What books are u currently reading

Discussion in 'Music, Movies and Media' started by SomeIdiot, Jul 29, 2012.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
  1. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    He's witty and lectured, but suffers from terminal Hipsterism.

2. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    this was okay but a little disappointing
    reading this now'

[​IMG]

3. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Really good back then, but has aged horribly bad. The "internet" bit is embarrasing to read nowadays...

Speaker for the Dead, the sequel, is less funny but a better novel, probably

Xenocide, the next one, it's ok, but a bit strange in its conclusion...and the rest of the saga (like a lot) and diverse spin-offs all suck, at least the ones I tried and abandoned

• I Agree I Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. feminist jazz hands

feminist jazz hands
    Expand Collapse
    Moral Highlander

Uromancer
    [​IMG]
    Interesting book with good points.
    ... for example, the greatest effect of this weapon was purely psychological.

5. moogshroom

moogshroom
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I wish I knew Russian, so I could read their interpretation of Harry Potter called "Tanya Grotter and the Magical Double Bass" by Dmitri Emech. What's even weirder is how it turned from a parody into its own thing. Translation didn't happen, because it's probably better than its inspiration and Rowling is a cunt.

[​IMG]

• List
  6. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Hurry Pooper

That's beautiful

7. Sock Dog

Sock Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Tomfoolery
    That's literally what that appears to say. "Tanya Grotter i magicheski kontrabas" I'm bamboozled.

[​IMG]

I just read this short work of historical non-fiction. It takes a non-linear approach to the history of the 20th and early 21st century and runs down tons of applications of developments in history viewed through three different government structures of democracy, communism and fascism respectively. It also delves into most evolutions in human psychology from Freud to New Age, religion from 1880s Christianity to Scientology, linguistics, etc. The seamless continuity between totally different regions of the world, time frames and subjects can give the reader whiplash but it's really well put together and funny while informative. There are no chapters and every paragraph is a different thought.

So a good example:

"Psychiatrists said that in many people the First World War provoked traumas that had been previously hidden in the unconscious, and in the 1920s and 1930s the people started to be neurotic because they were not adapted to their inner or outer state, and in Europe in the 1960s, 25% of women and 15% of men were neurotic, and journalists called it the disease of the century. And in the 1970s the number of people suffering from depression also started to rise, and at the end of the century, every fifth citizen of Europe was depressed."

It then launches into an extensive series of short sentences explaining different psychological explanations for why these phenomenon occurred on such a mass scale. It's absolutely packed with statistics and oddities of history that manifest cyclically, like in the above quotation.

Very highly recommended.

#747 Sock Dog, May 19, 2017 at 12:16 PM
    Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 12:36 PM
    • List
  8. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    read this

upload_2017-5-19_22-22-54.

Interesting, but I already knew most of this stuff and the entire book is style over substance

upload_2017-5-19_22-26-19.

not a good book. there are better books out there about the scarpa's and the entire story can be summed up in one paragraph anyway
    fbi hired a mobster as an informant so he committed crimes and murdered people for decades with impunity, he died, his son went to jail, was able to extract information out of an inmate that could have prevented 9/11, but no one did anything and then they hid him away at a supermax prison so no one will find out how they fucked up.

upload_2017-5-19_22-30-3.

trying to read this now and it's tedious
    the same point is made over and over on every single page

9. gert7

gert7
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

T-bone Chicken
    [​IMG]

10. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    I love Bob the Angry Flower. It's as ugly as it is unfunny and the font is so illegible that reading every single strip is like an arduous task that you are rewarded for by a painfully unfunny punchline. Ans since he's been making this comic for like 3 decades now, you can just keep torturing yourself forever. This strip in particular is a treat because, unless the book completely changes focus at some later point I haven't gotten to yet, it seems like he didn't read or didn't really understand this book.