SWTOR: Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Video Games & Weeaboo Shit' started by Fumo161, Dec 20, 2011.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
  1. Fumo161

Fumo161
    Expand Collapse
    Faggot

The game "Star Wars: The Old Republic" comes out tomorrow.
    Everyone is overhyping it like a motherfucker.
    So before I go on my sweet holiday vacation, I'd like to know if this game is really as good as people keep saying it will be. Show me some reviews, give me a video, fucking convince me that this game is worth buying and playing because I do not fucking see it.

2. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse
    Everyone's Favorite Evil Bitch

Faggot Police
    I thought you left? Also, why the fuck should we try to convince you? If you don't think it's worth it then don't buy it.

3. Solution

Solution
    Expand Collapse
    Everyone is boring

Home Page:
    Buy it, you buy it and play that shit as much as you can. Play it so much that you forget about this place.
    1232904062_hypno toad.
    Please, do it, fgt.

4. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    Try a demo or rent it, is there not a demo and you don't want to rent it, you can pirate it and try it, if you like it buy it.

5. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    I'm waiting for the private servers to be setup.

6. Fumo161

Fumo161
    Expand Collapse
    Faggot

Learn to read, nigger.

I never pirated an MMO.
    Is that even possible to do?

7. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    private servers

8. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    Well, unlike you peasants I have been playing it since the 13th. I am a level 26 bounty hunter, and I can say its fun as fuck.

I mean first off, you have to like MMOs in some sense, its not radically or hugely different thatn the competition, but where it shines strongest is in voice acting, story, and that sweet sweet star wars lore.

First of all, you have a single player storyline, that is entirely voiced, with multiple choices and lightside/darkside options that lasts longer than you can level (e.g. the typical player will be about 60% done with his/her personal story by max level). You get companions that you can upgrade, influence, and bang, and your own fucking PRIVATE ship that you can fly from place to place in, hang out with your companions, and even participate in space missions. The space missions are rail shooting segments, but they look wonderful, are good for EXP and faction rep, and a fun break from traditional leveling.

Crafting is pretty unique. You can learn one crafting skill and 2 gathering skills. Crafting is handled by your companions. So say I want some metal, I'll open my crew window. You can only have one crew member out and with you at a time, and they have a storyline, will chime in in dialogue, and fight for you, but you can swap them out at any time, or send them to do shit. So I'll select "scavengning" in the crew window, and send my droid companion who is kidn of shit in a fight on a mission. It will show you the missions, their relative difficulty, and the cost of sending your companions on the mission. So you pay your companions a few credits then they go off and leave (you can't use them) for 1-3 minutes, depending on the difficulty. Then they come back with shit.

You can do this while you're questing, PvPing, or raiding, and it levels up your skills. Same with actually crafting items, but that doesn't cost money, only mats. So its pretty sweet your companions pull their weight.

Group instances have a unique dynamic, because they feature conversations. Take black talon, the first instance you will do if you are on the Sith side. You face an officer who has disobeyed a darth's orders. So it shows everyone in your party a conversation wheel, and you can choose what to do (reprimand him, kill him, spare him). Then the computer rolls dice, and shows the party member who wins carrying out their choice of action. E.g., one guy says kill him, one guy says spare him, and the kill him guy wins the roll, you get a scene of him killing the officer. However, if you choose a lightside/darkside option and don't win the roll, you still get your lightside darkside points. Some items are locked to an alignment, and its faction neutral, you can be a bad republic or a good sith if you want, and your characters look different, much like in TOR. It really adds a feeling to your instance when your chracter pulls out a blaster and executes someone out of hand.

In your personal storyline, the things you do affect how your companions feel about you. For example, as a bounty hunter, I get a sweet little loli called Mako who is sort of a tech/hacker character. She likes it when you show a mercenary attitude (driving a hard bargain, demanding payment), but dislikes you being actually evil. So I lose points when I present a widow her husband's severed head, but I can always make it back in companion gifts later (which you can buy/find/make).

I mean if there is nothing else to recommend this game, its that your ship can be equipped with your own personal loli (if you are a bounty hunter class), and 2 parsecs out into space there are no statutory rape laws.

9. Fumo161

Fumo161
    Expand Collapse
    Faggot

Thank you PerpetuallyAroused.

I never thought I'd be giving you a compliment, but what you typed answered most of my questions and it was helpful. I'll give it a try. But geez... sixty dollars for the game, plus 15 dollars a month? Pretty steep.

10. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse
    Everyone's Favorite Evil Bitch

Faggot Police
    Let me rephrase that. GO AWAY ALREADY.

11. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    Hey, Mako has expensive tastes, but you say no to this face
    [​IMG]

12. Chainsaw surgeon

Chainsaw surgeon
    Expand Collapse
    EDF's anal hookworm

cockless
    If you have no problem against games with monthly subscription fees.

13. skylerconcarne

skylerconcarne
    Expand Collapse
    Not Banned

Illiterate pimp
    Home Page:
    You can't be a bantha. I just want to be a bantha.

14. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Wow, wow, wow! Hold the fuck on. Are you saying there's a separate singleplayer? As in, you don't need internet connection to play it?

15. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    No, you need to be connected, and you can do it with people's help, but there are certain areas that are "yours" e.g. you get a separate instance, your party can enter, but you can easily do that alone, so its YOUR story really. Like when you go around and you have to meet someone, you'll go through a special door that creates your own instance.

16. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Sweet mother of God! The Beta is twenty seven (27) gigs! How the fuck is that even possible?

So it's just a series of missions in an MMO.

17. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    Yes, but I mean, isn't any RPG a series of quests? At least these have full voice acting, alternate outcomes, and the ability to murder people in cold blood. I mean, WoW never gave me the opportunity to present a widow her husband's severed head and laugh while she ran away screaming.

18. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
  19. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    WoW is cool, but this game sound awesome.

20. Fumo161

Fumo161
    Expand Collapse
    Faggot

Yes, a good fraps video showing some good action of your character would be some good convincing on your part.
    Look forward to watching.

21. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    Ok I've started the upload, its gonna take like a day to upload though.

22. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Hm. Okay, colour me convinced.

23. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    An update, since the total video file is like...... 10 gigs, its been uploading for a couple hours and 2% done. I expect it will be done sometime tommorrow.

24. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    Oh dear

25. Michaeldsuarez

Michaeldsuarez
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

NEET
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic&diff=467114800&oldid=467112974 <-- Miosid_03 inserts fake reference

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic&diff=467119344&oldid=467114800 <-- Innocent anon removes fake reference

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic&diff=467119397&oldid=467119344 <-- Anti-vandal patroller reverts the innocent anon

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic&diff=467123393&oldid=467119397 <-- I see what you [Miosid_03] did there.

Wikipedians are so easily duped by faked sources. All Miosid_03 has to do was use "The Old Republic Gets the Pirate Treatment" as the reference's title.

26. Fumo161

Fumo161
    Expand Collapse
    Faggot

My level 21 Sith Inquisitor vs the level 24 Elite Lord Khreusis

Fine I'll admit it, the game is worth it.

27. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    I have my upload done, but its in another thread.