Would you have lives without modern medical care?

Discussion in 'Religion & Politics' started by Emily, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

I was born healthy and sane.

2. lulzyer

lulzyer
    Expand Collapse
    Attorney at lol

Attorney
    my appendix burst when i was 12. I am now 29, so i probably would have died back then without modern medical care. I had my wisdom teeth removed at 23. That was fun.

3. SuperSpecialSuperStar

SuperSpecialSuperStar
    Expand Collapse
    2011 Faggot of the Year

Frog Mercenary
    Home Page:
    Same here, except that was at 4 and I still have my teeth.

4. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    I got asphyxiation pneumonia from pulling a Jimmi Hendrix and asphyxiating on my own vomit. When they found me I wasn't breathing and all of my limbs and face had turned blue due to the body's natural tendency to bring your blood into your torso to protect your internal organs. I must have been walking through the house and tripped over something, I smashed my head against the tile floor and must have been laying there bleeding and choking on my own puke for a good 4 hours until someone found me at 6am. I had to be taken by helicopter to a hospital 100 miles from where I was in Florida to St Petersburg where they drained my lungs (Still have the scars on either side of my rib cage). They gave me about a 1o% chance of pulling through, and I did. I was in a coma for 2 weeks afterwards and hospitalized for another 2 weeks after I came to. This was in 2004, it happened like 3 days after my dad died lol.

5. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

Not to laugh with it.
    You are fucking epic.

6. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    I don't remember any of it. I got a DUI that day and I don't remember getting arrested of released. I have no idea how I got bailed out because I don't even remember being there.

My father had just died of an accidental prescription drug overdose, which is why I was in Florida, settling his estate, planning the funeral etc. I found his bottle of Xanax (The same bottle that killed him) and started taking them and drinking and the next thing I remember is it is 2 weeks later and I'm strapped into a hospital bed with all kinds of tubes going down my throat and up my nose and in my dick. I was hooked up to a ventilator too, I was a mess.

7. Patroclus Rex

Patroclus Rex
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I had super-asthma or something so probably not.

8. lulzyer

lulzyer
    Expand Collapse
    Attorney at lol

Attorney
    Bravo, Sir. My died died unexpectantly (pulmonary thrombosis) my second year of law school, so I flew back from Philly to Phoenix. I took 2 weeks off of school. Decided to look through the medicine cabinet - found an entire bottle (50+ pills of 5mg oxycodone) and was high as fuck for 2 weeks straight, combo of Oxy and Scotch (and a few gin and tonics in the morning). Good times!

9. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    Score!

10. luvur

luvur
    Expand Collapse
    Integrated Mind

Lulz
    Home Page:

Seeing as you'ze guise are telling your story's of abuse I'll tell mine.

I used to drink pretty bad. The last time I drank I was driving my Comanche down the highway going to a friends to pick up some pot. I was wasted though, could barley walk let alone drive. I was so drunk I forgot to get gas and ran out about midway. So like an idiot I started walking even though I had around 4 miles to go. I figured someone would stop and give me a ride. Even though I forgot gas however, I didn't forget my 1/5 of rum. So of course with nothing to keep me busy on the walk I just kept chugging away at the bottle. After an hour or so it was all a blur. I had to hear story's from the nurses and later on in more detail from the sheriff. They told me how I walked in front of a car coming down an off-ramp. The car was going around 20-25 mph and hit me dead on. I got a broken leg from the whole thing and was on crutches for a month and a half. They took my license cause I admitted to driving drunk. Nowadays I just stick to pot and leave the alcohol alone. At least that doesn't get me into stupid shit.

11. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    That's funny, a drunk pedestrian hitting a car. Jolly good show. :pringles:

12. Da/v/e

Da/v/e
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Fuckshit guys you really got fucked up with the drugs. How come no moralfag has bursted in yet to tell you Drugs are bad m'kay ?
    I got pneumonia a month and a half after being born and that shit was hard to kill. I'd be a pile of underground baby bones.

13. luvur

luvur
    Expand Collapse
    Integrated Mind

Lulz
    Home Page:
    Yeah, I should have charged for tickets. I would have made a killing.

14. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse
    Everyone's Favorite Evil Bitch

Faggot Police
    I was born mostly healthy, I did have a little asthma and a heart murmur when I was a baby but it went away (on its own I think). Also, I've got bad eyesight, and had my wisdom teeth removed at 16. So other than being unable to see well, I'd probably still be alive without modern meds. Unless I got myself killed by not being able to see whatever it was that killed me.

15. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

Why did some of you have to be consulted by Dr House to survive?

16. Whatever

Whatever
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Existing
    Nothing special here I just got appendicitis in like third grade and I would've died without surgery. Other than that I'm more or less healthy.

17. Lucky

Lucky
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Worst I've ever been sick was the flu or something, and all I did was throw up for three days til I got it out of my system, so I guess I would be fine.
    I had my wisdom teeth taken out right after high school, but they weren't even bothering me.

I have a boring life.

18. Proooflz

Proooflz
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

I'd be fine and dandy.
    I've had ingrowing toenails. I suppose they'd have just chopped my toe off, which is exciting.

19. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I would be 100% alive and well. Also, I love my free health and dental care (even though I almost never needed it so far). You jelly, Amerifags?

20. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

I would have ruined my parents without public health care

21. Heskett

Heskett
    Expand Collapse
    Boyvinyl

Fellatio Aficionado
    Severe dehydration almost killed me when I was 5 since my body suddenly started rejecting water and other fluids that I tried drinking, but delicious re-hydrating fluids that were pumped into my system helped clear all that.

22. Rock

Rock
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Pretty boy swag'n
    Home Page:
    this is clearly a Eurofag/Canadafag question

23. Negi Springfield

Negi Springfield
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I was born premature and had a stroke at age 6. I am yet still alive and well, for some unknown reason and perhaps modern health care. I also think God had something to do with it, which might be backwards and superstitious, but I don't give a fuck. I feel I'm here for a reason. That being said...

I'm still not so deluded that I would get elective surgery for a twig and berry removal. I had several brain surgeries and can say that anesthesia is shitty as fuck. It still haunts me the memory of having a mask put over my face and breathing in the shit. The smell is beyond horrible.

24. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

I don't think god wanted you to live, but modern day healthcare beats god

25. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    Oh shit nigger, worse I ever had was a third degree burn on my leg. It was pretty fucking bad though, I'm not sure what it would look like now without modern medicine.

Edit: actually no, when I was nine I got scarlet fever. It was no worse than itchy chicken pox, but fifty years ago it was untreatable, and would have most likely made be go blind.

26. endsenten

endsenten
    Expand Collapse
    Knows where you sleep

I remember when I got my tonsils removed (I was 7, and the two fuckers were infected to the point of getting sick as fuck each goddamn week); I recall hearing the doc saying "take a deep breath and count to ten", so little me breathes that shit, and I swear IT FUCKING HURT AS IF MY NOSE WAS ON FIRE. I tried to rip the mask off while yelling "It hurts!"; of course that wasn't well seen and I was restrained. Unconsciousness took over while I was cussing the doc at the top of my lungs.

Other than the tonsils, I've been in good health. I don't know if that could have eventually killed me without modern medicine; I guess yes, given the gradual weakening of my immune system due constant illness and shit.

27. Proooflz

Proooflz
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

The fuck? General anesthesia kicks so much ass. It was painless when I had it (excluding the cut they make at the start so they can put a needle in your vein). And waking up is heavenly. It's like waking up from the best nap ever (this may also have something to do with the tonnes of pain killers I was on)

28. lulzyer

lulzyer
    Expand Collapse
    Attorney at lol

Attorney
    Oh i broke 2 ribs snowboarding, which sucked. I also had a kidney stone in college, a super tiny one. I was a swimmer in college (1500 meter) and apparently my crazy swimmer's diet can accelerate those. 6000 calories a day is not normal

29. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    I ok, I'm not healthy but I still ok.

30. endsenten

endsenten
    Expand Collapse
    Knows where you sleep

The next thing I did after waking up from general anesthesia was projectile vomiting. Not exactly heavenly.