Revolutionary Girl Utena

Discussion in 'Video Games & Weeaboo Shit' started by DDshoeshowz, Apr 2, 2012.

1. DDshoeshowz

DDshoeshowz
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

What is revolutionary Girl Utena?

Simply put, one of the best animes ever.

Let me first say that Utena is not a show about lesbians, really. I would go as far as to say that incestuous desire and incest play a bigger role in the show than homosexuality. Like many shojo anime, Utena is heavily inspired by fairy tales with princes, princesses, and red convertibles. However, in Utena there are numerous prince and princess, and princess who want to become princes, and probably some the other way around. Yes, it’s a mess, but that’s the way Utena rolls.

Reason to watch this show?
    [​IMG]
    Nanami: the overdramatic incestuous girl always looks like she is either really high, or has a stick up her ass.
    Now discuss.

2. Rock

Rock
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Pretty boy swag'n
    Home Page:
    It's for girls

3. Beatrice

Beatrice
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

One of my favorite anime. I mean come on it has shirtless men riding on cars.
    [​IMG]

swords that come out of boobs
    [​IMG]

and niggers getting bitchslapped
    [​IMG]

4. DDshoeshowz

DDshoeshowz
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

MANLY girls

5. GobbleDGook

GobbleDGook
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Be sure to play the game for your Saturn!!

Also, pause at o:19 for some thick nipples.

6. DDshoeshowz

DDshoeshowz
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

This will explain it all:

7. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
    was this the anime where girls turn into cars via car wash?

8. DDshoeshowz

DDshoeshowz
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I have not actually seen the movie where I heard that such a thing happens, so I myself cannot verify this.

9. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Does anybody die?

10. DDshoeshowz

DDshoeshowz
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

See, the funny thing is, I haven't actually finished the series yet I'm only on the 25th episode. :(

11. GobbleDGook

GobbleDGook
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Yep. The scene starts at 0:50 or so.

12. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
    I bet this is could be a fetish on deviantart or something

13. endsenten

endsenten
    Expand Collapse
    Knows where you sleep

14. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
    Wanted to say "I told you so" but my mouth's clogged with puke and gastrointestinal fluid

15. DDshoeshowz

DDshoeshowz
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

^WHAT DID YOU TWO DO TO MY BEAUTIFUL THREAD?!

16. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    MADE IT AWESOME.

17. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
    *your speech distorts, sounding more like engine revs than human words. you start turning into a white minivan*

18. DDshoeshowz

DDshoeshowz
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

*fap* *fap* *fap*

19. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
    [​IMG]

20. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
    [​IMG]

21. DDshoeshowz

DDshoeshowz
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

So...I just finished this anime and HOLY SHIT this is one of the most intricately written animes I've ever watched; one of the most fun comedies I've ever enjoyed; one of the most intriguing horror stories I've ever experienced; one of the most captivating depictions of evil I've ever seen! By the time the hidden truth behind the plot is revealed, the story has grown to almost epic proportions. It's not just about good or evil *people* ... it's about the good of evil itself!

It is easy to be put off by the stylized setting or character designs. It is easy to look at the character desings & dismiss this show as being "fluffy." It is easy to watch the first few episodes and believe this show is for children, girls, or fans of the "magical girl" genre. This would be a mistake.
    This is a mature, almost frightenly accurate examination of what it takes to break people ... to bring out their darkest motives and convince them to sell their soul. I have seen a room full of adults roll with laughter, cheer with elation and shiver with horror at this show. I loved it, but by the end, I felt like I was trapped inside "The Screwtape Letters," & couldn't get out!

Anyway, I'm still left a bit confused. I mean, I get the main theme, but I'd like a few thinsg to be made more explicit.

However, I'm still not sure what was the point of all this world revolution stuff and eternity.

Why did Akio started it in the first place, what was he trying to change, or was it just power he once had only thing he was after?

And why is it that students started to forget about Utena, or just remember her as just another girl who was dressed in schoolboy uniform?

IMO, this is probably because students and school itself is part of Akio's world, while Utena and Anthy aren't anymore.

Anthy to Akio: She isn't gone at all. She's merely vanished from your world.

But if someone has better explanation, I'll be grateful to know.

What was the meaning of Himemiya's fall when she tried to hold Utena's hand?

And that episode where those arrows appeared...

One more thing I'd ask is about Theater girls; what was their purpose?

Side story revealing?

And who were they anyway; I do think they talked to Utena in one of last few episodes, without revealing their faces.

That's all for now.

22. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    SHUT THE FUCK UP CLOSE THIS THREAD YOU FUCKING WEEB BASTARDS
    SHUT THE FUCK UP
    SHUT THE FUCK UP

23. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
    inorite?

24. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    SHUT THE FUCK UP AND CLOSE THIS THREAD

25. GobbleDGook

GobbleDGook
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

IMO I believe Akio no longer exists by the time this story takes place. The young Akio (the Prince) died when he was younger. And his ghost continued to exist and became corrupted and his name became 'World's End'. I noticed other people call the grown up Akio 'World's End' by the final season so this drew my conclusion that Anthy is just desperately clinging to this World's End character in hope that her prince, the younger looking Akio, would come back to life through the 'power to revolutionize the world'.

Young Akio's clothes look dated, perhaps he was really a Prince long ago. Maybe Anthy is way older than she looks, she IS a witch...

To be honest, the anime ends with such an open ending it's anyone's guess as to what really happened in the end.

26. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK

27. DDshoeshowz

DDshoeshowz
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I always wondered that, as in Akio is the only adult in the series. Why is that? Does he work outside of the system, or does that make him less "real" than the characters?

Also, I've started reading the manga and apparently the school is actually some place you can go from the "real" world. I always thought that the whole school existed in the psyches of the characters, not an actual place you could go!

28. GobbleDGook

GobbleDGook
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Akio being the only adult left me with the conclusion of him being 'corrupted'. He was older and less trustworthy than his younger, innocent self. The loss of innocense is a big theme in RGU. Not virginity, but the exact moment when one character takes an evil turn for the worst. (Like when you find out how Nanami drowned that kitten out of jealousy.) Actually, jealousy spurns alot of these instances where a harmless character becomes a monster. (The Black Rose saga in particular.)

Maybe he was depicted as an adult among children to depict that he was the only character that didn't belong in that world. Or that he was the only character that was malisciously evil, while other past antagonists more lashed out out of anger and jealousy.

I think Akio only exists in the school, he cannot leave it and he never does. It's like he haunts it. I wonder with Anthy leaving at the end if it means that he'll eventually fade away?

And I've only read Volumes 1-3 of Utena, and I know those have major differences than the anime. Actually my first taste of Utena was the movie, and the movie is a head trip even for people that are familiar with the series I think. And I think the movie best illustrates what the school really is.

29. DDshoeshowz

DDshoeshowz
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Gawd, I still haven't started the movie and I'm afraid of it "ruining" the series for me, however I know at some point I'm going to get to it.

I'm only on the first volume of Utena, however it makes the whole series a lot more grounded in reality which, oddly enough, I DON'T like!