so I bought a butterfly knife...

Discussion in 'Hard Gay Shitpost Metropolis' started by Helix, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    and I'm officially hooked with playin' with the thing. Thanks to some helpful youtube tutorials I've already mastered several (relatively basic) tricks, and I just can't fucking put it down. Call me a fag, but that shit's like crack for your hands, and it's a pretty high quality knife too, especially for the price. Are any of you EDiots balisong enthusiasts, or am I alone on this one?

2. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse
    I'm $$Trooper, a badass commie nigger.

Dank Memes professor of Dank Community College.
    Home Page:
    Try not to take a chunk out of face while dicking around with it.

3. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    No worries man, it's pretty dull at the moment, I'll sharpen it once I get a little more confident with the advanced tricks. I got the basic open and close down, as well as the quick draw, pin drop, icepick, and what I believe is the basic swirl, I dunno already forgetting all the fuckin' names. I've been practicing the index rollover for about half an hour but it just keeps flying out of my hands...

4. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    I still had a couple in the drawers. More than once I have bleed for those, lol.

All the basic swirls, normal and extended, are pretty easy, but there some medium level tricks I have never been able to do, and the advanced ones are crazy.

Also, even doing them right, they hurt my little princess fingers...:tear:

Take, some pseudo-hot azn doing the drill:

5. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    Dem spins are hard as fuck, but I finally got the index rollover down, except that now I just can't seem to get enough momentum to close it all the way. I'm starting to just accumulate tricks off of YouTube, maybe I'll even start making vids myself if I stick with it.

6. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
    Balisongs are cool. That swishing movement is a joy to make

But never touch swords. Swords will fucking cut you wide open

7. Lucky

Lucky
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Funny, I literally just got done watching some balisong videos...
    Anyway @Helix what kinda did you get?
    I've wanted one for a few years and finally bought one a few months ago. Unfortunately I didn't do my research and I got a cheap Bear. It works for basic flipping back and forth, but I can't roll it over my fingers (and I'm not going to dare try and throw and catch it). I'm probably going to get a Bradley here soon. They're really good for the price I hear. As much as I like Benchmade I'm not about to drop $250-350 for one.

8. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

I've never seen someone fuck about with a butterfly knife who wasn't a faggot that thought he was hot shit for flicking his wrist around (practice makes perfect). If you really want to twirl something between your fingers you'd be better off with a cock.

9. Atomic_Joe

Atomic_Joe
    Expand Collapse
    Joevahkiin

Throat Puncher
    Home Page:
    I threw mine away after I found out that the only people that carry them are transsexual Phillipino prostitutes.

10. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    @Lucky, I settled on a mid-price Bear & Son 114, dropped about forty bucks on it and so far it seems to work just fine. Just look at mid price balis on bladeops.com, they will ship you anywhere in the U.S. for free and they're not taxed for some reason either. Its well balanced and functional, but I don't know how long it will stand up to me fliping and dropping it all over the place. I've heard mixed reports from "had it for a year no problem" to "it broke in three weeks." As a novice, I assume it'll last on the longer side for me, which is just fine.

There's one knife I've heard good things about, although I'd have to look it up again. I just remember that it was priced in mind 100's and comparable to a benchmade. The name was vaguely Japanese sounding.

11. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    Kimura, that's the one. Get a Kimura IV, I found it on bladeops for just under 100, and I've heard amazing things, almost wish I had gotten that instead...

12. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    I have a strong desire to abuse my mod powers and remove the word "fly" from the title.

13. Flu

Flu
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

milk man
    Home Page:
    Butterfly knives: the bane of every nerd, worldwide.

If you can actually master the knife and get good, make a video as proof. Because I have NEVER seen one butterfly knife owner who can actually use theirs without looking like a flailing spastic. Also, if the blade isn't sharp, you better make it real sharp or else it's not a real knife.

The rate of nerd failure with butterfly knives is unrivalled, beating out even nunchucks.

Good luck to you, Helix - you're a good man, but quite honestly I don't expect much to come of this... in a month they'll just be placed beside the mall samurai sword every nerd has sitting in his front room, gathering dust, caked in hand-blood and failure. Sorry.

14. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    @Flu , having perused YouTube for balisong vids, I assure you I know exactly what you're talking about. I -do- plan on sharpening it as soon as I visit my folks, they got an electric sharpener, two swipes through that and it will cleave through flesh like wet butter. I'll be needing a little luck, but if this addiction I have to the damn thing doesn't wear off (and I don't lose any fingers) you may very well get your vid in no time.

15. Lucky

Lucky
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Kimura is actually what I was looking at buying. Although I've heard the V and VII's are better.

16. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    Is there really any difference between them besides appearance and blade shape? I heard they were all weighted the same.

Update! My hand is rapidly getting cut the fuck up as I gain confidence in testing out some of these more funky tricks. It's a pain in the ass, but luckily I have these bitchin' antiseptic band-aids that fix 'em right up. I'm almost starting to like it, LOL

17. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    I had one of my balis blunt on purpose just to play safely.

Lol, I remember once in my shop, a new batch of balisongs came, but I don't know why, from one model they came with the safe handle in the wrong place, without warning.

I took one of them, and without checking, I did the the swirl opening, full speed, in front of a costumer.

It's always surprising how much fingers can bleed :oops:

18. Fraud Based Economy

Fraud Based Economy
    Expand Collapse
    Disinherited Nigerian Prince

Dear OP,

Congratulations on your recent purchase. Please stab yourself with it.

Kind regards,

-FBE

19. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    Or maybe I could delete the word "Knife" and make Helix look gay...

20. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

Fuck a butterfly knife. If I'm going to master some goofy twirly weapon, there's only one choice:

(skip to 4:40)

21. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

If you own and play with a butterfly knife, this is what you look like.

Sometimes the truth can sting more than a scratch on the knuckles.

22. Weezus Christ

Weezus Christ
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Savior

breakfast mummy
    Home Page:
    ive always hated butterfly knives although i have owned and fiddled with plenty.

if you want to look cool and show off, buy a zippo.

if you want to get killed in actual fight and look like a dumbass, buy a butterfly knife.

i read this punisher comic once where he fought a villain named "yoyo" with a yoyo that had
    saw blades on it and he cut people up with it and used the string as a garrote wire. it was fucking awesome.

a yoyo is a cooler weapon than a butterfly knife and when you twirl it around like a faggot people will be scared
    shitless because you have a murderous goddamn yoyo. thats the equivalent of vehicular homicide with a unicycle.

23. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    lol, why do you assume I'd carry around a thing like that for self defense? I don't need a knife to defend myself, and in any case, it's much safer legally speaking to use my hands.

24. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    That always pisses me off, since 95% of the time the bite handle is always the one with the latch. BTW, you seem like you know a lot about knives and shit, how do I fix this issue I've been having lately? Ever since I took the knife up skiing and got it a little wet, the tang of the blade has been sticking to the inside of the bite handle when I open and close it. I tried drenching it in WD-40, but that only fixes it for like, a couple of hours tops.

25. Weezus Christ

Weezus Christ
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Savior

breakfast mummy
    Home Page:
    i guess i dont see the point in doing something at all if the inevitable final result doesnt involve murder.

26. TheBrickBalls

TheBrickBalls
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Gay Nigger
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

27. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    If you have cheched for rust on the tang or the handle and saw nothing, there still can be two reasons: the handle has somewhow closed a bit, or one of the pins have deformed

If its the first, wrap the point of a flat screwdriver on a cloth, insert it in the groove where the handle splits to sandwitch the blade, and lightly twist so the leverage loosen the handle a bit. Try the play again, and repeat as necesary.

If it's rust, a bit of fine sandpaper and the oil will take care of it

If the pin has deformed, your screwed :D , unless the balisong has detachable pins, which is rare in cheap models.
    Try to check the aligment to see if that's the problem :

x1.
    More misaligment than that indicates a problem

28. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    @CallMeMaggot

Lol, I just got dirt between the blade and the handle, either that or the coating is coming off. Either way I just have to keep oiling it until it stops.

29. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Try to slide a bit of fine sandpaper between them

30. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page: