We should really build our own psychometrics

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by GSTalbert1, Oct 10, 2012.

1. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Part Time Substitute Teacher Full time Teal Deer
    Just saying, they are useful.

2. Manicute

Manicute
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

u sicentologist bby?

zxoxo

3. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse
    I'm $$Trooper, a badass commie nigger.

Dank Memes professor of Dank Community College.
    Home Page:
    @Manicute is on the prowl, shes a maneater baby!

4. Ror

Ror
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

KOREAN EAT DOG
    Add twitter integration and market as something completely revolutionary.
    Then move to Silicon valley while everyone showers you with cash, press exposure, and hookers.
    Then default on your loans after years of product delays and reassurances of "the market conditions just aren't right, yet" and tell them all "I did it for the lulz".

5. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

God no, I want to have a job that is 1/2 above the federal poverty line minimum responsibilities, a peaceful life, and live in a peaceful world where I could just read and internets. That world, that life, and that job does not exist :negative:

But really, developing predictive statistical instruments for human behavior isn't the REALLY hard part, it's getting high quantity/quality data. If this site ever develops an arcade, record the data and let me take a crack at it. Half of it is it would be fun for me, the other half is having a set of working psychometrics along with understanding how they are made is quite useful, I assure you. I doubt the data is there but say examine a user's "likes" and frequency of their posting...

6. Ror

Ror
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

KOREAN EAT DOG
    Clearly what you need is to take part in a pyra- uh "Multi Level Marketing". WORK FROM HOME! "Yeah, but statistically doesn't tha-" THIS MOM NEVER HAS TO GET UP FOR WORK! "Well is she even a real-" I HAVE A FERARRI!

You sound like you'd fit in at the Googleplex. Unfortunately they're all booked, so uh, what about Yahoo? No wait that's just mean, actually. If you don't mind censorship I'm sure you'd fit in at Baidu you'd just need to learn Mandarin, that is. Yahoo would look promising at that point!

[​IMG]
    According to this people must logically hate 9 of my posts!, or people really like 1 of my posts and hate 192 of the rest!, or uh, fuck it these statistics don't tell me anything at all. I fail to see the higher processes behind all this.

7. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

? No about 1/2 above federal poverty level happens to be the general salary of a social worker or a teacher ;)

The only real work experience I have is years of teaching, not much computer skills though I really fucking need to learn. Also I hate every company you listed, and facebook for the same reasons. I think they should be regulated and chained to a post with their legs cut off by the APA for the shit their pulling. The kind of data they are collecting has nearly limitless potential and they are using behavioral economics to dupe people into giving up their shit for free. If it were possible I would have Mark Zuckerberg and Lary Page executed for the bullshit their trying to pull. I don't trust their institutions with that kind of power.
    I'm surprised you left out WOW and other such MMORPGs that uses a series of complex reinforcement regimes to manipulate their gamers. They need to be taken down to. Srs bsns.

Oh, no one hates you Ror.
    You can't tell shit with those numbers, in large part because they are missing times. What you would look for is if you saw an average statistical increase in the quantity of posts within a given time frame after receiving a like. I use to do it with sweets and stickers when I taught nigglets literacy.

I was just suggesting an open experiment that's an inclusive group project with open access to the lab notes.

8. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Science says Mr. Windsor is trying to get your dick.

10. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

[​IMG]

11. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

12. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

psychometrics =/= scientology.

13. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

14. Ror

Ror
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

KOREAN EAT DOG
    I love how their personality test is about as useful as playing Ultima IV or the Game Boy Color remake of Dragon Quest III.

15. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

If you test well enough you can buy the next level. Bonus

Dragon Quest is definitely better at finding your dianetics levels than Tom Cruise. If I had a choice, I'd take the Ogre Battle Tarot Card Questionnaire

start at 4:22

god i fucking hate these narrations, mute volume unless you want to listen to complete faggot talking

16. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lol, this may surprise you but scientology is full of shit.
    A: Psycho - mind, metric- measurement. This field of study was really founded by the military during WWII with IQ tests. It's been around well b4 LRH had his "visions"
    B: the bullshit they use is not a legitimate psychometric instrument. They use fancy words and shit that resembles legitimate science to dupe people into their cult. The "tests" that they use suffer from similar flaws found in tests used for identifying alcohol and sex addiction.
    Try again.

17. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

You didn't address the actual point I made about psychometrics is the foundation of Scientology, other than the fact that they are misusing it.

However, I will point out that any employer who uses psychometrics in their hiring process is an obsessive-compulsive batshit insane micro-manager who probably has a jailbait fetish. These style of questionnaires are bad data because it directly translates to the participant's mood at the exact time they are taking the test.

You give me one personality test on a day when I'm dragging, erase my memory, give me the same test on a day when I'm feeling good, and the answers will likely be entirely different. The same can be said about the like system whether it be here or on facebook. If I'm in a good mood I go on a like spree, if I'm feeling blah I'm more picky. Your finished data will be inconclusive unless you're trying to break down how someone felt on a specific date.

18. Ror

Ror
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

KOREAN EAT DOG
    "mumble mumble straateeeggyy mumble mumble my mic sucks mumble mumble this is gonna be a long game "
    "I'll put my name as... Pasta"
    [​IMG]

19. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

[​IMG]
    every time.

the only good narrator ive ever heard is avgn. everyone else sounds like whiny shelled in emos trying to be boastful. its embarrassing.

20. Ror

Ror
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

KOREAN EAT DOG
    He's ok. I mean, when he isn't ripping off his fanbase on movie projects with infinite budgets with zero visible expendatures.
    His comrade Mike Matei on the other hand... ye gods.

Only people I can stand is Giant Bomb. But that's because they're professionals and don't halfass their stuff. Oh, and they're actually fucking funny.
    That and Luke Morse because he repairs old Japanese arcade cabs.

21. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

ah thanks, ill give them a shot. most of what i've seen out avgn is homemade clips on youtube, and they are just terrible. avgn was wildly amusing to me, and i also liked his board game reviews. he's a retard for trying to make money off it though. thats not how the internet works. his fanbase is wise enough to torrent the shit, all he gets are pity sales.

22. Ror

Ror
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

KOREAN EAT DOG
    Pmuch, yup. That latest shilling for the "Cheetamen" kickstarter game by some obscure ass guy from Texas (which ended up being a scam the whole time) was pretty low.

GiantBomb is at their best when they're just fucking around.

Highly recommend checking out their endurance run of persona 4 which they basically complete one of the longest games ever by breaking it up into half-hour long segments each week over a series of months. Crazy, insane, exactly what they'd do.
    They review current, popular games too. But that doesn't stop them from playing terrible Xbox indie arcade games like "How 2 talk 2 girls" and obscure games like "Afrika". That and they aren't fucking sellouts.

Luke is at his best when he's screwing around random shops in Akihabara and stumbles into really rare games. That or buys a totally ruined console and somehow brings it back to life for almost nothing. Plus, since he's not a weeaboo he actually sperg out over "superior eastern gameu". I tend to like him mainly because of the fact he doesn't act like a Youtube whore, answers his comments page, and doesn't sell out to anyone. You know, before the days of misleading thumbnails and "featured" content.

23. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Ror, old-school 1P Pong is by itself a psychometric. Do you think this would be true for 2P Pong?
    1P Pong measures hand eye coordination, a cognitive ability that you are measuring (psycho), and the point scoring is how you are measuring it (metric). I would be easy to create a learning AI via a psychometric that measures the cognitive performance of the player. This data would be entered into a system of self-regulating functions that would both read and produce statical data and automatically adjust the game accordingly to the cognitive ability of the player as he's playing it. They of course already do this but requires a good bit of resources to access this as psychometrics are, like everything else on the planet, patented. How is it fair that the only ones that have access to the full fruits of the human intellect are those with deep pockets? Instead what if one were to plug in that previously mentioned system of data into an adaptable program then release that for free on the web?

24. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I'm sorry, this was rude and impetuous. I was wrong to say that, but not about what I was saying.

They aren't misusing it because they aren't using psychometrics at all. These are basic sales techniques and overgeneralized questions.

Do you make thoughtless remarks or accusations which later you regret?

Does 'external noise' rarely intertere with your concentration?

Do you ever get a 'dreamlike feeling toward life when it all seems unreal?

Those aren't real questions. These questions have their wording is manipulated to dupe the test taker into giving the tester the results they want.
    This wording is also used in Astrology

Giving out general characteristics that apply to everyone such as "your jealous" when who isn't as jealousy applies to everyone? They used similar tricks with the scoring framework of this test to ensure a sale. When I did door to door sales selling solar paneling (I had a fucking blast with that btw) they taught us all sorts of wording tricks like these. Same shit in these tests which were never designed to measure anything, and thus cannot be considered instruments of measure unless you think that LRH was a true believer. They weren't using psychometric just building upon the framework of a test that many popular and proper psychometrics of the day often took and therefore the general population (their target demographic) was familiar with and trusted it. It's similar the E-Meter which as it's employed isn't really measuring a God-Damn thing.

I do not disagree with this in the least. I am not trustful towards personality tests, IQ scores, and "mood" assessments. These style of questionnaires often yield bad data because it directly correlates to the participant's mood at the exact time they are taking the test.
    Barbara Ehrenreich "Are Women Getting Sadder? Or Are We All Just Getting a Lot More Gullible?" used the results of one psychometric test to disprove another.

I know finding silver coinage always makes my day , thought that could be because I'm poor.

There is a range of cognitive abilities that could be tested. Memory matching games, chess, Tetris, etc that have nothing to do with the types of psychometrics your talking about. Their applications are vast. For instance your a moderator. How long should you ban someone (though EDF2 would be one of the exception to this as I would not consider it to be a general forum) to get the best results: returning to the forum with a significant decrease in banable behavior. Another question that these could be applied to answer is what would be the threshold for pop up in a browser's experience before driving them away. The answer to these questions would lie in finding the behavioral economic equilibrium. I think that these tools should be available for everyone. Do you?

25. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

No because it's an invasion of privacy. No person should be able to study your log files. I'm already uneasy with the fact that site owners do harbor that ability, but it is what it is. If they made that information public for science, it would be enough to drive everyone right out the front door.

If I scratched my nuts in public and was caught on CCTV, I wouldn't want some assholes reviewing the tape to see how many strokes it took to relieve the itch.

People don't want to be studied by strangers. That's why stalking comes with such negative overtones. Also why market research is only ethically performed on willing participants. Organizations like Facebook use these methods to target advertising, and they're walking a very tight rope when it comes to privacy concerns.

26. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

?​
    If that is truely your opinion dear uber then AE presents you with a conundrum. This site is based upon using the information individuals put out freely and publicly without their consent. Everything that I do on this site is open and for the public and this site openly admits it, hell these forums publicly list whatever I'm viewing at the moment. Any messages I sent, any edits I make, etc this owners of this site has the right to publish them at their discretion however they feel and the users of this site are to trust them completely out of good faith. This is not what I'm interested in.

Aside from that I was more interested, as I pointed out in the beginning of this thread that my specific interest is in developing something geared towards advancing the internet cottage industry of video games. Say, if I want to design a flash game I have to go through a tedious, redundant, and clumsy process of trial and error to adjust timing and frequency etc. I think that's horribly inefficient when there exists tools that can instantly do that for you.

I used the like and the user posts as a relevant example to illustrate the wide scope of such instruments application. Though I acknowledged that this was improbable as likes aren't time stamped and isn't very useful.

Don't scratch your balls in public and assholes won't be counting the strokes.

They aren't walking a tight rope, they are downright crossing a line. I've already discussed my opinion of what they are doing:
    The SOPA blackouts illustrated how much raw power major media sites actually have. I've never seen in my lifetime such an impact on legislation outside of a major disaster. Google, Wikipedia, Facebook, Twitter, etc all need to be annihilated. They do not control information directly, merely it's distribution and within democratic political institutions this is a God-Like power.

I digress, neither of the examples I gave to you (which once more were attempts to illustrate the scope of these instruments) require an individuals log files.

A: Pop-ups: A site owner added a new pop-up s/he wants to know how often it should "pop-up". S/he would simply look at average traffic over a month and compare that to the traffic their site has received over the entire sites history. No individuals was "stalked" for their personal data as no individual is being looked at, here your observing the behavior of a mass crowd.

B: Length of Bans. I don't need to look into a person's log files to figure this one out. You would need to increase the sample of course to several sites (once more this would not be my particular interest but that doesn't mean I wouldn't find it interesting) but anyone who can log on record for themselves when a person was banned, how long the ban lasted, and when they returned how long the went without getting banned again. As to privacy breaking the social contract they agreed upon is a public act, they shouldn't be getting banned in the first place. Do you take issue with the development and implementation of crime statistics too?

Not everyone has the skill and know-how to analyze that kind of statical data and I would want to develop something that would help them in that process.

Look this is just an idea, I don't think that forum are going to do anything with it. That still doesn't change the fact that I feel it is a good idea and that didn't stop me from at least presenting it. The big players already are doing this and I feel sooner or later these tools and information will be available to anyone sooner or later. When it comes to the dissemination of knowledge I always prefer sooner.

If someone were to leak a series of raw statistical data that Google and Facebook were gathering, it is doubtful that among those who could access that data there would be one able to make heads or tails of it. That should change.