VST Plugin Recommendations

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by moogshroom, May 10, 2016.

1. moogshroom

moogshroom
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

What are some good VST plugins to use in DAWs? I've got loads of them downloaded,
    but most of them turned out to be shit or obsolete.

Here's a few gems I use frequently:
    Kontakt 5 (a memory hog, but gorgeous soundbanks)
    Antares Harmony Engine and Celemony (good for pitch-shifting vocals and screwing around)
    Waves IR-1 Reverb (does its job, but thinking of replacing it because of crashes)
    Reaktor 6 (for building synths, extremely complicated but easier to learn than previous versions, I still suck)

Also here's a very v̶a̶p̶o̶r̶w̶a̶r̶e̶ aesthetic mixing tutorial from 90s:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. cuckroach

cuckroach
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

scurrying, spreading cancer.
    what DAW soft do you use?

3. moogshroom

moogshroom
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I use FL9 and Cubase 5, the latter one being more stable for me. I'm more used to quantized notes and midi on FL, but better audio clip editing and problem-free rendering is why I prefer Cubase.

4. cuckroach

cuckroach
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

sweet. why don't you use ableton or something a bit moar? i haven't used cubase since around 2000.

5. moogshroom

moogshroom
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I haven't gotten around to testing it yet, but I've been recommended it before. Another one I've heard good things about is Reaper. I should try them out properly myself and see what makes them good.

6. cuckroach

cuckroach
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

i make a lot of sample based music so i generally just use a limiter, compressor, gate, maximizer, etc. the waves bundles are sufficient for my use. KISS theory m8. if you have a shitload of unused plugs and fx you're not doing it right.

7. endsenten

endsenten
    Expand Collapse
    Knows where you sleep

8. feminist jazz hands

feminist jazz hands
    Expand Collapse
    Moral Highlander

Uromancer
    I'm mostly sticking to hardware, if i can.. but hell yeah, i have few favorites.. :)
    EZ drummer for drums, + the metal and trash-percussion sample packs are pretty sweet!
    LePou for guitar and bass preamps, reamping and distortion.. awesome stuff, really. And it's still free!
    Taste for synths is very subjective, but i like nearly everything i can get my hands on, turning knobs is one of my hobbies.. :awesome:
    Mainstays for my hunks of junk are Korg Electribe.. (i know, that's a common thing, some may say, but srsly, look at that thing and tell me you don't want to play with it a little..)
    [​IMG]
    i have also very positive experience with Waves Element, LinPlug Spectral, NI Absynth, and ... ehhh... FL Sytrus. :D These are all very intuitive and it's real fun playing with them.
    Eventide and Lexicon for effects. Anything, really. It's pricey, but totally worth it.
    Thnx for tagging me, Endy, t'was an honor.. :)
    Tagging @Likeicare in turn.. :awesome:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Likeicare

Likeicare
    Expand Collapse
    EDF is my hugbox

Home Page:
    I dont download too many plugins because im only interested in making a small variety of genres, use FL9 and Ableton Live 9.5, and an audio interface to connect my TB-303 to the pc for those mad original acid beats

10. Synecdoche

Synecdoche
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Work Time Fun
    Home Page:
    I have some personal favorites I'll share:

I think my favorite e-piano out here is mda e-piano which you could find here: http://mda.smartelectronix.com/synths.htm

I also like using the tweakbench series of VST plugins which lean towards a more vintage sounding vibe filled with crackling, tape static, vintage synth. out of those, i've always liked the way that Papaya, Peach, Triforce, Pippo and Tapeworm sounded.

http://www.tweakbench.com/

Also if you are looking to add glitch and randomness to your output, look up dblue glitch. It's an effect VST that has programmable glitches you can apply to your sounds. The creator made dblue glitch 2 that you have to pay for but the original is still avaiable on his website:

http://illformed.org/

anyone got good drum VST's so I don't have to keep using Fruity Drumsynth Live?

#10 Synecdoche, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  11. Likeicare

Likeicare
    Expand Collapse
    EDF is my hugbox

Home Page:
    Be a real man and just tune the fuck out of Fruity Kick

12. moogshroom

moogshroom
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Wish I had some hardware, but currently don't have money for any. I had Alesis QS8, but couldn't be arsed to haul it everywhere.

I have a friend, who has delusions of becoming a pop star, but I'll happily help him. He can sing, but needs to stop smoking and needs to learn english.

13. feminist jazz hands

feminist jazz hands
    Expand Collapse
    Moral Highlander

Uromancer
    Try to look in your local pawn shops for any old akai mpc, they're cheap and relatively reliable.. even the new uns. If you'd like some effects on top, try out some korg kaoss pads, that's also lot of fun for little $$. And yeah, cigars aren't exactly good for your voice, if you're not Tom Waits or Leonard Cohen. Well, good luck with the bugging process.

14. moogshroom

moogshroom
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Previously I used some Alesis QS8 for midi notes, keys were weighted and had velocity sensitivity. I'll probably look for something similar, because they're cheap.

edit: oh I mentioned that before, I once saw some stolen Korg pad but I didn't have knowledge of good it is, so I didn't buy.

15. feminist jazz hands

feminist jazz hands
    Expand Collapse
    Moral Highlander

Uromancer
    I don't like buying stolen shit, but kaoss pad is damn good, i dunno how it is with the durability of the older ones, but these types of controllers are usually fine.. the delays on this thing are marvelous..

• List
  16. feminist jazz hands

feminist jazz hands
    Expand Collapse
    Moral Highlander

Uromancer
    Bump

Working with Omnisphere for over a year, it's marvelous in all aspects.

• List