Windows 8.1 [Horrible Experience]

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by umkemesik, Sep 5, 2013.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
  1. umkemesik

umkemesik
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Internet Stalker
    Home Page:
    So a RTM version of Windows 8.1 made its way unto the internets.

I bought a 1TB Passport to move my files, the Hard Drive decided to fucking break as I was moving my massive amounts of p0rn.

So I bought a new HD from Micropenis Center. Of course I forgot the SATA cable. It closed at 620 pm on labor day.

Driving back I found a spare SATA cable lying right on my fucking bookcase. Popped it in and starting transferring files.

Now I had to transfer one at a time, because the HD was failing and some files weren't transferring. After two days I got it.

Installed Windows 8.1 and then DL my favorite pirated Programs.

Then I tried to run one that required .net 3.5. Windows kept saying "could not connect to the internet to download files." I think one of my pirated shit may have tripped this up. Or Windows may be blocking 8.1 upgrades, IDK. It was working fine.

Anyway, at this point I reformatted the failing drive to see if that would help. I installed UBUNTU (clean install - overwrite HD), kept getting a black screen with flashing cursor.

I reconfigured to boot from my main HD (that has windows) and then the Ubantu screen loads up!

So now I am thinking I fucked up and wrote on the wrong fucking drive.

No worries, I was able to select Win 8.1 and it loaded fine. The reformatted Drive with Ubuntu did not appear.

So now I am thinking that Ubuntu installed fine but for whatever reason I have to boot it from the Drive I have windows installed, I cannot boot directly. IDK, have not fucked with Linux in years.

Weird.

Anyway, tried to install .net from the disk. Only problem is the fucking CPU would not recognize the drive. I found the solution by adding a registry entry via CMD.

So now my shit is working OK. Except I still cannot install updates from MS.

Just thought I'd share.

Anyway, I found much of the bitching about Windows 8 to be merit less, the Desktop is still fucking there. It sucks though because I need Pro to remote in from work to watch p0rn.

It is still fucking buggy though, although that might be the pirated shit I DL blocking windows.

Also @KoalaRimjob

2. KoalaRimjob

KoalaRimjob
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Server Administration
    Yeah I don't know why they removed the payload for .NET 3.5, First thing I did was fire up DISM and add it back to the WIM.

You can install it from the DVD.

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:d:\sources\sxs

As for dual booting Ubuntu .... Don't do that you are just asking for trouble.

Code:
    First Create a bootable Win 7 VHD using this known procedure from Keith Combs.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcombs/archive/2009/05/22/dual-boot-from-vhd-using-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

Boot the Win 7 operating system on the VHD.

Go get the free Wubi installer.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer

From Windows 7, install the Ubuntu Wubi installer, but make sure you install files on the Physical HD's primary partition (not VHD's C: windows partition)

Reboot when asked to do so, but don't select Ubuntu yet from the boot menu (it won't work), you need to launch Windows 7 one last time.

Now the important bit: In Windows 7 make sure you change the Folder view settings to "Show all files" and make sure OS files are un-hidden. Once you have done this browse the C: drive. You will see two important files: wubildr and wubildr.mbr

Copy these two files to the root of the Physical Partition (ie, the partition where the Windows7.vhd file is located and the Ubuntu folder that was created when you installed wubi above). Just to be sure you are copying the files to the right partition, make sure you can see that there is a pagefile.sys bootmgr and bootsect.bak file.

Thats it! reboot and select Ubuntu from the Windows bootloader. 

3. umkemesik

umkemesik
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Internet Stalker
    Home Page:
    Yeah, I used DISM to install. The Windows 8 disk was not letting me do it, but the 8.1 that I burned worked like a charm.

Thanks for the tip, will do!

BTW, what do you do for work, you seem very windows savvy.

4. KoalaRimjob

KoalaRimjob
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Server Administration
    Windows Server Admin & paid MS shill on the side if you believe the rest of the people on this site.

5. minty

minty
    Expand Collapse
    toymaker

@Beefcake would you say this an accurate description?

6. Beefcake

Beefcake
    Expand Collapse
    Best-selling author

Well, the only thing a Windows Server Admin really needs to know how to do is click "Next" a bunch of times. Yeah, I can agree with your assessment @minty.

7. minty

minty
    Expand Collapse
    toymaker

thank you for your assessment, @Beefcake
    it has been noted and filed under "A" for "assessment"

8. Beefcake

Beefcake
    Expand Collapse
    Best-selling author

Ha, ass.

9. Mr Lange

Mr Lange
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Man of Science
    Home Page:
    I tried Windows 8. The workflow is bogged down by lots of unavoidable bullshit, on top of various features having been mildly bloated. A lot of little bullshit things adds up to a lot of bullshit. Best part was all the bizarre firmware lodged deeply in the computer, seemingly part of the hard drive, ensuring that Windows 8 was there to stay. It would not allow me to downgrade, dual boot, format, or anything. Needless to say I returned that piece of shit immediately.

10. KoalaRimjob

KoalaRimjob
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Server Administration
    With System Center VMM I can deploy a cluster in literally a few clicks without ever logging in to the nodes :cool:

^ that's secure boot you can disable it.

11. umkemesik

umkemesik
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Internet Stalker
    Home Page:
    FYI - I took off Linux and reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate on my extra drive (I only have the 8.1 home edition which does not allow me to remote).

Had to figure out how to take off Grub which was fucking up my boot, but I got it working now.