The Binding of Isaac

Discussion in 'Video Games & Weeaboo Shit' started by Sublime, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse
    Everyone's Favorite Evil Bitch

Faggot Police
    [​IMG]

Any of you faggots play this game besides me and @$$Trooper? If you don't, and you use Steam, you really should play it. It's only $4.99 ($5.98 if you get it with the soundtrack, which is totally worth it) right now. I bought it during their holiday sale in December, and I have not had one single regret. Best $2.50 I ever spent, srsly.

It's about a little boy whose mother starts hearing "God's voice" telling her to sacrifice her son to him. The kid, Isaac, hears this and tries to escape by jumping into the basement of the house. It's a Rogue-like game where you explore randomized rooms of the dungeon finding randomized items and killing randomized fucked up enemies like bleeding-from-their-empty-eyesockets humanoids, or fly-spewing sewed-up-and-inflated-head creatures, or maggots that can either charge at you, spit at you, or wander blindly. And then you fight the bosses. How do you fight them, you say? Why, with your tears of course! Isaac (and any of the characters you can play as) run around the dungeons crying constantly, and by pressing the arrow keys, you fling your tears at the enemies to kill them. Have some screenshots for a visual:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These aren't my screenshots; unfortunately, BoI can't take screenshots with F12 like most Steam games. If I could, I'd have far too many. (And yes, prt scr is too much trouble when I'm in mid-game.) There are some fucked up bosses, too. As you progress through the dungeon levels, you go through the basement to the caves, then to the depths (complete with floating fetus babies who can teleport). The last boss in The Depths 2 is always Mom (technically, Mom's foot and eyes). The next level is the womb. Yes, this game insinuates that after beating (or killing) your mom, you climb into her womb for another two levels filled with hellspawn, demons, maggots, and flies. The final boss in The Womb 2 is Mom's Heart - destroying this finishes the game and you unlock some new item (depending on how many times you've beaten it before).
    [​IMG]

After killing Mom's Heart 10 times, you unlock the final level, Sheol, who is also the final boss, and the devil. His three forms are really fucking hard, not to mention the rooms that lead to him. I've gotten all the way to Sheol just to die by the enemies in the rooms on the way (that fucking eyeball that spews a blood beam.......DAMMIT). I've only beaten him once. Damn hard.

Okay, go buy it now. Here's the Steam link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/113200/. It's five fucking bucks, cheapasses. Although I highly recommend the soundtrack too.

[​IMG]
    I can't stop playing. It's so addictive.

Some good news for the UK: they're releasing a retail version called Binding of Isaac: Unholy Edition on the 16th of March. Not only does it come with a DRM-free copy, it also comes with a Steam key, the soundtrack, and a sweet poster featuring Isaac as he might look as a real little boy.
    [​IMG]
    Doesn't look like it will come to the USA (which is why I won't get it, sadly), but you may be able to order it online. Who knows. The other good news (for Sony fans, anyway) is that Binding of Isaac may come to "Sony platforms", which would mean, I'm guessing, PSN and the Vita. To this I say, FUCK YES. If BoI goes to the Vita, I'll get it day one. No question. Nintendo has already blocked BoI, so it won't go to the 3DS. But it would be damn good on the Vita.

So now discuss, ask questions, or just go play it.

Edit: TL;DR - http://store.steampowered.com/app/113200/

Although that trailer doesn't really do it justice.

2. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse
    I'm $$Trooper, a badass commie nigger.

Dank Memes professor of Dank Community College.
    Home Page:
    I've beaten the game, got all the characters (including ???) and now I'm just grinding for items.

3. TheDukeOfCrowns

TheDukeOfCrowns
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

[​IMG]

4th person games are not what they used to be. Good premise or not I care about gameplay

4. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    I did, too - my favorite is Judas. Too bad I keep getting too careless and die - in the Basement. Also, I can't seem to avoid getting hit in anything but the Basement. Fucking achievements (Cave Boy, Dark Boy, Mama's Boy) are fucking impossible.

Have you beaten Sheol with everyone? I'm terrible with ???, I can't even get to the fucking Womb. Eve is fun but her damage sucks. I did manage to beat him with Cain, lucky I guess. Been failing with Isaac recently - I got to his hooves stage, but fuck if those exploding eyeball worms don't fuck me up every time. The Wafer is the best item I've unlocked so far. I need to find it more often.

The gameplay is awesome, or at least it is to me. Everything is random every time you play it: enemies, items, bosses, room arrangement, even the secret room is random along with what's inside it. It is extremely frustrating to get careless and die, especially if you have a lot of good items, because you have to start all over, with all new everything. Also, the difficulty ramps up with deeper levels, of course. Harder bosses, harder regular enemies, and towards the end the early game bosses become the regular enemies. And there's usually two of them.

Anyway, I googled some gamplay videos. This guy kinda sucks, but it shows how you play and what you do and shit.

Part 1

Part 2

5. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    Posting random songs from the soundtrack.

Sheol (final final boss) music

Miniboss music

Mom's heart (/It Lives) music

Womb music

And the trailer for any lazy fucks who can't be bothered to click the links

6. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

GBP Management Assistant
    Looks pretty cool, I'm going to check it out.

7. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    Fuck YES, I just beat Satan with Judas. Fuck, I kept dying before I even reached the goddamn Depths, too. Phew. I actually took (prt sc) screenshots of my game, so here you go.

Big headed Judas (a mushroom effect)
    [​IMG]

Derping Judas (The I found pills....and ate them Pill.)
    [​IMG]

Evil Judas (Whore of Babylon effect)
    [​IMG]

In the Womb with lots of powerups and health
    [​IMG]

Fighting It Lives (used to be Mom's Heart) with full health
    [​IMG]

Fighting Satan (final boss)'s second form
    [​IMG]

Satan defeated! (Notice my health is almost gone, fuck)
    [​IMG]

Final stats and items - notice how strong Judas is
    [​IMG]

Goddamn, that was hard. But I'm happy I finally did it. Two down, only four more to go....

8. TheDukeOfCrowns

TheDukeOfCrowns
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Played. Shit damn, there's a boss called the Duke.

9. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse

Home Page:
    I need about 5 items.
    and for @Sublime
    Yes i have killed Satan with ??? (but i was damn lucky with my items/passives)

10. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    Goddamn, I don't think I can finish the Depths with ???. That fucker dies too easy, and those damn soul hearts can be hard to come by. If you get lucky and get the Book of Revelations, plus both of the battery items, you can have a lot fast, but other than that... Maybe Pill Bottle + PHD. I recently found the Dr. Fetus item (unlocked it a while ago but never found it in game), but I don't like it much. Shooting bombs as tears is a nice idea, but they're too slow and fly too far away. I was trying to kill flies with it, and it kept missing. Ugh.

How many items do you have? I've got 126, out of 131 I think. Just the few that I haven't unlocked from beating the game with Eve, Isaac, ???, and Maggy. Also haven't unlocked the Dice, since I haven't beaten the Womb with ???. May try it now.......brb.

Yep, the Duke of Flies. He's seems hard at first, but he's easy after you get used to him, and if you have the Skatole item (flies don't attack/get slower) he's harmless.

11. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    This looks fucked up.

I'm going to have to get it.

12. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    Attempt to defeat Satan with ??? - failure. Oh well, at least I finally completed the Womb with him, unlocked the D6 dice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fuck.

13. Ghost People

Ghost People
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Sierra Madre Maintenance
    Home Page:
    This game is awesome, just do the first level without getting hit and you get some great shit

14. Whatever

Whatever
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Existing
    Been meaning to play this again. I think I beat the game like twice. Pretty cool game, but I did wish there was more of a story beyond the intro cut scene, which I thought was pretty awesome. I also agree that the music is pretty cool as well.

15. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    By "beat the game", did you kill Mom's Heart twice, or Satan twice? Because you have to beat Mom's Heart 10 times before Sheol and Satan are unlocked. Yeah, not much of a story, per se, just a lot of fucked-up-ness involving Isaac.
    Especially sad was the very first ending, where Isaac is cowering, then God intervenes by dropping a Bible on his mom's head - then you realize it was just his drawing before his mom bursts in the room. FUCK. Some of the other endings are fucked up too, like the one where you unlock the Transcendence item, or the noose; of course, Isaac hangs himself. And then there's the final ending you see after beating Satan, where it flicks through his various "personalities" (Judas, Eve, Maggy, etc), and then he climbs in the chest and closes it. Then the super fucked up "Jesus Loves Me" plays. I can't even listen to it. OH GOD SPACESPACESPACE it's gone phew.

@$$Trooper, I know we were wondering about this earlier, but I still can't decide if all of this dungeon-exploring, monster-killing with Isaac is actually real, or just in his head. That first ending I mentioned may mean it really is all in his head. How sad would that be...poor kid. I guess he isn't exactly perfectly sane with all those different characters he becomes (including girls, Eve and Maggy). ??? isn't really Isaac I think. But the rest are, I'm pretty sure.

Also, I just beat Satan with Isaac, unlocked Mom's Knife. Fuck yes. I just figured out a very cheap-ass way to kill Satan - in his second form, stand on either his right or left side, as far away from him as you can be, and just fire, fire, fire. It's easier to dodge his attacks from a distance as they spread out. If he gets closer, zip to his other side as quickly as possible, avoiding his front beam. I had the Lump of Coal, which increases your attack the farther you are, so that was very, very helpful. After wiping that out, just dodge his feet and avoid those stupid fucking exploding eye-worms, and you're good. I wish I'd taken screenshots, but I didn't this time.

Sleep tight guys :)

16. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    I had a wet dream about Monstro last night.

17. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse

Home Page:
    Not gay if its just a head.

18. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    Good. Cos he was bouncing up and down on my cock, and I'd hate for that to have made me catch the gheyness.