Shitty tutorials

Discussion in 'DeviantART' started by Mandrake Fiodor, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Mandrake Fiodor

Mandrake Fiodor
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

i guess most of the tutorials in Deviantart are utter crap, but some are expecially bad. i'm scared these ain't even the most laughable i've seen (when i find them again, they're gonna be posted), but meanwhile, have some:

i was expecting this kind of crap to pop up when i searched for some tips on feline anatomy.
    [​IMG]

this is a downloadable .zip seeing the preview of the finished thing, i'm not even checking that one.
    [​IMG]

this has over 1300 favourites. not only awfully drawn, anorexic wolves that don't even look like wolves, it doesn't explain shit either (though i guess it's a good thing that it doesn't).
    [​IMG]

now let's share bad tutorials. (mods if this should go to "small things" or something, i won't baww if you close the thread)

2. PsYcHoLoLi

PsYcHoLoLi
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

All of moni158't tutorials.
    here is one of them. If I post them all, this thread will be crowded like hell.
    [​IMG]

I don't see here anything expect poorly sketched stuff with arrows.

3. CuriousCat

CuriousCat
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Found this one couple of minutes ago:

[​IMG]

Note from the "artist" who made this:

4. PsYcHoLoLi

PsYcHoLoLi
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Typical DA excuse:"IT'S MEH STYLEEEEE!!!!ONE!!!"

5. Emolicious

Emolicious
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

the thing is people are making tutorials on how to draw like they do [shitty]
    which leads to an cycle of ever worsening art

6. Nomad

Nomad
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

95% of the tutorials on dA, especially any that tell users how to draw in a certain style

7. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
  8. PsYcHoLoLi

PsYcHoLoLi
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

That's because tartlets better listen to some talentless animufag dimwit rather than pick up an art book and study. It's very sad fact, that on DA pageviews & popularity > real art knowledge
    In other words, person with an real artistic talent should not get near DA.
    The Only thing DA is good for - making money. People spent lots of $ on buying works that can be done without any art education. LOl wut.
    Of course there is some decent art there, but it rarely appears.

9. Emolicious

Emolicious
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

10. Synthia

Synthia
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

^ Those aren't lessons, they're summaries. Is it all about the male body? I thought 'lesson 10' was just about males and the rest is female. I could be wrong though.

11. redline

redline
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

Artist comment on the piece:
    None of them seem to be specified as either for drawing males or females...just trying to portray a body part that is squishable. So this doesn't seem to be too bad for what it's supposed to be. If this was a tutorial on actual anatomy though... Well, you can see how great she is at that from her gallery.

12. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    The tutorial for life. School was nothing but a goddamn waste of time and money and energy.

13. Emolicious

Emolicious
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Either way they're a hypocritical faggot and some of those bodies are clearly male or female and they still have shitty anatomy regardless of gender, but also with gender. LOL

14. Ecludo

Ecludo
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I don't understand much about anatomy (my half-assed drawings are all crappy), but here are the things I don't like about this tutorial:

- The way this is arranged is confusing. The order of the numbers is just crazy.
    - Those holes under the female butt... Woman have a slightly curved area around here, true, but it's not that big and you can't see through it. In the front, he actually marked the anatomically correct one wrong, when a woman stands up with her legs closed, she actually does this Y shape in the vaginal area.
    - His male anatomy is too feminine :s . A male butt is less curvy and more muscular. And what the hell is that hole under the butt doing?? It's somewhat acceptable if you use it in females but in males is just WTF.
    - That male torso in the bottom has feminine hips.
    - I don't agree with the placement of the tail. It looks like it's coming out of the anus.

15. PsYcHoLoLi

PsYcHoLoLi
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Tutorial is crap, but at least his drawings look way better than moni158's.

16. SeriousBusiness

SeriousBusiness
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

Holy shit... so many anatomy problems, it makes my eyes burn...

17. KimmoAlmPhoenix

KimmoAlmPhoenix
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Budding artists need to just head to library and check out a book on physiology or attend a draw-a-thon event of live naked models and stay away from deviantART's tutorials.

Another lesson often left out of the advice of professional artists is that you need to study at least some higher levels of geometry to develop the spatial knowledge one needs most of the time when having a model for every single pose is just impractical.

18. KimmoAlmPhoenix

KimmoAlmPhoenix
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Budding artists need to just head to library and check out a book on physiology or attend a draw-a-thon event of live naked models and stay away from deviantART's tutorials.

Another lesson often left out of the advice of professional artists is that you need to study at least some higher levels of geometry to develop the spatial knowledge one needs most of the time when having a model for every single pose is just impractical.

19. KimmoAlmPhoenix

KimmoAlmPhoenix
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Ooops, double post. It handed me the error message that the server did not received it the first time and tricked me into double post.

20. KimmoAlmPhoenix

KimmoAlmPhoenix
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I must also point out the "I'm not good at math" or even worse "I hate math and won't imporve" stamps all over DA make it worse when learning to use proper spatial knowledge needed in drawing.

21. SeriousBusiness

SeriousBusiness
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

I don't think you need to know math so much as you need to know how to draw 3 dimensional shapes and manipulate them into the building blocks for the human body.

22. Nomad

Nomad
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I was wondering why that username looked familiar to me and then I saw this in the list of groups he is an admin in. No wonder his guys look so feminine...

23. Emolicious

Emolicious
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

*She

Turns out 'Zach' is actually a chick called Amanda pretending to be a dude so people will think her shit animu is cuter / to be more popular. Ironically denies being a girl but plasters 'A.C.G' [ Amanda Caitlynn Green or something] on their work. Srsly desperate to be popular and shallow. I may go and troll it a bit sometime.

I only know about this maelstrom of faggotry through a friend, lol.

24. Nomad

Nomad
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I see, figures. I've yet to meet a guy who was into mpreg (though I'm sure there is one out there somewhere). I've never understood why people pretend to be the opposite gender of what they are, especially when it comes to fetish artists.

As for tutorials, this was an old one but it's still one of the tutorials I was linked to by a friend (who was stupid enough to use it) that makes me cringe every time I see it.
    [​IMG]

25. Synthia

Synthia
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

^ Those are some creepy blank faces. o.o The colouring isn't to bad for some of them since it's cell shading but most of them are pretty horrendous. Pink, and grey? Nope.

Do it.

26. Nomad

Nomad
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Alright, I admit the coloring isn't the worst out there but it's quite flat as far as skin tones go and the outrageous colors on some and blank face look doesn't help it much. Also it didn't help I viewed this after seeing a two part tutorial on skin that blew that out of the water (also one of the few tutorials on deviantart I consider to be of any value)

27. Synthia

Synthia
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

^ I'm a fan of Navate. =) She's been inspiring me for a couple years and she's frequently featured in ImagineFX so her knowledge and expertise is a real help outside of finding stuff about digital painting on DA.

I was about to mention that it needs a wider range, but considering that it's focused on anime, I assume, they really don't go all out. But yeah, I agree. Mixing it up a bit even for anime cell shading would be nice.

28. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
    [​IMG]

fupa fupa fup fup

29. Clockwork-Like

Clockwork-Like
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

30. ge5undhe17