The Internet cannot be censored.

Discussion in 'News' started by zaiger, Sep 15, 2011.

1. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]
    Iran blocks Tor and Tor releases a same day fix. I don't see why people even bother trying to censor the Internet, it cannot be done.

Source: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/iran-blocks-tor-tor-releases-same-day-fix

2. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    Pedophiles across Iran rejoice.

3. Voodeuxfy

Voodeuxfy
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

I build cool shit, and investments.
    Home Page:
    Lets see Notch try that.

4. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

why don't these people move out of Iran if they don't like their country's policies?

oh wait, they often try and then get turned back because Europe doesn't want them. never mind

5. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    As long as they stay out of the US I don't care where they go.

6. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

they try to leave their own countries in order to get away from the extremism there.

then they come here and enforce such extremism themselves. wat.

well, actually most of them don't act extremist when they live here, it's just that enough of them do to make everyone uneasy about them

7. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
    Iranians actually want freedom. When they go to Asia, they become guidos and guidettes. This is really different from what is pictured in the news.

8. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

yeah that's true, you cannot allow a few loud extremists to speak for the whole population, in truth most people have good in them, no matter what they believe, I mean, we don't allow the few batshit Christians to speak for the entire christian population, so why assume that all Muslims are Jihadists? we may think different things, but we're all people, and we all deserve the same chance to live life freely.

also, you cannot kill the Internet, the internet is no longer merely a network, it is a living breathing entity composed of billions of connected minds and devices, and as a living thing it WILL defend itself and it's components from any and all threats, including governments if necessary.

9. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
    I really dig this philosophy

10. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

because in your heart you know it to be true. The internet stopped being a mere tool a long time ago.

we say that we have yet to develop AI, but in a way we have, the internet, though artificial, is intelligent. I mean sure, at the moment most of that intelligence is human in origin, but the system itself has evolved beyond what any human could do on their own. Soon enough it may become able to think without any human input at all, an "Emergent Consciousness" as it were will gradually form from the network, some say it already has in the form of Anonymous.
    What is a brain after all? It is a network of Billions of Neurons, and each of those individual Neurons has a fair amount of computing power in it's own right. You put them together in the right way, and you get a person. The internet allows the individual devices and people to act as Neurons, and from that a distinct person will eventually arise.

it does not forgive, it does not forget. expect it.

11. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Maybe.
    But there's one problem. Humans aren't aware of single neurons, nor neurons of humans. Both live in different levels of complexity

So, if internet becomes someday, or is already, intelligent and/or conscious, we wouldn't be aware of it, it'd be most certainly a totally alien mind, and almost impossible to communicate with

which is somewhat disturbing

12. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

not quite. Humans are already quite intelligent in their own right, so even if they couldn't communicate with the creature, they would still be able to at least monitor what's on it's mind.

13. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    I don't think so.

We aren´t able to understand what is going on a human brain, much less on an animal mind, even much less on an intangible kind of conciousness without all the somatic constrains that all corporeal entities share.

In fact, we don't understand at all how a group of atoms can form a solid object...go figure

14. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse
    It's not just about football

Judging you
    Home Page:
    This shit's deep man.

15. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
    Atoms are living beings by themselves which have free will? mmmmmmaybe

Well, as an ex chemistry student, I'd like to think atoms are mini universes in itself. They have things circling other big things in orbits and shit (orbitals)

[​IMG]

UNIVEEEERSE

16. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse
    It's not just about football

Judging you
    Home Page:
    Fuck, I dropped chenistry so I wouldn't ever have to look at electron orbits again. fuck you man, fuck you.

17. faggotmaximum

faggotmaximum
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

rape
    i don't really see how the internet itself is intelligent in the same way an organism is and any different from any other platform of group concensus

18. Regi

Regi
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

original shitposter
    Home Page:
    no wonder mate,Masturbation in iran means immediate beheading so they have censored internet to avoid phornography

19. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

however we can still observe it's behavior and extrapolate from that.

oh yeah, I remember all that stuff, but there are also some people who say that it's not a wave/particle depending on how you observe it, but rather a particle driven by a guiding wave.

I doubt it's a fully fledged universe though, it doesn't appear to be, at least not on levels that we can observe, but who knows, maybe down below the level of quarks or whatever the smallest stuff we can detect is, there's a whole universe in each one.

have you ever seen any other communications system reach this level of sophistication? ever? they've never even come close.

20. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Well...yeah.
    I supposse we can do that, same as we can observe the behavior of a termite colony and extrapolate...something...from that

I'm not sure about the utility of doing that, except from an entomologic point of view, but we can certainly do that

Complexity or sophistication can be pre-requisites of intelligence, but they're not equivalents

If they were, the stock market and Lord Lolington III would be intelligent beings

21. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

I'm not saying that it's a "complete" intelligence by any means, everything that happens on the internet is a deliberate action by some human somewhere, but it's only a matter of time before our machines start making decisions on their own.

22. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
    Two words: Fuzzy Logic

Startlingly accurate, somehow. the AI in Fuzzy Logic applications, I mean. It's like instincts and shit

24. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

right now, the smartest AI are about as intelligent as insects, but like real life, artificial life can evolve. and at a significantly faster rate than organic life due to being governed by different laws.

eventually it'll be able to reprogram itself based on what it has to do, and once it does that, it will truly become alive

25. faggotmaximum

faggotmaximum
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

rape
    speaking?

and even so, what difference does it make?

26. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    I don't know what a "complete" intelligentc is...but to me, it somehow rings with tones of antropocentrism

But anyways, I don't want to be a PITA, I think I know what you are refering to
    Maybe you are expecting some kind of "change of phase", in which the system reaches a critical point of complexity beyond which it organizes itself to a superior level of autonomy

Three mechanism must be present to do this: some kind of (information) feedback loop, some external source of rules pre-defining the (eco)system in which evolve, and some means to (physically) affect itself

It can be argued that these mechanisms are already present

If you are interested in this themes, i.e: emergence of properties, auto-organizacion, changes of phase in complex systems, etc, I recommend you read
    A Different Universe: Reinventing Physics from the Bottom Down, by Robert B. Laughlin, 1998 Nobel prize
    Quite basic, and a bit pesimistic in some ways, but interesting and funny nonetheless

27. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Key point there: functional intelligence requires a set of external means of evaluation to work properly
    This set of external rules, in our case, are emotions and instincts

That's crucial, one very interesting thing about people who suffer brain damage which prevent the use of the emotional parts of the psyche, while maintaing intact the cognitive/logic modules, is that they totally suffer from a form of paralisys of the behaviour, they aren't able to take decissions solely based on pure reasoning

28. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

that's true, without emotions and values you're just a meat-calculator, you need something to actually drive you towards your goals

29. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    You can totally censor the internet. By cutting phone lines between nations and using signal scramblers to jam satellite transmissions. That doesn't mean any government is willing to go that far, or that it's fiscally responsible to do so, but saying that you can't is simply not accurate.

30. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

don't you remember when that one guy decided to shut off ALL internet access in and out of his country? it was down for a few days, and then the people forced it back open themselves.

if you try to block the signals, you're not going to be around much longer.