What books are u currently reading

Discussion in 'Hard Gay Chats' started by SomeIdiot, Jul 29, 2012.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums

Encyclopedia Dramatica is being sued by a very wealthy serial litigator. This is not just another "gimme shekels for server" - the future of ED is at stake. We are asking for donations to fund our legal battle, all money raised goes entirely towards attorney fees. Please help with whatever you can, every donation is deeply appreciated.

Donate to the Encyclopedia Dramatica Legal FundJoin the Discussion Thread

1. HellaJeff

HellaJeff
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Shitlord
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]
    So last year I bought a shit ton of books for my "Pretentious English Major" collection and this was one of them and I'm just now getting around to reading it. Wanted to see what the hubbub was about, and I actually find it rather interesting. Starts off engaging enough. Haven't really reached fucked up territory yet though.

2. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:

I read it and it didn't do it for me. It felt like a regular story. Then I read some sort of analasys of it and it was all like: "Check out this minor dertail you didn't notice! Now check out this OTHER tiny detail no one cares about! Notice how they're the oppisite?! That's because these two guys are the oppisite of one another!"

And I'm like... and?

3. HellaJeff

HellaJeff
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Shitlord
    Home Page:
    Yeah, I'm kind of getting that "normal story" vibe from it too. I've only read the first like 20 or 30 pages but nothing has really stood out to me as being as fucked up as The Internet claims. I mean it kind of goes without saying a relationship between an old dude and a little girl is messed up but I mean...it's no more shocking than all 3 parts of Boku No Pico. Analysis's like that can be pretty disappointing. My friend talked me out of getting the copy of Brave New World that included the "revisited" thing, because she was saying that it was basically an analysis. They point out obvious shit like that and pass it off as such a big mystery. It's like being in high school American English.

FlamingTofuSquare and Aroukar like this.
  4. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I'm an evil Scotsman and my name is Jock
    The funny thing is that the author meant the reaction to the events to be revulsion. Nabokov was a closet Christian and was deeply respected by Solzhenitsyn (a mutual respect).

Aroukar likes this.
  5. Barrabas

Barrabas
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Carpetbagger Yankee Scum
    It's 2014, and that book was written over half a century ago. It's like how old South Parks have slipped into the TV:14 rating, after being aired as MA. Just the standards of the time, where the only people these days who could possibly find the events in Lolita shocking or offensive are people who were alive when it was written.

Maysam, HellaJeff and Aroukar like this.
  6. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    Reading Ernest Hemingway's "Across the River and Into the Trees".

[​IMG]

And every time I read one of his books I am reminded of why I think he is shit.

Solution, Aroukar, scumhook and 2 others like this.
  7. Boudica

Boudica
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Putin's #1 fangirl
    THIS!
    He is shit.
    Complete shit.
    He prolly only killed himself because he realized his career was shit and couldn't stand living anymore

Solution and scumhook like this.
  8. Nox Noctis

Nox Noctis
    Expand Collapse
    Echi 'till I die. All these lolis call me Senpai.

Sugoi Booty Call
    I just finished reading Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried for the third time.
    I really like it. It's a Vietnam War-era book about the author's personal experiences and service in Vietnam.
    [​IMG]

FlamingTofuSquare likes this.
  9. SparkleKawaiiUguu

SparkleKawaiiUguu
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

[​IMG]
    Just finished this. I ran out of scary movies to watch, so I was looking for scary books, and this was one of the most recommended. It was a good book, but it wasn't scary.
    Does anyone have recommendations for scary books? I've read most of Kings works, and never really found them scary, so anyone but him.

HellaJeff likes this.
  10. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    My god he's so awful. Every book's main character that he writes is just him which is hilarious because as he got progressively older his love interests in the books got progressively younger to the point that in this book, which was the last one of his books published while he was still alive, the hero is a 50 year old man who is in a relationship with a 19 year old girl.

So all his heroes are, of course, him. So all of them are grizzled war veterans who constantly talk to themselves in their heads in obnoxious second person singular. Every book is loaded with unnecessarily detailed descriptions of Hemingway's MANLY hobbies like guns, fishing, boating, drinking, hunting, war and fucking Paris for some reason. All of which he has written entire books about. It's like he's bragging of how much he knows about properly cleaning a gun and it is so BORING.

All of his stories are boring. Half the time nothing happens and when it finally does you're already so bored and uninterested in his characters that you can't care. And worst of all is how he writes romance. The hero always meets some beautiful women and both of them fall in-love with one another despite exchanging only a few words and neither of them having a single likable personality trait. Then they start having repetitive conversations reaffirming that they love each other.

You're beautiful
    I love you
    I also love you
    Drink this
    Okay, but do you love me?
    Yes, I love you. The weather is nice.
    Yes, the weather is nice. Hold me closer.
    You're beautiful. I love you.
    This drink is good.
    Yes.
    I love you.
    I also love you.
    Yes.

This is pretty much every conversation between any in-love couple in his books. They only talk in sentence fragments and it feels like they are having two separate conversations and just talking AT each other instead of TO each other. It's like he assumes that anyone who has ever been in love will immediately identify with these people so he doesn't need to put any effort into establishing anything worthwhile about them as long as he makes sure to mention how in love they are.

So far I have read seven of his books and the only one I even came CLOSE to liking was "The Old Man and the Sea" and only because it was shorter than anything else. BUT EVEN THAT IS SHIT! Mostly because the entire fucking book is just one of the chapters from his book "Islands in the Stream" with the character's name changed.

God he's shit.

Solution, Maysam, Aroukar and 3 others like this.
  11. Boudica

Boudica
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Putin's #1 fangirl
    Old Man and the Sea blew.
    MOTHERFUCKING SYMBOLISM
    It's a great excuse to use when you're a shit writer.

Maysam and oddguy like this.
  12. Barrabas

Barrabas
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Carpetbagger Yankee Scum
    Hemingwaydostoevskycomparison.

13. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I'm an evil Scotsman and my name is Jock
    Hemingway was the man. Anybody who doesn't appreciate his sparse prose and clipped dialogue lacks a sufficient understanding of masculinity. I'm guessing you guys also hate Cormac McCarthy's books too. It doesn't get much more badass than Hemingway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Time travelled to hang out with Hunter S. Thompson

[​IMG]
    Fishing with his gun

Solution, scumhook and Aroukar like this.
  14. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:

When I want to read a book about a world war I read Erich Maria Remarque. Hemingway can suck it.

Aroukar likes this.
  15. Bono-Roland

Bono-Roland
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Only read "a farewell to arms". It started off good with the war then went to shit for the major part of the book until the end when it got back to being good. Though, I'll agree with oddguy that hemmingway is a shit writer. Iceberg technique or what evs his style is called is the worst literary style I can think of. Maybe rivalled by verse...

16. j15m

j15m
    Expand Collapse

Bad choice newfriend.

oddguy, minty, Barrabas and 6 others like this.
  17. Bono-Roland

Bono-Roland
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I just want him to let me use my old avatar again :(

18. Collerz

Collerz
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Haggis Chaser
    Best book I ever read!
    Let him stare into your soul! save.

19. j15m

j15m
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

HellaJeff and oddguy like this.
  20. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    Reading "A criminal for life". It's the autobiography of one of Israel's greatest burglers and criminals. Some years ago Yitzhak "The Brain" Drori, Isreal's greatest bank robber, wrote a book that was a big hit I really liked (he wrote two more and I read the second and it was awful because he fired his editor. At one point he foreshdows about hiring that editor being the worst mistake of his life and then never explains it, proving how much he needed a fucking editor... Didn't read the third book yet). After that every gaing criminal in the country started writing their autopiographys since half of them are too old now to still be a part of the crime world... Nice book. Not perfect.