Sexism, racism, bigotry, etc.

Discussion in 'Religion & Politics' started by Baya Rae 4900, Sep 13, 2012.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
  1. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Now I've been reading some articles about sexism/racism/bigotry in "gaming communities" and I figure this hasn't actually been discussed here. In fact, the only time I remember such a thing being discussed on EDF2 was when I made a thread asking people here if they really were sexist/racist. Leaving aside all the idiocy and hypocrisy that comes with using either sexist or racist as a descriptive, I think we as a community can have a proper debate about this shit. More honest than most other communities, that is. Not only because we're so diverse and each one of us is much more honest but also because the vast majority of us abnormal psyches and perceive the world radically different from the NORPs.

Okay, so the resentment held by teenage males towards people who're different is totally justified. Firstly, they're treated as inherently stupid. Secondly, they're treated as inherently rapacious. Thirdly, they're treated as inherently expendable. In the west the call for legal equality has turned into a call for the legal subjugation of "White," "Christian" "Males." Regardless of whether or not you agree with that call, treating people like animals (by holding them to the standard of animals) will inevitably turn them into animals when they wisen up and realise that they'll never be accepted no matter how much they suck up. What I'm saying is this "anti-majority" mentality breeds "nice guys" among the "majority."

That said, this isn't entirely the fault of ideologues. It merely plays on the bigotry and prejudices inherent in people. Indeed, "anti-majority" ideologies might the most primal ideologies in history. The reaction is also true. It's easier for a person targeted by racists/sexists to condemn an entire race/sex instead of the racists/sexists. That, of course, leads to a never-ending spiral of generalisation and so on. You get the idea. Every single one of us does it. We generalise. It's easier to. If we actually started treating people as the individuals they are it would overload our brains and also leave us at a disadvantage since everybody else is generalising

In sort, bigotry is a symptom and not the cause.

2. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse
    It's not just about football

Judging you
    Home Page:
    so far I have yet to determine the cut and thrust of this thread. are we supposed to be discussing which groups of people we hate and why?

3. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Hm. I'd like to know the theories of others as to why one specific group of people is perceived to be more bigoted than the rest.

4. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse
    It's not just about football

Judging you
    Home Page:
    like how muslims are percieved to be more bigoted because of their opposition to any kind of freedom of speech or expression. their treatment of their women and the whole terrorism thing?

5. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    I suppose. Even though this was supposed to be about male gamers from western nation.

6. Zaichata

Zaichata
    Expand Collapse
    Here for the "Intellectual Debates"

Lazy college senior
    [​IMG]