R.I.P. DMR (september 9, 1941 - October 14, 2011)

Discussion in 'News' started by RapeRodent64, Oct 18, 2011.

1. RapeRodent64

RapeRodent64
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

ur mom.
    [​IMG]

It's funny how fickle fame can be. One week Steve Jobs dies and his death tops the news agenda. Just over a week later, Dennis Ritchie dies and nobody -- except for a few geeks -- notices. And yet his work touched the lives of far more people than anything Steve Jobs ever did. In fact if you're reading this online then the chances are that the router which connects you to the internet is running a descendant of the software that Ritchie and his colleague Ken Thompson created in 1969...​

2. Dynamic Entry

Dynamic Entry
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Hokage
    he didnt make an ipad.

so FUCK him.

3. Morbidorable

Morbidorable
    Expand Collapse
    Vessel of Spunk

antisocialite
    Home Page:
    Steve Jobs was a prima dona, that's why.

4. CONTCOM

CONTCOM
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Reminds me of Lawn Mower Man.
    But you're right; Marketing guy dies and everyone has a big sulk, ugly as sin programmers that don't have beards go on the scrap heap of history, if that.

5. Zaichata

Zaichata
    Expand Collapse
    Here for the "Intellectual Debates"

Lazy college senior
    Tragic loss indeed and another swell example of how people care more about looks than content.

Does anyone remember Amy Winehouses death? Sure you fucking do, as everyone on facebook put up pictures and videos worshipping that zombielike whorebag. Did anyone post anything whatsoever on the innocent 70+ (!) deaths in Norway that same day by a fucking maniac killer? Nope. No-one did.

Point proven, again

6. Immortal_Cake

Immortal_Cake
    Expand Collapse
    Noice

B.S. in Bullshit
    Home Page:
    Only by a couple years.
    [​IMG]

7. Morbidorable

Morbidorable
    Expand Collapse
    Vessel of Spunk

antisocialite
    Home Page:
    annnnnnnnnd scene
    *headesk*

8. irapeasiangirls

irapeasiangirls
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

And a money grubbing Jew. Seriously people still baww about the holocaust but barely anybody brings up all the other genocide that's happened since then.

9. Immortal_Cake

Immortal_Cake
    Expand Collapse
    Noice

B.S. in Bullshit
    Home Page:
    Because that one Turkish genocide wasn't as terrible?

10. irapeasiangirls

irapeasiangirls
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Don't get me wrong I hate arabs, niggers and spics. But Jews are every bit as worthless as they are.

11. Web v1.0

Web v1.0
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

On the other hand, none of the dead and injured had released two albums and won five Grammy Awards.

Cause: Wrong ideas about the other.
    Effect: Mass murders of the others.
    Non sequitur: That various genocides are "opposed" to each other.
    What's your idea on the hypocrite Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket?

12. Esther Nguyen

Esther Nguyen
    Expand Collapse
    azn attention whore

ED editor
    Home Page:
    He created Unix, the OS that Mac OS X is derived from

scratch that, Apple stole coding from Unix because they couldn't make their own stable OS on their own. To prove it, Classic Mac OS (From System 1-7 to OS 8 and 9) was complete SHIT.

without him, there would be no Mac OS X or iOS

also, without him there would not be any of those Linux Lunix or BSD BDSM distros on the tubes . haha take that Macfags/Linux Lunix/FreeBSD FreeBDSM fags!

13. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Everybody knows that Mac OS and Microsoft Windows are built off code that Bill and Headjobs did NOT create.

14. Esther Nguyen

Esther Nguyen
    Expand Collapse
    azn attention whore

ED editor
    Home Page:
    From what OS/code did microsoft windows steal from??

Also, im pretty sure that all existing OSes were ripped off from another OS

15. Akillyz

Akillyz
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

What ya buyin'? What ya sellin'?
    I understand where you're coming from but a lot of people these days aren't very well informed. Most people don't even know how the Internet was formed.
    Another thing is that although Dennis Ritchie helped to create the router, with is very important, if he didn't do that someone down the line would have sooner or later.
    Unlike Steve Jobs, no one would have countless of things like: the OS operating systems, Pixar, the "i" products, etc.
    So Dennis who?
    You'll be remembered forever Steve Jobs. You'll go down in the history books.

16. TheDukeOfCrowns

TheDukeOfCrowns
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

We remember the Generals and Commanders controlled the war, got a cup of coffee after the battle and headed home for Christmas. While the privates who fought the war lye dead hanging on barbed wire with machine gun bullets in their chest. Such is Life my friends.

17. Zaichata

Zaichata
    Expand Collapse
    Here for the "Intellectual Debates"

Lazy college senior
    That's not the point. The point is people cared more about a skanky whore who had been using illegal drugs excessively for years and years now, even having a public image that associated her with doing drugs, then she finally dies of the long-term consequences of her drug and alcohol use, and everybody just weeps, while she had it coming for years (best example was the website "When will Amy Winehouse die" where you could win an iPod by guessing her date of death). On the other hand we have over 70 innocent people, of which 64 were teenagers (!), who got brutally massacred for no reason by a maniac, and people don't give a shit.

Also, noone gives a fuck about grammy's

18. polyonymous

polyonymous
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

lol ur such a fgt xD

19. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Sorry Blowjobs, "iRobot" came first, by Isaac Asimov.

And to the hentai anime wap faggot, as i remember it, Microsoft bought MSDOS but i never cared to research it, because i do not give a shit, nobody gave a shit about apple where i lived till the Ipod came out like late, really like month's late or something, only retarded people bought ipods as far as i know, they bought it because they wanted to feel important.

20. RapeRodent64

RapeRodent64
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

ur mom.
    (insert tin tin laugh reference) OH, WOW.

21. RapeRodent64

RapeRodent64
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

ur mom.
    oh, and all popular OS's, ARM or x86 are still based of UNIX to this day, including iOS and Mac OS X.

22. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse
    Everyone's Favorite Evil Bitch

Faggot Police
    Seriously? The book was I, Robot. Damned good book, by the way. Better than the movie, mostly because Shia LeFaggot doesn't ruin it.

[​IMG]

On topic: it sucks that the people on the top, who aren't always the ones doing all the hard work, are the ones that are remembered, and the lower tier workers doing all of the work are forgotten or overlooked, but that's the way it always is. Also, Zaichata, I heard a lot about the Norway bombing, more than I heard about Amy Drunkbitch. Granted, I didn't give a fuck about Drunkbitch when she was alive, so I certainly didn't give a shit when she died, but I did get good coverage of the Norway event. Sad story, really.

23. Web v1.0

Web v1.0
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Well, it took me a couple of weeks for my mind to get a grip on it. So if "everyone" didn't "care", it may be a better reaction than you might think.

24. CONTCOM

CONTCOM
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

It's actually a pretty horrible reaction to a massacre.

25. Web v1.0

Web v1.0
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

But if the death of Winehouse was no surprise, but the Utøya massacre slimply winded everyone? No one had any energy left to write about it?

26. CONTCOM

CONTCOM
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

What do you mean?

27. Web v1.0

Web v1.0
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Wrong thread my bad.

28. Enig

Enig
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Dunno about you, but this makes me sad. The man responsible for pretty much all of modern fucking computing died, and people are paying more attention to Steve "Asshole Jew" Jobs just because he had cancer. Fuck cancer, it's common enough now that it makes me laugh, and yet fuckwits 'round the globe bawww like it was a nuclear weapon that was used. This man, the father of fucking Unix, is the important one, not Skinny McMinorupdating. Pisses me off as much as when the creator of programming cartridges died. That guy was not only black (Black guy made the carts... !?), but he died blind and relatively unknown. Meanwhile, people would flood the streets if and when Miyamoto dies. Fucking society.

Anyway, in my day, the nickels had bees on the reverse side instead of that house. If you wanted a quick shoeshine before headin' to the subway, you'd walk right up and say "how many bees for a shine?"...