The Idiocy of the Average - and Why It Matters

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Mikemikev, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Mikemikev

Mikemikev
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

http://www.unz.com/akarlin/stupid-people/

Robin Hanson once wrote a blog post about how reasonably intelligent people (for instance, the sort of people who read his blog) tend to overestimate how smart everyone else is.

For instance, about half of Americans are unable to correctly read a table and do a simple addition/subtraction calculation:

Only 52% could do item AB30901, which is to look at a table on page 118 of the 1980 World Almanac and answer: According to the chart, did U.S. exports of oil (petroleum) increase or decrease between 1976 and 1978?

Such is the banal reality of the American high-90s average IQ, which is still a dozen points above the world average.

Why am I bringing this up?

Because whenever I write about IQ and its relationship to economic success there will inevitably be the skeptical commenters bringing up the same old tired responses. IQ is just a number. It doesn’t measure anything. You are a pseudo-intellectual. You are an IQ reductionism. You are an autist.

Now I acknowledge that there are understandable reasons for this. You can say that Country X has an IQ of 100 and Country Y has an IQ of 85 – but what the hell does it mean in real life?

And consequently, why should the ability to scribble down something for some irrelevant test matter for economic success?

Moreover, this to an extent even applies to the people who read and appreciate IQ realist writers like Steve Sailer and James Thompson on this website. You might have a good general appreciation of the different average IQs of the world’s major regions (Global North: ~100; Latin America and Middle East: ~85; Sub-Saharan Africa: ~70). And many do appreciate that national wealth depends largely on a population’s intelligence, especially of its “smart fractions” (as opposed to neoliberal hand-wringing over insufficient deregulation or the Marxist jeremiads about the “Golden Billion” keeping the Third World down). However, putting the two together – at least in an intuitive, non-autistic way – is quite tricky.

Fortunately, the PISA website has sample math questions from the 2012 assessment, corresponding to each of the six different levels of difficulty, as well as statistics on the percentage of 15-16 year old students from each of the participating countries that is capable of correctly answering it:...

More at the link

• OP is a Faggot OP is a Faggot x 3
    • Autism Autism x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Tl;dr Tl;dr x 1
    • List
  2. Synecdoche

Synecdoche
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Work Time Fun
    Home Page:
    the real question is what is going to happen to all these average people once robots displace 80% of the workforce?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    • List
  3. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

OP cheated on an IQ test and still got 75

• I Agree I Agree x 2
    • Shots Fired Shots Fired x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Likeicare

Likeicare
    Expand Collapse
    EDF is my hugbox

Home Page:
    IQ does mean nothing though

Asian score high on IQ tests but i would genuinely say that outside of academic subjects, and when it comes to real world problems, those high scoring asians are on the edge of retardation and would have no chance at survival in a crisis

5. dropdatwat

dropdatwat
    Expand Collapse
    BRB, FBI

sooubway employee
    what are you talking about

6. fleacollerindustry

fleacollerindustry
    Expand Collapse
    Nononkin

Turd Polisher
    Home Page:
    IQ is absolute bullshit.

My best example of book smarts != street/IRL smarts is... the Valedictorian of my High School was a Chinese kid name Chao. He got straight-As, was in all kinds of honor classes, tons of scholarships, and was was doing just as well during his first year at UC Berkeley. In the summer after, he went on a canoe trip with his friends, but the boat tipped over. He never learned how to swim, and didn't even know to wear a life vest, and so he drowned. On the other hand, I wasn't as smart as Chao, didn't get any scholarship, and my only honor class was with Math. And yet I knew how to swim, as well as do other more menial tasks, and so I'm still alive today. I was dumber than Chao, but I'm still alive.

What's the point of having a high IQ if you don't know how to swim? What value does a dead smart person bring to society?

Chao's death because he didn't know how to do something like swim, something "dumb" kids do all the time because they're not spending 100% of their childhood getting straight A's, taught me a lot of how little value there is in focusing your knowledge and experience on a single field while leaving out other things that could save your life. It's absolutely true that a lot of high scoring Asians are fucking retards in a real-life situation and thus need "dumber" people to have save their ass in a crisis. That reason alone made me reject my Asian programming and in turn made me want to learn more about real life that I couldn't get from reading a textbook.

When it come to the work force, the ideal situation is equal parts book smarts/IQ and street smarts/work skills. 100% work skills and 0% IQ means you'll be a grunt your whole life and will never achieve any upward mobility. 100% IQ and 0% work skills means that you'll die fairly quickly because you never took the time to learn those thing you thought were "below" someone as smart as you that would however save your life. 50% of each gives you enough smarts to attain upward mobility while also giving you the ability to gain real world experience to survive a crisis situation.

#6 fleacollerindustry, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  7. fleacollerindustry

fleacollerindustry
    Expand Collapse
    Nononkin

Turd Polisher
    Home Page:
    lol my Dad tried to teach one of my aunts how to drive, but she didn't quite grasp the concept of letting go of the wheel after a turn so it can realign itself. So she had this weird left-right grabbing thing she would do as it turned back that only made her turns take like 30 seconds. Needless to say she has my Uncle or Cousin drive her around now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. dropdatwat

dropdatwat
    Expand Collapse
    BRB, FBI

sooubway employee
    I finally learned to drive last summer and during the road lessons i was specifically told about the "one-and-a-half rule": you're not supposed to let go of the wheel. i've always seen my parents do the same thing. your aunt IS slow af tho

• lol fgt u suk bals ololoololollololoolollollol lol fgt u suk bals ololoololollololoolollollol x 1
    • List
  9. Groyper Supreme

Groyper Supreme
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

IQ tests are relative scores. It's a ratio of what you know or can do compared to population of your same age.
    100 IQ means you are average.
    Which is why a certain lower scoring demographic always denounces IQ tests because they are racially slanted. However with the new tests, cultural ignorance is removed as much as possible and much of the test consists of manipulating shapes, and determining the next in a sequence. It has made little difference in their scores. However, guess which demographic now says these new tests are sexist?

10. Mikemikev

Mikemikev
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Yeah and like what's the point of learning to read if you fall in a volcano? Reading is bullshit.

• I Agree I Agree x 1
    • Autism Autism x 1
    • Butthurt Butthurt x 1
    • List
  11. Likeicare

Likeicare
    Expand Collapse
    EDF is my hugbox

Home Page:
    >girlfriends work colleague
    >chinese, studied business and finance and works in banking, probably studied for it since birth
    >driving through the desert
    >flat tire
    >doesnt know how to change one so waits 4 hours with no water to pay a mechanic $5000 to come out and change it for him

• Like Like x 1
    • I Fapped I Fapped x 1
    • List
  12. Likeicare

Likeicare
    Expand Collapse
    EDF is my hugbox

Home Page:
    To this day doesnt understand why i think hes an idiot

• Like Like x 2
    • Shots Fired Shots Fired x 1
    • List
  13. Mikemikev

Mikemikev
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

You know what anecdotes are right? I think you'd find high IQ people actually solve practical problems better, myths aside. And then there's practical experience, which an academic may not have. But this is just different training.

14. Likeicare

Likeicare
    Expand Collapse
    EDF is my hugbox

Home Page:
    You are clearly not high IQ because as always you fail to understand the topic of our conversation, which is asians are stupid and spending your life studying something does not make you intelligent

• Shots Fired Shots Fired x 2
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Mikemikev

Mikemikev
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I understand that the tards here have gone on an off topic tangent of anecdotes, reality divorced nonsense, and strawmen, missing the interesting point of the OP. I expected nothing less.

• lol fgt u suk bals ololoololollololoolollollol lol fgt u suk bals ololoololollololoolollollol x 2
    • Butthurt Butthurt x 1
    • List
  16. 35$ 'Girlfriend Experience'

35$ 'Girlfriend Experience'
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

This is not a The Member Formerly Known As Baya thread?!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    • Shots Fired Shots Fired x 1
    • List
  17. Maysam

Maysam
    Expand Collapse
    Pilot

(_)_)::::::::::::::D~~~
    Apart from basing the argument on IQ, I agree with the point made in the OP. But being insipid, uninspired and brainless slobs is human nature. If anything it's an improbable miracle that economic success is possible at all.

18. Mikemikev

Mikemikev
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

The point of the OP being that a tiny smart fraction drives everything amazing.

19. Synecdoche

Synecdoche
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Work Time Fun
    Home Page:
    Maybe someday scientists will be able to scan your brain with computers and figure out objectively how smart you are. I will call it IQRapeScan technology. And then we can start dividing people into alphas betas delta's and epsilions

20. Lazarus+

Lazarus+
    Expand Collapse
    Verbal Laudanum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j6_H-PSml0
    Home Page:
    at least in the far future

there is ultragolf

21. Mikemikev

Mikemikev
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

The brain scan can also have a power overload "head vaporise" function for people that fail.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Autism Autism x 1
    • List
  22. dropdatwat

dropdatwat
    Expand Collapse
    BRB, FBI

sooubway employee
    Why are you suicidal?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • List
  23. Lazarus+

Lazarus+
    Expand Collapse
    Verbal Laudanum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j6_H-PSml0
    Home Page:
    he calls himself a nazi

of course he'd be part of the group making the calls on who is life worthy of life

24. Mikemikev

Mikemikev
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Oh, I will.

• lol fgt u suk bals ololoololollololoolollollol lol fgt u suk bals ololoololollololoolollollol x 1
    • List
  25. dropdatwat

dropdatwat
    Expand Collapse
    BRB, FBI

sooubway employee
  26. Würst

Würst
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

Satanicdruggies kinder brother
    Home Page:
    Mike ur definitely low iq

27. Mikemikev

Mikemikev
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

no u r

• Butthurt Butthurt x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  28. Groyper Supreme

Groyper Supreme
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

black mike.
    Before the skin bleaching and hair relaxer.

• Like Like x 1
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • List
  29. fleacollerindustry

fleacollerindustry
    Expand Collapse
    Nononkin

Turd Polisher
    Home Page:
    This is the dumbest thing I've read today.

1. "look at me, I'm so different"
    3. Sports are actually some of the best stories ever, because unlike a book, you'll NEVER know how a game will end, and it'll be a different story each time a new game is played
    2. "Smart people" are missing a lot of things too. One major thing is emotional intelligence. I doubt they could properly lead or inspire any group of people.
    7. A lot of "brilliant" ideas aren't. There's a reason why no one understands your ideas: they're bullshit.

E: here we go: https://www.quora.com/What-does-an-IQ-of-145-mean/answer/Robert-Shuler-4

The same applies to other "smart" people. Neil deGrasss Tyson is a perfect example. I won't dare attempt to try to out-smart him when it comes to astronomy, physics, etc... but when it comes to anything else, Neil is dumber than a box of rocks.

The problem I have is that so many people assume that someone who is smart in one thing is smart in ALL things, and in my experience that is never the case. Everyone has some kind of specialized intelligence, but that comes at the cost of not learning about something else. In the case of my valedictorian, it's how to fucking swim. Others may know banking but can't change a tire. MENSA is a joke, because all that is is a club for people who are incapable of joining any other club. It's like, they have no other value, skill, or talent in their life besides "being smart"... they'll never write a book, paint a mural, direct a movie, win a game... all they have left is their "intelligence", so they join MENSA.

The sooner people understand to not treat smart people like they know everything and can be just as dumb as everyone else, the better.

#29 fleacollerindustry, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  30. PonyGorilla

PonyGorilla
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

Shit Eating Retard
    I don't know, the IQ is kind of dated, how'd you score on Jordan Peterson's personality test, Mike? Let's go to an EST seminar and work out what kind of business men we are so we can better quantify ourselves as people. Oh shit, Flynn effect exists - we're all going to be retarded in 175 years. Hey Mike - here's a measure of relevance, how likely are you to reproduce and spread that high IQ of yours?