Why the fuck are we not advancing in space exploration?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Squall741, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Squall741

Squall741
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Remember stories about the final frontier, exploring new planets, and star systems? Remember TV shows about space? Now there is a growing popularity of reality shows. Remember the kids that wanted to be an astronaut? Now they want be the next lil Wayne or Kim Kardashian. I'm not putting the blame but I want to find a solution to this problem. The plug on Space Shuttles are pulled out now because they were "expensive" but at least it created jobs. We could've reached Mars or colonized the Moon by now. Seriously we're becoming like fishes occupying in on place. Am I wrong? Discuss!

2. ChristianWarrior94

ChristianWarrior94
    Expand Collapse
    Emissary of Christ

As the Christian population diminishes in America so does the intelligence.

3. Squall741

Squall741
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

CW94, Anyone can be highly intelligent. You just need a motivational figure, the right resources to obtain his/her goal that will benefit society, and a intelligent group.

4. darren

darren
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Money has to be relevant in some way.

The average person gets very little buzz from it. Unless we send Homer up.

5. SnowKipz

SnowKipz
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

Eh, space is kinda boring anyway. And frankly, exploring it doesn't make us any money.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  6. Squall741

Squall741
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

So, There is lack of interest? Exploring space DOES make money, You can mine Asteriods for it's minerals, and the same for planets.

7. darren

darren
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

How do you get these mined products back to earth?

I fail to see how any money is made, I was under the impression Nasa was funded.

8. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Obunghole cut funding from NASA apparently.

Also you can blame billions being wasted on dead end status quo donations to Africa to the places that will NEVER improve no matter how much money they get.

AND you can also thank Lazy assburgers, and Niggers on dat welfare who drain more from the funds which could be used for funding Nasa.

9. Squall741

Squall741
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Obviously bring the raw materials on a ship and redefined these raw materials into products to be sold. By the way, Didn't NASA got a budget cut in 2010?

10. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

the only reason we got into this stuff in the first place is because we were competing with the USSR. since we no longer have any major rivals, our government doesn't feel that it's worth it.

hell, our space exploration stuff slowed down to a relative crawl after the last Apollo mission, there's just nothing to motivate it.

so we know how far a probe can fall into Jupiter's atmosphere before being crushed, so what? that's not going to help our country make money in the short term.

I'm not saying that I like the fact that we're not investing much in space atm, I'm just saying that the government doesn't have any real reason to at this time.

11. Lucky

Lucky
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

FUCK YOU SPACE IS AWESOME.

12. Squall741

Squall741
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Then we need a new space race? China can our new rival, It is reaching superpower status right? I also wonder if it's gov is interested.

13. darren

darren
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Have you any idea of the cost and sheer difficulty in doing this? It's not the film Armageddon. Big things go up, and small things come down.

14. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    because you're a fucking idiot, I'm sure the other assholes in here will explain to you why you are dumb, but I would recommend hanging yourself now.

15. SnowKipz

SnowKipz
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

Nobody is interested in a new space race. There's no guaranteed end result and even if there was you would have to waste unimaginable amounts of money to get something back. We might be able haul our asses over to Mars if there's a meteor or something, but that's it.

And anyway, there wouldn't be much of a race, with Murrka out of the game and Russia using carboard boxes as spacecraft.

16. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

of course, many advances made in other fields can then be applied to space travel, for example, it's been said that once we can make carbon nanotubes long enough, we'll be able to make them into an alloy strong enough to build a space elevator, which, though a bit pricy at first, would allow for significantly cheaper transport between the ground and an altitude from which things can be efficiently launched.

basically, you have a launch platform in geostationary orbit around earth which is tethered to the ground by a huge-ass mooring cable on steroids which elevators can go up and down on. once it's built, it will be MUCH cheaper than burning a fuckton of fuel to get up every time

so yeah, we can still make progress towards being more space-faring even if we're not in space.

17. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    dude, that geostationary thing would be like the ultimate terrorist target. All it would take is one asshole in a cessna playing kamikaze, or a really terrible storm, and down it comes!

The japanese are working on it, and you know if they succeed the whale wars fags will try to destroy it.

In short YOU ARE ALL FUCKING IDIOTS SHUT THE FUCK UP

18. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Since it would be made of carbon nanotube weave and able to withstand the stress of being tethered to a geosynchronous asteroid orbiting the earth without snapping.
    A Kamikaze plane pilot would end up dying for nothing.

They had a Space Elevator in Halo and Star Trek Voyager
    and especially featured in an Arthur C Clarke novel i think, Rama i think the series was.

19. KelpBurn

KelpBurn
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Proffessional Brony
    We should invest a metric shit-ton of our money to space science so we can science space and teleport to places like in Star Trek.

20. Squall741

Squall741
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

And when Earth is deprived of it's metals what are we going to do next?

But look at the results of the space race; Sattelites help broadcast TV Shows and sends new information. The ISS helps developed new Tech. Maybe we can developed a cheaper way to get into space without ships like I_Cant said. A Space elevator.

21. KelpBurn

KelpBurn
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Proffessional Brony
    We do what we always do as true-blooded Americans. We invade the shit out of some other celestial body, spread democracy, and then take when the taking is good.

22. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

you still need a ship, it's just that it doesn't have to waste most of it's fuel escaping Earth's gravity.

but yeah, there are quite a few experiments which would be much easier to perform in space, we'd also be able to build much larger particle accelerators (for whatever reason) since we wouldn't be limited by things like buildings and mountains getting in the way

there's lots of reasons to look more into space exploration (of which overpopulation will inevitably be one) but at the moment the government just doesn't think it's economical. maybe after we get the economy sorted out... (but the creation of jobs associated with space shit would help the economy, so meh, complex issue)

I've also heard that the private sector is showing interest in space exploration, not sure if they'll make much progress though

23. Squall741

Squall741
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Like Space X, it's capsule was approved by NASA

24. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse
    Everyone's Favorite Evil Bitch

Faggot Police
    I don't know about exploring space for monetary gains, I'm interested in space for scientific reasons. I was even interested at one point in studying planetary geology, although I guess it's a good thing I didn't, it seems like if it isn't useless now, it would be useless very soon. Which makes me sad, I think we could learn a lot by exploring space beyond just what we can observe from the earth's surface. But, money makes the world go round, and if there isn't any to dedicate to these scientific pursuits, the research will fall away.

25. KelpBurn

KelpBurn
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Proffessional Brony
    Not only that, but there is a good chance since most of the things done in life are for monetary gain, your research would be corrupted or misconstrued so that we can convince politicians to began interplanetary expansion so that we might further colonize and spread our ignorant human race with the belief that we should because we can.

That or you might get stuck being underpaid with a horrible boss.

26. ChristianWarrior94

ChristianWarrior94
    Expand Collapse
    Emissary of Christ

Anyone can, but non-Believers restrict themselves to rules and boundaries. Also that wasn't my point, but whatever.

27. Akula

Akula
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

n/a
    Home Page:
    The first astronaut was atheist. Soviet nevertheless (The Soviet Regime eliminated all religion.). :awesome:

28. Squall741

Squall741
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Also to travel long distances in space you in alternative to the liquid fuels. Maybe some anti matter or nuclear?

29. ChristianWarrior94

ChristianWarrior94
    Expand Collapse
    Emissary of Christ

An astronaut is merely a piece of meat they fling into the air, using a monkey or nigger in their place makes no difference really.

• Like Like x 1
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • List
  30. Squall741

Squall741
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Isnt it that vice versa? Like sex after marriage or have an abortion.