War On Drugs Discreted by Econ 101 and Suply and Demand

Discussion in 'Religion & Politics' started by GSTalbert1, Dec 4, 2012.

1. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Part Time Substitute Teacher Full time Teal Deer
    Really awesome source full lecture course playlist on the basics of econ from Berkley on youtube. Came across this when my professor was a freshly graduated Chinalady who had the thickest accent this side of the boarder and taught a class at 7:30 AM, was painful.

Lecture 2:​

(Good for those that are utterly clueless when it comes to economics - @The Member Formerly Known As Baya Rae 4900 - yet have spergtastic passion for the subject.)​
    Skip to 40:25, the part pertaining to it is in 40:25 on the empirical effects of supply and demand, the empirical results of the war on drugs, and thus what policies are open to us. Good use of syllogisms by le prof.​
    [​IMG]

2. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I'm an evil Scotsman and my name is Jock
    Will not watch merely because "Demand and supply" irks me as much as "Garfunkel and Simon" or "Jelly and Peanutbutter" or "Chips and Fish."

3. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Do you have a better term?

4. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Yes. I call it "Supply and Demand." Patent pending.

5. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Oh, LOL. Sorry, I'm exhausted right now.

6. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Ok, I caved and watched it. This guy is either being facetiously simplistic or is a retard in the field of economics.

His first problematic assumption is that the drug war does not decrease the demand. Reliable study has shown that harsher punishment and higher prevalence of being caught do in fact decrease the willingness to participate in illegal behavior, or the demand. At the very least, treating demand as static with relation to enforcement is problematic. The fact that the professor doesn't even acknowledge that the demand curve isn't fixed with respect to punishment and instead argues against the strawman that it isn't steep leads me to believe he is being stupid and ignoring incentives that contradict with his preordained conclusion.

Also, the price-point for drugs is not infinite. If the government could make trafficking and producing drugs so expensive that the inflated costs were unable to cover the investment, supply would dry up in a heartbeat. Nobody except the insanely wealthy are willing to pay the amounts required to cut a profit for the dealers. If people cannot afford drugs, they will not buy them. If the punishments for theft and for using drugs are strict, they will be les likely to steal or use. This does lower the demand curve.

The main thrust of what I'm trying to say is that there are several incentives at play here and pretending the situation is as simple as "ME WANT DRUG ME BUY AT ANY PRICE AND IGNORE EVERYTHING ELSE" is a rather stupid and dysfunctional model for explaining drug purchasing behavior.

I honestly don't know my position on the drug war. Some days I wake up and think it is stupid. Other days I remember that drug use will necessarily increase to levels higher than we have (and not decrease) and that our incidence of violent crime (if our nation resembles others that have pursued legalization) will also rise. It's a complicated issue and not as simple as libertarians often try to represent it as.

Presenting legalization in such a simplistic wrapping is harmful to the concept as a whole and not conducive to meaningful conversation with the rest of the country who is skeptical at best about legalization.

7. RiKio

RiKio
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Then explain why a lot of theft crimes are related to drug debts. Thieves cannot afford drugs, but the punishments dont dissuade them.

Actually that´s how and addict think.

I personally see legalization as the lesser evil.

The worst part about drugs is that they aren´t a problem you can neutralize from one day to another. There are millions of people addicted to drugs, some of them even in power positions. This isn´t a problem you can fight with ideals, you need to do real shit for solving this. Drugs give the power to really dangerous people, and the economics heavily relies on drugs. Much of the incomes of a bank come from the dealers earnings. The end of drugs would collapse the world, this is something you cannot avoid, so I prefer legalization, since this way you can still dispense drugs, and you are capable of fighting the underground power.