Spec Ops: The Line.

Discussion in 'Video Games & Weeaboo Shit' started by Baya Rae 4900, Aug 30, 2012.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
  1. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Played and finished it earlier this month. Was waiting for somebody else to make a thread but that didn't happen so here I am. Don't know what to say about it. Not much to say, really. Other than "you should play it," obviously. Go here and here for more vague info. Oh and use spoiler tags where appropriate or I will delete your post.

2. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Come on, guys. I couldn't be the only who has played this genre shattering game. You know what? I'm not going to rest until at least all the war vets on EDF2 have played this game. I think you guys will be happy to play a game that shows war as it really is for once.

@Stormtrooper
    @Solution
    @Atomic_Joe
    @TheDukeOfCrowns
    @MrGask
    @umkemesik

When I finished the helicopter scene again I realised that everything until that point, minus the prologue, was Walker reliving his experiences. I also remembered the billboard at the start of the game which confirmed my theory. Anybody else catch that?

3. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Sentient Game-Boy Thingie
    Home Page:
    Was looking at it at the base exchange today. Is it worth buying? I tried reading reviews about it without giving away too much about the story.

4. Dynamic Entry

Dynamic Entry
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Hokage

ehhhh.....worth renting

5. Massgrav

Massgrav
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Pariah
    Home Page:
    I did not like the third person thing, but apart from that it was good. Nice story too.

6. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    You won't regret it, if that's what you mean. From what I remember you've got plenty of disposible income, new games are relatively cheap in America and the American dollar isn't worth shit. Rent it if possible, buy it if not.

7. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Bastard child of Jigsaw and Kayako
    Home Page:
    The closest the Navy ever comes to war is about 5o0 miles off the coast as we push buttons to launch cruise missiles that will kill you and your entire village, so I would have no basis of comparison (just like OP).

8. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Holy fuck, that's perfect. Trust me, bro. You'll really want to play this game.

9. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse
    I'm $$Trooper, a badass commie nigger.

Dank Memes professor of Dank Community College.
    Home Page:
    Poor Lupo...

10. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    That was the first time I actually noticed how obsessed Walker was with Konrad because he said it was his fault despite it being overtly obvious that they were pissed off because of the water.

• Autism Autism x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse

Home Page:
    What did you think about the games attempt to "Guilt trip" you over your choices throughout the game?

12. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Through this entire game I knew it was going to end badly but I kept going anyway. I don't know why. I just had to know. I had to know why. At the end I realised that I was Walker. All the choices he made, even the ones I had little or no control over, are choices I would have made. Probably. It made me realise what an absolute monster I am. Not because I'm incapable of differentiating between right and wrong, but because I don't care. Because to me the end always justified the means. Even when the end wasn't all the worthwhile. Even if the end wasn't worth the means.

13. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse

Home Page:
    Looking back on it, I'd have probably done the same things too.
    I didn't want to do the things i did! i didn't want to kill all those civilians.....
    Didn't want to condemn the remaining population to death by dehydration.
    Also i did feel so sorry for Lupo, he didn't deserve what he got in the end, neither did Adams....

14. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Nobody deserved what they got. That's the whole point, I think. You know, it's funny. When Riggs was begging for death I actually considered letting him burn for penance. But then I realised that he was only doing what he considered right. They all were. Plus I really couldn't condemn a man after everything I had done until that point.

It sort of reminded me of Bioshock 2. When I was playing as Subject Delta (2K Games has a thing for the word Delta, it seems) I didn't kill any of those who attacked me because I felt that Delta was a mindless machine incapable of realising what's right and what's not so he would've only been interested in completing the objectives, not giving a damn about anything that was not immediately hostile. Like all Big Daddies.

15. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse

Home Page:
    i'm kinda surprised that they even allowed this game in Australia, any ideas why?

16. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Meh. The ACB mostly gives games a pass to avoid controversy. (They draw the line at sex, though.) The bureaucrats act like they're above it all but in truth they're afraid of the citizenry.

Also, why the fuck are we using spoilers for this?

17. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse

Home Page:
    I dunno, my post was going to have the "incinerated mother and child" scene but i removed it and forgot about the Spoiler tags, oh well, What did you think when the White Phosphorus shell took out all those civies?
    For me it was "....oh fuck."

18. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Disgust. With myself. Because I remember seeing that swarm of white dots and thinking "Looks like a good chance to wipe out a bunch of hostiles." Not in those words, exactly. It was a split second decision. Though I remember dying a few times during the bombing every time I didn't attack that swarm of white dots first.

19. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse

Home Page:
    I only got that shitty with myself after i helped the CIA doom everyone to a slow death.
    And has playing this game changed your video game habits?

20. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Not really. I was always a deep thinker. This is for those run-and-gun gamers. I remember playing one of the gang wars in GTA4's expansion the Lost and Damned. I remember going around a corner and seeing a whole bunch of guys come at me. It gave me such a shock and a thrill to go back behind the corner then to do hit-and-run tactics on them as they followed me. But then when I finally killed everybody I looked to the ground and saw one of the corpses had a trail of blood coming out of it. The GTA4 released in Australia didn't have that. But the expansions and combination pack did. I don't know. Something about watching the blood ooze out of him didn't feel right. I ask myself "Were they afraid of me as I was of them?" and have to remind myself that it's just a game. That they're not real. That it was either me or them, regardless. Despite the engaging of the gang war and the subsequent ambush of their fellows being completely my choice.

I wonder if I'll ever do that in real life. Lie to myself, I mean. Seems like that's what makes us Human. The ability to comprehend but unwillingness to.

@$$Trooper How about you? Did it change you any?

21. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    @$$Trooper Actually, it did change the way I play games. I've noticed that I've been asking how things would've turned out in games if the PC didn't intervene or was prevented to early on.

22. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse

Home Page:
    It did, I'm just not sure how.
    I don't play video games as much anymore, what games i do have on my laptop got deleted after i beat Spec Ops.
    Maybe it turned me into a pussy? Maybe my standards are too high? who knows bro?
    Also Konrads letter to his son was strangely touching.

23. TheDukeOfCrowns

TheDukeOfCrowns
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

I think war games are overrated. Maybe it's because I'm terrible at them.

24. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    They say this is an anti-war game so I guess it must be underrated.

:groucho:

25. TheDukeOfCrowns

TheDukeOfCrowns
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

That just makes it lame.

26. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Not really. I've noticed no anti-war themes in the game. It's more anti-shooter than anything else. It might be considered anti-war to people who have absolutely no idea what war is, however. (Like people who take the Afghanistan occupation's official statements as the alpha and omega on the ground, for instance.) That's more likely the case.

27. TheDukeOfCrowns

TheDukeOfCrowns
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

At least it's not trying to be art.

28. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    I don't follow. All fiction is, by definition, art. I think what you mean by that is it's not trying to be pompous? Well, it was made by 2K Games so make of that what you will. I will say that I found Bioshock, Bioshock 2 and Mafia 2 to be meticulously researched and Spec Ops is no different in that regard.

29. TheDukeOfCrowns

TheDukeOfCrowns
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

If it's as good as Bioshock it can be as pompous and preachy as it wants.

30. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    If you want to relive the genre shattering experiences of Bioshock and question the medium of gaming as a whole then Spec Ops is for you. I was actually reminded of Bioshock a fair bit while playing the game. It's got the same "epic journey in a sunken city" feel.