Sadness

Discussion in 'Music, Movies & Media' started by Richard Lionheart, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Richard Lionheart

Richard Lionheart
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

One of the advantages of being my age is ive seen all the decent music as it happened. You Generation Z'ers have got a really shit deal, because the progres of technology means any brainless deluded cretin can attempt to make music and peddle it on the net, no talent required. Thus the requirement of good music, that one has a modicum of talent, has vanaished, and as such, your expectation of the skill level has plummeted. You listen to any shit these days and think it amounts to 'talent'.

It doesnt. Talent means I can produce something original because i spent much pain learning. how to. Most of the brainless shite peddled as music since about 1995 i wouldnt waste precious seconds listening to.

Here, watch this. This is the only kid under the age of 25 on the entire planet with even a smattering of talent.

2. hkh

hkh
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

prostitot
    i dont completely disagree with you

3. endsenten

endsenten
    Expand Collapse
    Knows where you sleep

I happen to disagree; nowadays you have musicians playing way better than before in musical performance terms, but to put it simply, there's no quality. It's just virtuosity without essence.

See this?

As good as he can be, that's where he gets stuck; this is an example of nowadays' technique.

Now see this:

THIS is what I'm talking about.

4. Richard Lionheart

Richard Lionheart
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Absolutely.

Good technique is a prerequisite to good music, but not a guarantee of it.

And good technique is vanishing, because the computer does it al, and people do not learn on acoustic instruments, which is how you learn to put soul into musicl. The rot set in with Human League, none of whom could do a live performance because it was all computer generated.

5. Morbidorable

Morbidorable
    Expand Collapse
    Vessel of Spunk

antisocialite
    Home Page:
    itt: a musical elitist tells those damn kids to get off his lawn

6. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    My God!

How many centuries old are you, bro?

7. Richard Lionheart

Richard Lionheart
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Older than teh internet. I saw the Beatles live at Finsbury Park in '65 and spoke to John Lennon.

I also got pissed with Roger Waters and Sid Barret one day, but thats another stroy.

8. Dynamic Entry

Dynamic Entry
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Hokage
    pics or it didnt happen.

9. Richard Lionheart

Richard Lionheart
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

what in 1967, what planet are you living on. The only people who could afford cameras where i came from were Wedding Photographers.

This is the problem with Generation Z'ers, your concept of the past is so far from the truth its not even worth arguing about.

*edit*

In fact let me elucidate further.

You can walk round today with a camera phone and take photos of whatever whenever. In 1965 you couldnt do any such thing.

For a start, you may not realise it but mobile phones with cameras wernt invented till the 21st century!!!!!!!

In fact, having a phone period was the province of the middle classes, the scruff att he bottom of the pile couldnt afford such a luxury, we all had to use the Phone Box at the end of the street.

Similary, cameras were not commonplace per se. People did not carry cameras about with them unless they were a) camera hobbyists b) the press c) the police or d) art students. Not withstanding the fact a cameras coudl cost you a weeks wages, you also had to take the film to the shop and pay to have it processed, again, the realm of the middle classes.

Then ofc you have the simple obvious fact that 18 year old lads on the piss did not routinely go round with cameras anyway, what would be the point?

So, "photos or it didnt happen' is indeed a truly brainless demand when we are talking about mundane events more than 50 years ago. You might as well ask for pictures of Custer at Little Big Horn.

10. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Meh, Bach is from XVII century, and not even the first to do "decent" music by miles...

Also: so...are you saying that you have 60+ years?

lol

11. Morbidorable

Morbidorable
    Expand Collapse
    Vessel of Spunk

antisocialite
    Home Page:
    i'm guessing they didn't invent irony until the 21st century either

12. Richard Lionheart

Richard Lionheart
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Yes, people do actually live that long....................its obviously a concept beyond you. I worked i nIT for 25 years. I started out writing COBOL 66 on punch tape on a DEC 11750 running minimac, and finished bulding fibreoptic networks spanning the enttire county using Novell 5 servers and WIN NT workstations. None of which i imagine you'v ever heard of, due to the fact you've only been on the planet five minutes.

13. Morbidorable

Morbidorable
    Expand Collapse
    Vessel of Spunk

antisocialite
    Home Page:
    why are you still alive? is it just to spite the rest of humanity?

14. Richard Lionheart

Richard Lionheart
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

No its to annoy the fuck out of teenagers who think they know everything. The bitten bites back.

15. Trixie

Trixie
    Expand Collapse
    The Nicest Poster on EDF2

I work in a library.
    good- i'm not the oldest person on the block anymore.
    yes... i am a gen X'er.
    and no- we're not shit.

16. Richard Lionheart

Richard Lionheart
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

The generation that Created WHAM and Take That? You're jesting, your entire generation should be emasculated for those two heaps of shite alone, not to menation all the other dross music and culture you landed us with.

17. Morbidorable

Morbidorable
    Expand Collapse
    Vessel of Spunk

antisocialite
    Home Page:
    ugh. isn't it about time for your nap?

oh, cry me a river, build a bridge, and hang yourself from it
    you had your chance to be worth a damn, and you blew it
    respect is something that must be earned, and unfortunately for your generation, overstaying your welcome on this mortal coil isn't how to earn it

18. Trixie

Trixie
    Expand Collapse
    The Nicest Poster on EDF2

I work in a library.
    that's genY....
    ugh! boy bands.