Ridley Scott's Hephaestus

Discussion in 'Music, Movies & Media' started by ExplosiveDiareah, May 5, 2012.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
  1. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

On youtube there are like 3 different trailers out at the moment and one trailer which is nearly 3 minutes long, but they are all very glimpsy and do not let you see a whole lot.

Anybody else looking forward to seeing this movie then being dissapointed by another shitty reboot?
    Watch the trailer in super slow motion and have a good look out for stuff that hints at the plot.
    From what it looks like, they become infected and start turning into something else (the crew)
    So in other words....
    Shit we've all seen before forget it.

Stop making movies you faggots, you can't come up with anything new.
    IT'S ALL BEEN DONE 50 YEARS AGO IN BOOKS.

2. Lord Raptor

Lord Raptor
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

It supposed to be a prequel of Alien, until someone thought they should run with an original story but still basing some stuff from Alien.

I think the movie looks promising, especially as there isn't much interesting horror films lately.

3. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I got really excited about it, i think Ridley Scott is an amazing director.
    But then i saw the trailer and i thought "Oh dear, Aliens vs Predator 3"
    Doesn't matter if there are no Aliens or Predators, while it's great that there are none, what really broke those two movies was the average acting and typecast formulaic characters.

From the trailer i can gather that the cast is your typical sci fi movie fodder, unlike the original Alien which had near middle aged actors and one actor who was in his 30's but looked over 40 (John Hurt) who just acted like people doing an everyday job, which made it believable.

The Thing also did this, they had a bunch of people who were scientists, pilots, mechanics and a dog handler who faced up with an extra terrestrial horror, I have a bad feeling that Hephaestus is just going to fall short of the mark of attainable perfection.

4. Lord Raptor

Lord Raptor
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

You forgot to include 'lazy writing' and 'mediocre plot'.

Plus they had Lance Henrisken (who played Bishop in Aliens) in the first.

I don't know what are you trying to say here. So if the actors aren't that older they are automatically mediocre?

By the way in the cast of the first Alien, both Sigourney Weaver and Veronica Cartwright were 30 years old.

Clear me this: are you talking about Carpenter's version or the new remake? And how is this related with Prometheus' cast being bad?

5. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Henrikson and Bill Paxton were from Terminator and carried on in Camerons Aliens.
    Paxton was Kyle Reese and played Hudson "frosty" who Ripley bonded with to a degree.

Oh sorry, i need to put a bit more explanation into that.
    The problem with the cast is they sound like characters in AVP and in the trailer, it kind of reeks of the AVP trailer.
    Kind of vague but i know what i am talking about, go watch both the AVP Trailer and the Prometheus trailer and see if you get a vibe of similarity.

It's mainly that bitch dressed in white who says "It's my job to make sure you do yours"
    the other is the female lead who looks like she will be the irritating rational one like Sana Lathan's AVP character and the Kate character from The Thing (prequel)
    You know the one i mean, the know it all character who figures it all out while everyone else is too busy at eachothers throats, and is the last one to survive to the end.

THAT KIND OF CHARACTER.
    it just looks worrying, the crew of the Nostronomo where not exactly memorable they were just actors who played convincing characters, but that makes them memorable now because of how terrible characters in the following movies have been.

Oh and i am talking about John Carpenters Thing about the bit there earlier on my other post.

By the way, the 2011 movie was not that bad, it's not as good as it could have been, but nowhere near as bad as it could have been if the production team where defiant against what marketing wanted.

6. h00t

h00t
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

pfffter

lies

7. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Paxton was kyle reese.
    History is changing again, and you just don't remember it.

8. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Okay good it's been restored.
    It's now Michael Bien Dustin Hoffman Michael Eisner Gilbert Gottfried Charlie Sheen.
    Charlie sheen was Kyle Reese and the role has changed, he fucks Sarah Connor grabs some blow and goes back to the future, or attempts to screaming quotes from the movie with coke on his nose and trying to put a microwave into a DURRlorian cars hood.

9. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Charlie sheen should be in a new Terminator movie, he gets stopped trying to cross the time border, but he goes back in time, trying to smuggle balloons filled with coke up his ass to the past to sell for profit.
    Because in the Future, cocaine has become so commonplace and devalued that everybody is poor, so he goes back in time to try and make some money.
    but ends up causing the disaster in the future economy because he is the source of the coke causing uncontrolled market inflation leading to bankruptcy everywhere.

10. Lord Raptor

Lord Raptor
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

After reading reviews of this movie, I'm not much sure if I want to see it in theaters. Looks like the majority of the reactions varied from good to mediocre.

11. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I never read reviews before seeing a movie because these days reviewers give away too much of the fucking plot, no wait, they give away THE WHOLE PLOT.

Then there is Wikipedia, because we apparently need the entire plot to be the "summary"

12. irapeasiangirls

irapeasiangirls
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Looks like just another generic shitty sci-fi movie to me. They need to make bright colorful flicks like this again.

13. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I saw Prometheus and.
    [​IMG]

14. Weezus Christ

Weezus Christ
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Savior

breakfast mummy
    Home Page:
    i like it for what is to me more than what it actually is, admittedly, but i thought it was fantastic.

of course there are always hipsters that are going to hate anything popular and shout at the top of their lungs about it.

thats not how you say the secret password to get in the elitist cool kids club, by the way.

15. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Prometheus was shit, it was popular with the fans of Alien who were looking forward to a movie that had NO ALIENS and had everything to do with Mr Space Jockey, and Ancient Astronauts.
    We also believed Ridley when he talked about this Movie being amazing and we believed it was going to be balls tighteningly thought provoking and really out of the ordinary.

And we were wrong, we shouldn't have come here, they aren't what we thought they were.
    Will there be a sequel? does it even matter? not many people turned up for launch day at my cinema, so i guess we will never know why the Space Jockeys wanted to kill Earth, oh well.
    THIS WAS ALREADY EXPLAINED IN AN EXPANDED UNIVERSE COMIC ANYWAY you can just pick that comic up and pretend it's a sequel to Prometheus.

16. Weezus Christ

Weezus Christ
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Savior

breakfast mummy
    Home Page:
    I dont think you understand what i liked about the film or why i liked the film and that's ok... The comics are great but not for the same reasons I liked the movie.

I enjoyed watching it but I'm more interested in the visual cues and hidden narratives than anything.

Not to mention this is the only big budget film in existence centered around tentacle rape.

17. Weezus Christ

Weezus Christ
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Savior

breakfast mummy
    Home Page:
    But out of curiosity what parts of the film did you care for the least?

Also I find it amusing in your first post you say that the plot has been done fifty years ago. Dan O'bannon, the writer of ALIEN said "I stole it from everybody" and it was only one film in a long chain of similar films.

Planet of the vampires being one with extremely similar ship designs and "giant alien skeletonized corpses" .

What sets ALIEN and Prometheus apart from the rest are the subliminal cues and hidden narratives. Alien was chock full of hidden shit people are still discovering bits of it.

Prometheus was enjoyable to me on a first viewing but I've since seen it about six times and I'm slowly uncovering the pieces of the larger puzzle.

If you'd like to talk about that I'm interested but reading more of your capslock rage isnt something i get on the internet to do.

18. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Alien actually takes more from Who Goes There which is an old short story about an alien frozen in the ice and a gigantic spaceship,
    but i have read about planet of the vampires.
    What did i not like the least about the film?
    eh, probably the script, 12 years of planning and this is the script Scott settles for.
    I recognize all the "hidden" visual shit, but at this point that is just cheap, Aliens vs Predator did that in their movies, and those were regarded as terrible movies, but the first one was good, it's just a cover for a bad story, Prometheus gets truly interesting right where it ends.
    And then you realize that you just watched a film where very little happened in 2 hours, they explore this giant boob mound and find black cum that infects people, two assholes who run away from life forms find life form and try to pet it, and it kills them, guy who fucks girl gets incinerated android finds ancient asshole, girl gets pregnant with squid WITH SQUID and has it cut out, then old guy turns out to be on board all along, but you saw that coming when David was talking to a guy, oh and then space jockey wakes up and kills people and Prometheus and captain and crew decide to do a suicide bomb for no apparent reason, they seem pretty casual about crashing into another ship and dying in the process, maybe they were converts of islam or something.

Then pregnant bitch finds her babby has grown and it kills space jockey who tries to kill her, and then that bitch and Data with his head pulled off fly off into the sunset on another space jockey ship.
    THE END.

19. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    I read an article about it. It looked really, really pretentious.

20. Weezus Christ

Weezus Christ
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Savior

breakfast mummy
    Home Page:
    confirmed for twelve years old. theres a difference between being on a high horse and sucking it's dick.

im done talking to you.

Dont you jack off to metal gear games? the most pretentious series of all time?

of course you didnt say that was a bad thing. personally i like pretension if it's fun.

21. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    There's nothing to jack off to in MGS games. Scratch that, I just remembered the internet. What I meant was there's nothing for me to jack off to.

But yeah, pretentiousness can be awesome if done right.

22. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

The way Prometheus went they may as well have just had the room in the boob mound filled with Xenomorph eggs for all intents and purposes, and the little ending with the chest burster was a hint that THIS IS HOW THE ALIEN AS WE KNOW IT CAME TO BE.

But wait, haven't the Xenomorphs ALWAYS been like that? in Aliens Vs Predator we found that the Xeno's had existed for a long long time, and a queen was kept under the ice of Antartica for who knows how long so.. we got a new species that started as black cum that is slowly turning into the Xenomorph species we already know of?
    The movie would have been better without the black cum, they should have made the plot all about the Engineers, and found a better plot device, or just better writing to begin with.
    Take some notes from Space Odysee and Mission to Mars, there's other ways to make an intriguing film without the need for ultra violence, horror themes that fall flat, cliche horror scifi shit, I mean critics like Roger Ebert hated Alien Ressurection because it did not elicit any thrill of wonder or real mystery or intrigue, which is what the Alien franchise has been slowly bleeding out since the second.

Of course, if Ridley decided to make a movie like that, he would have to expect not to see a big return, but FUCK IT he is Ridley Fucking Scott, he should be making a masterpiece classic not making one more cheap popcorn flick thrill that entertains the fuckwits who thought Avatar was 100% ORIGINAL
    So original in fact, it makes you forget about Ferngully and Dances with Wolves.

23. m450n_yuno

m450n_yuno
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Professional Basement Dweller
    I just started getting into sci-fi. When I was a kid I saw the original Alien movie by Ridley Scott and didn't quite like it because my attention span was only two points away from full blown retard. I saw these trailers on IMAX and I can't wait to see it. I practically had a nerdgasm when the dude says, "Big things have small beginnings. . ."

***Cue Suspenseful Music***
    WAAAAAAAAH
    WAAAAAAAAAAAH
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

The movie looks really aggressive and in your face. I can't wait for the shitty webcomic parody of Charlize Theron-Noomi Rapace-Alien lesbo threesome in space.

24. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I don't remember that line from the trailer, must have been a different trailer i didn't bother to watch,
    and thanks alot, that's the line where the Android guy puts a drop of black cum into this assholes champagne and then he drinks it, and he has sperms poking out of his eyeball the morning after, he fucked his girlfriend.
    who becomes pregnant with a squid that later grows really really fucking big and facehugger fucks an alien that then gets burst open by this other alien that was like growing inside his chest cavity that looks kind of like the original Alien but with a pointy head and some dislocated jaws but not like a tongue, more like protruding jaws.

Oh and the WAAAAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH was the same sound effect they used in the original cinematic trailer from Alien back in 79

You should go back and watch Alien, it's a very good movie, the skinny ethiopian they had in the alien suit does a good job.

oh and don't worry about these spoilers, the trailers spoiled everything of consequence in the movie anyway, they show everything to expect, from the proto aliens to the space jockey opening it's armour and the ship taking off then getting destroyed, by prometheus suicide bombing, because this is a movie not like the previous entries, and by that i mean it is a movie just like the last 4 and the 2 AVP's everybody dies, and nobody gets off this rock alive, except the dumb bitch who had squid baby, who is the sole survivor.

25. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I wonder if the whole squid pregnancy thing could have been avoided if her boyfriend stuck it up her asshole instead.
    or would her stool get impregnanted and she ends up shitting out an Alien feces hybrid turd minion thing?
    oh well, fuck it, she's a Christian she would never let him stick it up her poopipe he was lucky to get some without being married to her.

26. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse
    Ultra Furry

AvP isnt canon.

27. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

it is, it was made to be that way.
    and it does not have any retrocontradictions to the Alien quadrilogy.

28. Beefcake

Beefcake
    Expand Collapse
    Best-selling author

Yes it does, the origins of Weyland and Weyland-Yutani don't match up with the one given in Prometheus. Prometheus is canon, AvP is not (thank god).

29. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

But they played Weyland with Guy pearce wearing a ballsack on his face,

Nope, it's not Weyland if it's not Lance Henrikson
    And Weyland Yutani was formed after Weyland died, and his twin brother Yutani inherited the company of Weyland Industries, and the rest is history.

30. Akula

Akula
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

n/a
    Home Page:
    I'm seeing the movie on wednesday of next week.
    How was it?