Why AE Believes in Free Speach, it's Philosophical Forefather JSM - Excerpt from "On Liberty"

Discussion in 'Religion & Politics' started by GSTalbert1, Oct 2, 2012.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
  1. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Part Time Substitute Teacher Full time Teal Deer
    I found these excerpts to possess particular importance for Encyclopedia Dramatica, as they highlight the debt in which this site and all it's practitioners owe to JSM. I really love books and I can't think of anything lovelier so I scanned it, I prefer reading online texts when they're clearly scanned from old books and manuscripts. I've been posting these here so that people can access this theory, which generally isn't very accessible on the web, and so that it may be discussed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder
    Expand Collapse
    Likeicares Bitch

GBP Management Assistant
    [​IMG]

3. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    OMG! You read a book?!

I READ A BOOK TOO!

Maybe we should give each other hand jobs and talk about how smart we are!

Fuck off you pompous douchbag.

4. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Bottom and Oddy posts are in the wrong order

5. dignitator

dignitator
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

naruto's ninja HQ dojo
    [​IMG]

6. BoggiDWurms

BoggiDWurms
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

buggering children
    Home Page:
    Could you please summarize it. I have enough books to read in my Jew school.

7. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Free speech is awesome because of things

My pleasure

8. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

[​IMG]

9. Lyle

Lyle
    Expand Collapse
    turtle

[​IMG]

10. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

11. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

also
    Early Anon

[​IMG]

12. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I would like to say something about his reasoning, it requires truth to exist. I believe in truth, but for sentimental reasons as this kind of moralizing I often find to be misunderstood. I am not, at heart, a teleological moralist. While I believe that such justifications are highlighting issues in regards to the situation, and thus are important, they are never certain. In providing a justification for free speech we need to approach it from a direct reasoning. Indeed we should give several, but the base, or rock, so to speak. The perfect city must find a way to rely and progress off of free speech in a way that utilizes the function of the open forum and thus becomes as vital to the economy in the manner that eating and sleeping are for people.
    Why is it that a lack of censure ship leads to progress? What are some of the clearest of examples?

13. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    Censorship is bad because it prevents shit from getting done faster. If the Catholic church accepted Galileo and his science, and even pushed it, we'd have had an enlightenment sooner. If the Catholic Church didn't burn Bruno at the stake for proposing proto-inflation theory, we'd be more advanced.

Also political correctness is a form of mind control. If you punish people for simply expressing their opinions, they will start self censoring themselves first with their speech, then their thoughts.

14. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Galileo was a bastard fuck. He deserved what he got!
    PC merely is backlash against perceived slight. The more they respond to the trolls the moar it gives the words teh power!2! People pass on their suspicions and you end up with EBM
    [​IMG]
    and what is so special about this sick shit?
    [​IMG]
    That is General Celes from ff6 who has her USED DAIPER worshiped by the motherfucking imperial guard.
    What about this warrants my neck?

I believe in regards to belief on this @Drmusic2010 sums it up

15. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Wow, that makes two pearls from Ricey's House of Fun Factoids in the same day, we're so lucky...

Could you provide some quotes from those chaps to back up that so extraordinaire claims, pls?

Because far as I know, neither the total division between science and religion (hint! hint! lol) nor the concept of First Cause/Contingency have nothing to do with Darwin, except maybe in the most tenuous way.

And Bruno's statements about stars nothing with inflation theory. At all.

Again trying to use science to support your faith, Rice?

U'r incorrigible, aren't you?

Dude...you could learn something from your beloved Aquinas (hint! hint!)

16. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_Bruno#Bruno.27s_cosmology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Aquinas#Creation

Interacting black holes behave like an atom, the larger black hole is the nucleus and the smaller one is the electron. "As above, so below; so below, as above." - The Kybalion

17. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    The Bruno's link don't talk about inflation at all

The Aquina's one don't talk about natural selection nor the transmission of acquired characteristics, it only talks about corruption as a form of creation:

Since the generation of one thing is the corruption of another, it was not incompatible with the first formation of things, that from the corruption of the less perfect the more perfect should be generated. Hence animals generated from the corruption of inanimate things, or of plants, may have been generated then. But those generated from corruption of animals could not have been produced then otherwise than potentially.

But I admit that that can be seen as a precursor of the concept of mutation. So half a point for you there.

:picard:

You are doing it on purpouse, aren't you?

18. dignitator

dignitator
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

naruto's ninja HQ dojo
    Sounds like I hit a nerve there. You just got tricked!
    [​IMG]

: - ) U mad?

19. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder
    Expand Collapse
    Likeicares Bitch

GBP Management Assistant
    No no. Please do not post that cancerous forced meme, you confused us with reddit again.

20. dignitator

dignitator
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

naruto's ninja HQ dojo
    You don't like Le Tricked Face meme? You may enjoy this hilarious Meme I found on /b/

[​IMG]

Isn't it hilarious???? XD

21. Sugar Bombs

Sugar Bombs
    Expand Collapse
    Daddy

True freedom of speech fails in modern society because people talk a lot, without actually saying anything at all (i.e. stating the obvious, being egocentric, not researching and instead going by "gut feelings"). And they don't listen, they simply wait for their turns to speak, due to ego driving them to the conclusion that to be proven wrong is to lose/have their pride hurt (especially on the internet) instead of learning from new information and being appreciative of it being brought to their attention, thus growing their understanding.
    This cycle does not foster true discussion.

I don't believe in censorship, but until people relearn the art of conversation, and begin teaching it to their children on a mass scale instead of sticking them in front of the TV and making them racist, misogynistic, willfully-ignorant faggots, we need things like "political correctness" to curb their idiocy since they have no common sense. Being nice is not a failed virtue, but the fact that people say things like "African American" instead of "black" and think it's better, makes me wonder about them still, because why even say it to begin with? To what purpose do we distinguish ourselves from others instead of accepting that we are a collective?

I lost my train of thought. People are retards.

22. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    I think that's because we are not ants. We are hierarchical animals, and thus, we need to differentiate us.

Obvious psychical/mental characteristics is the easiest way to do that, so the dark skinned will be called "black" for sure (in a non predominantly dark skinned enviroment, of course...) the rotund will be called "fatty", the alopecic "baldur", the nicely breasted "sugartits" and the clever "smartass"

Also, we are both gregarious and competitive, and it's kinda inevitable then that we choose epithets with a hint (or more) of mockery/cruelty, to foster the feeling of our superiority against other individuals or groups.

I haven't many hopes in the viability of our species, the combination of bigotry, competitiveness and ever advancing (and thus lethal) technology sounds pretty problematic in the long run.

Reason can't do shit agains emotions and insticts, except in exceptional circumstances, so I really believe that we need to genetically modify ourselves as species in order to have a chance to survive

23. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

[​IMG]

24. dignitator

dignitator
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

naruto's ninja HQ dojo
    Aww, I'm sorry nobody cares about your dumb pretentious "political" thread. Maybe you need LE butt doctor!

[​IMG]

25. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    TNX.

26. dignitator

dignitator
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

naruto's ninja HQ dojo
    You are just too easy to LE TRICK!

[​IMG]

27. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:

So the idea that an infinite universe in which all the stars are Suns with planets around them with people on those planets is not some sort of proto-inflation theory? Give me my half point nigger

I don't have the power to make blackholes do that, but yes I am doing it to get a rise out of you.

28. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Not at all.

It's not even nothing similar to a proto-big bang theory (which is what I think u are trying so awkwardly to say...)

And inflation is just an incredibly brief phase of that one, which lasted about 10^−33 seconds, if it happened

That, of the current state of ur ego

Ntch...and I having thought that u were saying that everything that rotates around some other thing is basically the same: sub-atomic particles, binary stars, roulettes, LPs, etc

Maybe because is like the tenth time you have stated the complete analogy between stellar systems & the like and atoms...

Ey look, another one:

126756 - MEME Wii animated meatspin.

The balls are the nucleus, and the glans the electrons!

It's so obvious to me now. So "as above so below"

And there's even a black hole near too! Don't ask me the details...

29. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Yeah, I need some lessons from you asap.

Can we make an appointment? I can barely manage my anxiety

30. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    However, the problem with the big bang theory is recent findings regarding charge-conjugation/parity and how matter and anti matter are complete opposites means we have to take everything we assumed about the big bang and have to start all over.

I have stated this analogy because it is interesting that the densest objects in the universe behave like atomic particles. That is odd and you know it.

"Science is always discovering odd scraps of magical wisdom and making a tremendous fuss about its cleverness." - Aleister Crowley