1. Email server is down and i have to manually confirm accounts at the moment. Check forum regularly to see if your account has been approved, you wont get an email. Sorry about the wait
    Dismiss Notice

What books are u currently reading

Discussion in 'Hard Gay Chats' started by SomeIdiot, Jul 29, 2012.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums

Encyclopedia Dramatica is being sued by a very wealthy serial litigator. This is not just another "gimme shekels for server" - the future of ED is at stake. We are asking for donations to fund our legal battle, all money raised goes entirely towards attorney fees. Please help with whatever you can, every donation is deeply appreciated.

Donate to the Encyclopedia Dramatica Legal FundJoin the Discussion Thread

1. A Fucking Box

A Fucking Box
    Expand Collapse
    Removed

Wizard-Emperor of Wiztantinople
    Home Page:
    I have a feeling that you are a flamboyant homosexual

2. ScriptFail

ScriptFail
    Expand Collapse
    Newfriend

Fired, repeatedly.
    Horseshit. Flamboyance requires a better credit score than mine. I mean seriously, have you seen the prices on those custom "Muddy Jeans". Fuck, I only make $15 per handy.

3. A Fucking Box

A Fucking Box
    Expand Collapse
    Removed

Wizard-Emperor of Wiztantinople
    Home Page:
    Guess I was half right then

4. coralinerocks

coralinerocks
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

disabled layabout
    Dune. My wife and stepdaughter are trying to do a book thing at home. This is my 5th time and their 1st. :)

5. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    Kawaii on the streets. Senpai in the sheets.

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    upload_2017-6-14_7-48-30.

6. coralinerocks

coralinerocks
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

disabled layabout
    hKPM1.

Attached Files:

• rab.
      rab.gif
      File size:
      812.5 KB
      Views:
  7. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    Reading Aldous Huxley's "Island"

upload_2017-7-19_22-39-36.

And it's so bad.

It's honestly sad to see a visionary who to some degree predicted future events with his dystopian novels, reduced to a drug addled hippy who can barely write.

The books entire central point is that if we'd all just abandon capitalism in favor of some sort of ill defined amalgamation of a verity of eastern religions that white people like to imagine are somehow enlightened, holistic medicine invented by 14th century chinese farmers, let strangers raise our kids and do hallucinogenic drugs while engaging in ejaculation free tantric sex (a good 20 pages are dedicated to the cumless tantric sex), well then, all will be well and utopia would be achieved.

All of this is delivered through a series of pretentious monologues, imparted to us by underdeveloped characters acting as the author's mouthpiece in a manner resembling a television show for toddlers explaining photosynthesis to an audience of drooling five year olds as it stares directly at them.

The main character seems to exist only for the sake of asking the exact question necessary to allow whoever is in the room with him to break into another speech about the wonders of islamic zen shintoism and how all of the world's problems would be solved if we were all excessively open about our emotions (something they all seem to practice by dumping their entire life story on the protagonist at the slightest provocation) and didn't spank our kids, or whatever other nonsense was in Huxley's head at that exact moment. Either that, or waiting for them to finish and then marvel at how right they are.

I have read about 200 pages so far, and only about 15 were actually plot relevant. The rest so far have just been Aldus Huxley trying to convince me to join a commune.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Feels x 2
    • Tl;dr x 1
    • Fuck off retard x 1
    • List
  8. Maysam

Maysam
    Expand Collapse
    Pilot

8====>
    :D

9. Barrabas

Barrabas
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Microwave
    My girlfriend bought me his Perennial Philosophy, and it is a similar vein of uninspired nonsense, piggy-backed onto shallow interpretations of Eastern philosophy. The more I see of Aldous, the more he seems like a one or two trick pony.

• Nobody Cares Nobody Cares x 1
    • List
  10. Barrabas

Barrabas
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Microwave
    Just did these two back to back:
    TheMoonIsAHarshMistress_2505.
    stanger.

Had never read Heinlein before, but they were both great. Moon is a much more practical novel, with a highly dynamic plot, while Stranger has a lot more to chew on, although much less happens. Would recommend both.

• Like Like x 2
    • I Agree I Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse
    Pedophile

mentoring
    [​IMG]

Borrowed it from a family member. Interesting read, didnt realize Churchill's mom was an american beauty with native american blood.
    It is very biased towards Churchill's more positive traits, I'm only halfway through it, hasn't touched on alot of his flaws. But still gives good insight to him, he apparently was a shameless attentionwhore who always felt like he was destined for great things, and was willing to get shot at to be taken seriously.

12. Azrael

Azrael
    Expand Collapse
    Destroyer of Worlds

Angel of Death
    Okay so maybe someone in this thread can help me remember what this book was called/who it's by...

It was this very Jurassic Park-esque book about some scientists genetically engineering everything on this island in order to make biological weapons for the military to use, even the plants were genetically modified. But then their main animal project got loose and started killing everything and the scientists had to call in the military (I can't remember if it was the Navy SEALs or some other special task force but basically they were this specialized branch of the military) to get their animals under control. I think the title of the book might have had Genesis somewhere in it, but I could be wrong. I know it wasn't written by Michael Crichton, even though it sounds a lot like one of his books.

Here's (to the best of my memory and my shitty MSPaint skills) a representation of what I remember the paperback cover looked like:
    [​IMG]

13. coralinerocks

coralinerocks
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

disabled layabout
    I just finished Dune and now I have to find out what happened to: BLPROCESSED-Magnus-the-Red-cover (1).

I'm thinking they're going to push it to 75-100 books. ....fuckers.

14. Call me Tim

Call me Tim
    Expand Collapse
    Nyan

Bullshit Artist.
    Is it working?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    • List
  15. Sugar Bombs

Sugar Bombs
    Expand Collapse
    Daddy

Like oddguy would ever join an organization with other people in it
    His personality's physical representation would be a puddle with a shit in it

Also what the fuck is this
    [​IMG]

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Trigger Warning Trigger Warning x 1
    • List
  16. Call me Tim

Call me Tim
    Expand Collapse
    Nyan

Bullshit Artist.
    That's only if he fails to convert them to Busey-ism.

Dunno.

17. wretchedgretchen

wretchedgretchen
    Expand Collapse
    Not funny anymore

<3
    You know any book that says "The _____est _______ ever _______ed" right on the cover must be good.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Good Question Good Question x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    • Autism Autism x 1
    • List
  18. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    that's a bad analogy

19. RancidWraith

RancidWraith
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Loser
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Autism Autism x 1
    • List
  20. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    finished reading it and it only got worse.
    By the end I'd be surprised if more than 18 pages of this entire book advance the plot in any way. This is made worse by the fact this retard didn't notice that he forgot the passage of days and the books entire story, beginning to end, from the main character's arrival on the island to its hostile takeover (by a bunch of characters who never actually appear in the story) takes place inside the span of about 2 days, even though I think at one point one of the characters saying its been a month in site of the protagonist only having gone to sleep once so far.

The rest is peppered with some cringe inducing pseudo science that was sort of acceptable in "Brave New World" because you thought you were just suspending your disbelief for the sake of the story, but here actually ruins "Brave New World" retroactively when you realize Huxley has such a loose grasp on who things actually work, he probably honestly thing you can make babies genetically immune to vertigo by spinning them around as fetuses. Here the anti-science takes the form of Huxley imparting onto us his brilliant theory about psychology that all bad people in the world separate into Stalins and Hitlers, and you can cure the former by redirecting their genocidal tendencies into bodybuilding, and the latter with group dance therapy.

The pretension is also off the charts, like when at one point Huxley "fixes" the ending "Oedipus Rex" using several small children as his surrogates, with the implication that if children grew up in his imaginary utopia, at the age of 8 they would be smarter than ancient greek philosophers and all of western civilization combined.

The book ends with a 20 page description of an acid trip.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Nobody Cares Nobody Cares x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Shots Fired Shots Fired x 1
    • List