The New Ghostbuster Trailer

Discussion in 'Music, Movies & Media' started by Failstation, Mar 3, 2016.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums

Encyclopedia Dramatica is being sued by a very wealthy serial litigator. This is not just another "gimme shekels for server" - the future of ED is at stake. We are asking for donations to fund our legal battle, all money raised goes entirely towards attorney fees. Please help with whatever you can, every donation is deeply appreciated.

Donate to the Encyclopedia Dramatica Legal FundJoin the Discussion Thread

1. Failstation

Failstation
    Expand Collapse
    Eurocuck

EDF's Trump Card
    All in all, any movie that pushes shitton of Merchandise before the actual release is gonna flop. I guess it all goes deep under ground, next to the ET Atari cartridges...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wraffles

Wraffles
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Making America Great Again
    Falun Gong aren't the angels the UN wanted to make them out to be. It was China's mormonism, complete with attempts at separation from the state once they got too big and persecution and/or murder of non-adherents in regions they dominated.
    Falun Gong is the reason occultism is hated by the Chinese government. There's still reports of offshoot cults of it killing people, like that woman who was beaten to death at a McDonalds in Anhui. I'd have wiped them the fuck out too.

3. fleacollerindustry

fleacollerindustry
    Expand Collapse
    Nononkin

Turd Polisher
    Home Page:
    2016-07-18_00-41-06.

> $45 million = non-stellar
    > $46 million = solid

Make up your mind, Variety!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • oy vey oy vey x 1
    • List
  4. Choni

Choni
    Expand Collapse
    Anchor Baby Jihadist

Sony did they same thing with there statements about how it needed at least $50 million domestic, but now it is "very happy" with the success.

5. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    It breaks down like this-
    On one hand, the movie reached its projections, opened second and made good money for its opening weekend and is in the top 200 biggest opening weekend OF ALL TIME!!!(!!!)

But in reality, the projections were seriously lowered to be realistic and are nowhere near what the studio was hoping for when they put this into production. It also opened second against no other big titles and still lost out to an obscure movie already in its second week and that 200 biggest opening week list isn't adjusted for inflation so a lot of bad new movies overtake instant classics.

This film is in trouble.
    If you look at the second weekend dropoff rate of movies in similar circumstances like Hulk, Batman V Superman, Green Lantern, Wolverine and so on (big nerd movies that everyone ended up hating) you'll see that it's nearly 70% and that the opening weekend can sometimes make up more than 50% of the film's domestic gross (for good movies that figure hovers around the 25% mark). Now, domestic and foreign are usually split 60/40 in favor of foreign. But the worse a movie's reception is, the more you see that slip towards the 50/50 or sometimes even 30/70 range as overseas audiences get the movie a few days or weeks later and don't bother watching it if people in the states aren't hyping it up or outright calling it bad.

If Fembuster's dropoff is as bad as I predict, it might end up scratching 200mill worldwide, not justifying a 144 budget with another 100 advertisement and god knows how much in additional costs (John Nolte estimated the movie actually cost 500 million but I have no idea where he's getting this figure) (it even looks like the studio actually took away 10 million mid production, probably saw how bad it was going. Originally it was 155).

There's no telling how overseas markets will respond to it (bad US reception doesn't always translate to bad reception worldwide) and I can't account for the effects of positive press (having not followed what was going on in any other movie where this exact situation was unfolding) but barring atypical reactions, this movie will be a failure.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Gaegogi

Gaegogi
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Reformation Camp #24 Guard #52
    Most Hollywood movies nowadays bank their success on the Chinese market simply because of the consumer numbers.

Except you can't do that with the new Ghostbusters because the original one was never screened in China.

7. jerk

jerk
    Expand Collapse
    has no title

The Ghostbusters logo actually describes China.

8. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    It was, but it wasn't called ghostbusters.
    The second movie was also shown there and not only wasn't called ghostbusters but also having a name that had nothing to do with the mistranslated name of the first movie. However, the reason Fembusters isn't showing in China is because of an anti-ghost movie law. The "People in china have no interest in this" excuse was just a statement a spokesperson for the censor who banned it came up with to make china seem less ridiculous.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Gaegogi

Gaegogi
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Reformation Camp #24 Guard #52
    "No whites allowed"

10. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    My mistake, those 10 million are an adjusted estimant after rebates and tax incentives.

11. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    Okay, box office estimators mark the "break even" point at 375$-400$ million while Sony insiders countered that claim with 300$ million (but that sounds like damage control to me)

Correction to the correction - while what I said was true, It is also worth noting that Paul Rothman DID actually remove 15$ million from the movie's budget somewhere in mid production, in what may have been one of his only smart moves ever.

12. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    It doesn't matter if a religion or ideology is peaceful. They exist to line people's pockets, muddy the waters or otherwise take advantage of people. I shed no tears when organisations are persecuted. Adherents, perhaps, but only if they're victims of said organisations.

• Autism Autism x 5
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • List
  13. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    By the way, one person who DID NOT like this movie is Angry Joe

His review is currently the second most watched review of this film on Youtube with that one guy who broke the embargo being the only one to overtake him

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  14. nazca

nazca
    Expand Collapse
    Autistic Edgelord

Space bum
    Home Page:
    Hate that bearded fatty that does movie reviews with angry joe, but I think joe himself creates pretty decent content. Am I the only one here ?

15. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    I don't watch his stuff

16. BakaRed

BakaRed
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

I'm a little bummed it didn't bomb harder. After all the build of rage around it it's kind of a let down that neither side can really rub it in the other's face.

17. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    It actually failed pretty hard
    it wasn't as comically bad as people expected, but unless the foreign release saves it, it's shaping up to be a financial disaster.

18. metaljee

metaljee
    Expand Collapse
    Allah

19. Failstation

Failstation
    Expand Collapse
    Eurocuck

EDF's Trump Card
    How stupid do you think Europeans are?

...Nvm actually.

20. Wraffles

Wraffles
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Making America Great Again
    Europe can't save it. Need 100 million Chinese ticket buyers for that, and that ain't happening.