and consult with others to make sure that all sides of the story are represented. There would also have to be an assurance that any resultant Jewgolds gained from sale would not wind up in the greasy hands of said auteur.

There are two ways to deal with this second thing.

First, an internet-wide poll allowing people from all over the world to vote on which organization received the money as an Anonymous donation (can you imagine if Al Qaeda got the most votes?).

Second, cashing out all Jewgolds and turning them into $100 dollar bills which were then rolled into $1,000 tubes and hurling them at random people from the window of a speeding vehicle.

But seriously, what's the feasibility of this shit?

Also, OP's a faggot. :(

• OP is a Faggot OP is a Faggot x 1
    • List
  2. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    If you do, do it under a pseudonym.

3. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    I would probably have more to say were it not 3am. I will remember this thread for tomorrow.

4. Ahseyo

Ahseyo
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

DJ, Music Producer, Synth Programmer
    If you're going to do it, you'll probably be having to somehow get in touch with Anonymous themselves...However that's going to end up. To get the full story. And it's important not to be partial when writing this and taking any side.

5. ValidUserName

ValidUserName
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

Right. Looking forward to your input.
    I believe that impartiality will be key. It would not be a book about my thoughts on Anonymous, nor would it be a book about whether or not Anonymous is right. I foresee the need for the following sections.

Introduction - Cats [[already written, started this idea]]
    Chapter 1 - TL;DR, or "The Social Philosophy Behind the Emergence of Anonymous" [[the nitty-gritty about social evolution and the creation of groups]]
    Chapter 2 - The Chaos of Law [[an explanation of Anonymous beliefs and Anonymous "law" - should be a nifty treatise on catharsis and anarchy]]
    Chapter 3 - For Great Justice [[objective accounts of the actions of moralfags]]
    Chapter 4 - Internet Hate Machine [[objective accounts of non-activist trolling - lulz without the ethics, as it is]]
    Chapter 5 - The Heroes of Anonymous [[a write-up of certain Anonymous heroes, such as Stephen Colbert, Old Spice Guy, and Sean Connery]]
    Chapter 6 - The Villains [[a write-up of certain Anonymous villains and an exploration of why Anonymous hates certain groups and people]]
    Chapter 7 - So I herd you liek over 9,000 werds? [[a lighter exploration of the various memes associated with Anonymous]]
    Chapter 8 - Conclusion [[tying things together]]

Obviously, it will not be a book trying to "figure out" Anonymous, nor will it be a book glorifying the typically "benevolent" social activism perpetrated by many people within Anonymous. It will simply be a book about what goes on. It would not out anyone, of course, nor would it seek to create individuals. It would simply be a book written from the perspective of an objective observer with sympathies for Anonymous as a whole, regardless of whether or not anyone agrees with it.

Though it will be a sort of documentary on Anonymous, I was torn when the idea first came to me. At first I thought the tale would be better suited for an erotic novel.

6. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

There has been a study about anonymous already, I'll look it up for you.
    Please use sources in this book.

7. Meepsheep

Meepsheep
    Expand Collapse
    THEY DON'T PAINT PICTURES, THEY JUST TRACE ME

anime fan
    Home Page:
    How about this:

Chapter One: Jerking off to 4chan
    Chapter Two: Finding ways to put ourselves under the illusion that we are making the world a better place

That should work

8. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    I have been around the "Anonymous" subculture for a long time, being a member of ED throughout it's various incarnations. If there is anything I have learned though this is that "Anonymous" loves media attention, and they love telling you their opinion of what happened even when they have no idea, so you would have to be careful of who you talk to as to not get misinformation from someone that knows nothing about it. One example is when ED went down last January, Adrien Chen wrote an article about it in Gawker and his "inside source" was some random kid from 4chan's /b/ board who gave an explanation that was so far off the mark it was comical to us. How would some random person from a totally unrelated website know what happened when at the time most of the admin staff didn't even know? The scariest part was people outside of the inner circle so to speak have no idea so they believed it because nobody from ED was giving any contradictory information. We (ED.ch) try to be as transparent as possible to stop rumors before they start. It helps that we are non-profit so we don't have to worry about things like our decisions affecting revenue or advertisers dropping us.

This (not being a business) is why ED.ch is superior in my opinion to ED.com. Not having to worry about content for fear of losing ad revenue gives us a lot more leeway then our predecessor. Also we know that labeling an owner, or "leader" is a terrible idea. ED is owned by the peopel, many of them Anonymous, but many are just normal people who get a kick out of watching people make a fool out of themselves on the Internet. I don't separate ED too far from any tabloid, the only difference is that we focus on Internet celebrities instead of IRL ones. All of our content about certain people is created from media that them themselves have released on the internet, yeah we may be critical of them, however most of the funniest content is unmodified images and videos that the subjects of the bios upload to the internet on their own volition. We don't break into people's computers and steal embarrassing home movies, we just embed content that is freely available and make comment and criticism about it, just like any other website of the same thread like Gawker or TMZ. The only difference is that we say nigger a whole lot more.

I think I may have gone way off topic here, but if you would like to speak to me or if you would like me to arrange an interview with a real "Anonymous" member just hit me up in PM or get my email address off of my profile page on here. I am very interested in a non-biased book about "Anonymous" and I am willing to do anything I can to help it be as informative as possible and as interesting to read for "Anonymous" member as it is for NORP's.

9. ValidUserName

ValidUserName
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

I lol'd.

Yes, please. And assure yourself that sources will be cited.

I was concerned about that. The best way to handle it, I believe, is to cite certain sources (i.e. sysops, moderators, creators, etc.) about what Anonymous has done on their watch, but not as mouthpieces for Anonymous. And random sources will be no good either, other than to put in a quick comment from them and describe it as "one Anon says." After all, a thousand people could each ask ten anons what Anonymous means, and they would be left with 10,000 different answers.

My thoughts exactly.

That will be hit on as well. The fact is that most of Anonymous's actions are simply due to people taking what has already been said and making it look sillier, or painting it in a negative light. And some times, it's not even that. Like the infamous Scientology raids that did little else than take was Scientologists actually believe and cataloging it.

Thank you very much. I will definitely take you up on that offer, as my involvement in Anonymous culture has been less than many others. I'm not looking to prove a point about Anonymous, and I'm not looking to define Anonymous other than in the broadest sense possible. I'm simply looking to make an introduction to Anonymous and catalog the different actions that have been undertaken by Anonymous members. A couple months ago I created a blog that I haven't even logged on to yet. Perhaps I'll make that a sort of online notepad to keep track of progress made.

Understand that this is merely mind-sperm at the moment, and has not yet wriggled itself into the egg of action. First my goal is to look at the events as events, not doing any actual research, and come up with a philosophy for approaching this venture and a brief outline about how the book should be structured. But I will be sending you that PM, as you and others can point me in a good starting direction.

10. Seku

Seku
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

bad bich
    Home Page:

11. Meepsheep

Meepsheep
    Expand Collapse

anime fan
    Home Page:
    Seeing as you are serious about this, I think the most important thing to understand is the evolution of the group. That itself will tell you pretty much everything you need to know.

12. ValidUserName

ValidUserName
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

Gotcha. And that's what I think I'll hit first, is how the group formed.

Of course, this is still an idea. There are risks involved in writing this, too. To do the book justice, I would have to ask Anons questions, and that would mean that if one Anon decided I "wasn't getting it right" I may find a gaggle of male strippers at my door with a hundred pizzas and a bill for two thousand dollars.

13. Meepsheep

Meepsheep
    Expand Collapse

anime fan
    Home Page:
    In that case it would be a good idea to speak with several anons for each topic, and always include that you were told whatever information you record.

14. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

Will you write about specific websites and their influence on anon (*chan,ed,...)

15. SpyroForLife

SpyroForLife
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

This actually sounds like a good idea to me. If you do write a book, I would buy it. However, I know nothing about anonymous culture; I'm just here to support the idea. Good luck on making it a reality, and be careful who you talk to for information.

16. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

>implying someone would sell a book on anonymous without getting death threats.

17. Meepsheep

Meepsheep
    Expand Collapse

anime fan
    Home Page:
    Of course some of the 711chan/Raidchan kids are always going to go around posting "LOL ANON IS LEEGIN, RULES 1 & 2" and pizzabombing/sending death threats. But the "new" anonymous seems to support the idea of their group being known to the masses.

18. SuperSpecialSuperStar

SuperSpecialSuperStar
    Expand Collapse
    2011 Faggot of the Year

Frog Mercenary
    Home Page:
    anon duznt exist, dunk ass fools

19. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

I support writing on anonymous, but asking donations for the book is the limit.

20. Meepsheep

Meepsheep
    Expand Collapse

anime fan
    Home Page:
    Using anon for profit = big no-no

But like I said, there will always be kids who attack any media outlet that mentions anonymous, and then go spam ANON IS LEEGIN on some kid's YouTube.

21. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

If this book is serious and doesn't contain to many made up facts, this could be kept to a minimum.

22. Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ
    Expand Collapse
    Lord and Savior

Being the first zombie
    Seeing how I was in a popular string of children's books (The Bible, Jesus and Friends, The Da vinci Code)
    I will help with the writing process of this book as well, to shed the GLORIOUS LIGHT on Anonymous.

23. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

Nobody is anonymous, your all seeing eye sees errthing.

24. Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ
    Expand Collapse
    Lord and Savior

Being the first zombie
    But if I give up the information on them, they will try and kill Dad, which will probably piss him off.

25. Zaichata

Zaichata
    Expand Collapse
    Here for the "Intellectual Debates"

Lazy college senior
    And thus a book was never written.

The end.

26. Seku

Seku
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

bad bich
    Home Page:
    He's getting it published as we speak.

27. Zaichata

Zaichata
    Expand Collapse
    Here for the "Intellectual Debates"

Lazy college senior
    Can I get a link then?

28. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

ANY NEWS?

29. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

What about this order:

1, 7, 5, 6, 2, 3, 8

Start with giving an overview, then proceed to the lighter stuff (memes) and then go to your pseudo intellectual masterbation.