Sopa Pipa, what's the big deal?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by GSTalbert1, Apr 1, 2012.

1. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Part Time Substitute Teacher Full time Teal Deer
    So I am honestly less worried about bullshit legislation, hell what was so surprising about that? What bothered me is how successful the blackout was, in one day they fucked up everything and sent powerful Washington legislators whimpering with their tails between their legs in droves. In one fucking day. Before you start sucking your cocks think about what really drove that: Firefox, facebook, google, and wikipedia. Tumbler and Redit, meehhhh some effect but not that much. How many of the little lemmings actually looked at what those bills did? how many of you did? Did it really matter what the bills said? What we now have is a small group of internet corporations who now have unilateral control over access to information, which in today's world is more powerful than a monopoly on oil, water, and food combined. All of them rely entirely on a few set unjust laws that have no grasp of technological reality past the 1800's. I'm curious, anyone have any ideas on how to try and keep the internets property free? Best I can think of is decentralize it and bring a slice of those hundreds of billions to your home turf.

2. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    The only way for the internet to be free is a pirate internet satellite server. We need to start encouraging our users to "sell out" and become rich to help pay for this.

3. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Beyond a basic knowledge of modern tech I am most certainly a neophyte so I'm freely admitting that off the bat. That doesn't mean I'm not keen on learning. On your point, so that is the end goal right? let's take it one step at a time, what are some immediate measures and small fry goals that are steps in the right direction. Generally speaking the cities and towns that possessed a strong local culture survived the economic downturn. There are a million simple economic policies one could implement piecemeal to easily improve local situations. I am actually thinking the only way to improve the internet is to first improve the reality we live in. I mean start local currency scripts, subsidize local businesses' wages and prices (makes local biz more competitive in terms of prices and labor), communal monetary pools, civic supported social-cyber infrastructure, etc. Start making people realize that the money within a community leaves it doesn't really come back. The richer my neighbor is the more I can charge him. Aside from launching satellites, surely there's other means to taking back the web while lining our own pockets. Every major economy in the modern era made it by supporting infant industry, not free trade. \

4. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Take Wikipedia for example. Shitty site, horrible bias, and it centralizes a myriad of competing viewpoints under one lens. Why not have major Universities pool together their own resources and try and compete? I'm sure there's a million issues I'm overlooking, it's a shot in the dark but it's a start.