Syria

Discussion in 'Religion & Politics' started by Dr. Rice, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    While people are calling for an "Arab" intervention. That won't happen. You know why? Let us look at the candidates. Iran and Iraq won't do it as Iran supports the Syrian government openly and Iraq supports it secertly (a high level defector stated recently that Iraq is sending money to Syria). Saudi Arabia and Bahrain won't send troops because they are not pro-democracy and it will weaken them within their own country to support democracy in another. Egypt and Jordan are too busy dealing with their own reforms and a military intervention would only strengthen their military, this would not be something the Egyptian people would support as it would only make the military stronger (which the pro-democracy forces want to deduce. And Jordan is too poor to afford an army strong enough to take on the Syrians. Libya's armed forces are too weakened to be a part of this.

So there is only one real option. Turkey. They are not Arabs, but Turks. Also I have been saying this would happen for months. So in before it happens.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/01/201211812136964281.html

2. xy0xy1

xy0xy1
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

kissin where it smells funny
    Home Page:
    inb4 escalating into another arab-persian conflict

WHY SO SYRIA

3. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    I bet the Syrian leaders won't be so willing to give themselves up after seeing what happened to Gaddafi. I doubt America and its playthings will intervene. The Russian navy docks ships in one of Syria's ports and they've made it clear that Syria is untouchable.

4. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse
    It's not just about football

Judging you
    Home Page:
    well, I for one would rather enjoy watching mr "rebel basher" al assad get a knife up his jacksie.

5. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    That doesn't surprise me. You're English, after all.

6. Gay Padre

Gay Padre
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

^^ This is important.

Syria is a relatively small oil producer with only 0.5 percent of total global production in 2010. There is no economic reason for the US government and its client states to intervene with actual troops in Syria. It would be a political disaster at home, in a US election cycle, for Obama if he did. He's not that dumb, it won't happen.

But, those pesky Russians can't be ignored, always messing with the bigger imperialist's game. They are waving a gun in Obama's face. Fun times ahead.