Syphon Filter

Discussion in 'Video Games & Weeaboo Shit' started by Lloyd, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

[​IMG]

I kept my PSX for years after it had become obsolete (before it went belly-up due to some electronic gremlins) only to re-play the Syphon Filter games now and then (or should I say ALL OF THE TIME).

To me, Syphon Filter 1-3 are some of the best stealth/tactical combat games out there and fuck you if you think Metal Gear or hahaha, Splinter Cell are better.

Anybody else play these? Anybody else remember the kickass levels, like the I-70 bridge or the PHARMCOM Expo Center? Video related, it's a badass track off the soundtrack of SF 2 to get you in that sneaky mood.

2. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

b.u.m.p.

3. Heskett

Heskett
    Expand Collapse
    Boyvinyl

Fellatio Aficionado
    That's old-school, man. Played the first two a long time ago. Don't remember much about them, except that they were fucking boss.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

They are fucking boss. Especially because you had to use your head a lot. This led detractors to criticize them for "trial and error gameplay", but I like games where the same 2 or 3 standard tactics don't work all the time and you have to think outside the box.

Like, there was a mission in SF 2, the above-mentioned I-70 bridge, where you were faced with a bridge set to be blown up when you were discovered, as well as two G.I. hostages who were interrogated and you had to free them before they spilled the beans, but the only way to save them in time was to snipe the captors from the bridge.

Took me a long time to get it right: first disable the explosive charges without being discovered, you had to do that QUICK to do that before the hostages revealed the intel (you'd constantly listen in to the interrogation), then give orders to your squadmates so that both of the interrogators would be sniped simultaneously (else the other one would kill the hostages). It was difficult as hell to pull off, but the reward was sweet: after killing the interrogators, the enemy knew youw ere on the bridge and would try to blow it, but since you had disabled the charges before they couldn't and then you could proceed to whoop their asses.

The thing was, you had to figure out all this completely on your own. You only got your objectives: cross the bridge and save the hostages, no hints on how to do it. Nowaday games take players by the hand too much IMO.

Don't really remember much from the other missions, but that mission stuck with me because it took me so long and made you feel so boss when you finally got it right...

5. TheDude2894

TheDude2894
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

But dat mak bwain do think. Me much rathar ply shot rushen gaem.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Lol how do I used tactics?

7. Murdoc esp

Murdoc esp
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

soy un vago de mierda....
    This game was awesome , lol and seriously the other day was thinking about this game because I didnt remember the name,I know they were a few stories but I enjoy it the one with the Kabul mission ...