Poll: Bic Lighters

Discussion in 'Food, Drugs & Alcohol' started by Helix, Jan 28, 2013.

?

Do you remove the safety from your bic lighters?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Hurrdurr, Zippos are better

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    Just curious, really. Also, I felt like I should show some kind of activity to prove to you guys that I'm not dead. :(

2. Flu

Flu
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

milk man
    Home Page:
    This is a very riveting thread. And YES, I do... because I'm not a child, and if there was a child around (which there might!!) he has a better chance of starting something on fire if I remove the faggot-stopper first.

3. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    Sage words, as always Flu.

4. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I'm an evil Scotsman and my name is Jock
    I voted for zippos but I never remove the safety from my bics either. I generally carry two on my person when I plan on smoking because

Zippos look cooler when you light them and light in the wind way better than bics.

But bics don't randomly run out of fuel every time you want to use them. Fuck you, zippo and your quickly-evaporating fuel.

5. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    Zippos are very aesthetically pleasing to me, but so fucking unreliable I can't even stand to see one any more. I've owned three, three zippos which I have meticulously taken care of, and still 80% of the time they never. fucking. work.

6. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

I don't remove the safety because I don't even notice it. Seriously, that's like whining about child-safety on a bottle of Tylenol. Also I prefer cheap lighters because they cost 25 cents less and they're gonna get stolen anyway.

7. Flu

Flu
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

milk man
    Home Page:
    As a guy who [now, occasionally] smokes down, I find bic lighters work the best, as the flame is solid and reliable, unlike cheaper Scripto, etc-brand lighters, which produce pussy flames. Said flames are cool for smokes and even weed, but are terrible for smoking down, as they typically only half cook the product before going out, meaning you're not gonna take a full pull, and you're going to compromise your high -- which is insufferable. And there's no way a Zippo, which its greasy black smoke could work well with smoking down.

8. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

Well shit, if that's a factor, this poll is missing an option.

proforceturboflameranger.

9. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I'm an evil Scotsman and my name is Jock
    See, I disagree. I smoke pipe tobacco primarily and I have never had difficulty using a zippo to light a pipe while holding it tilted. Now it's true you can hold a lit bic upside down, however a Zippo's flame is extremely difficult to extinguish from wind and is easily inhaled into the tobacco. It's a thick flame and it lights a good portion of the tobacco quickly. The only drawback is that the taste from the fluid could theoretically permeate a cigar or pipe.

I suppose matches are the truly superior means of lighting anything, however that's just downright impractical.

10. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    Those are amazing for really sketchy weather, I used to ski a lot, and I'd always use one of these to toke on the lift. The problem is, it's too damn hot and it wastes a lot of bud. It's great if you just smoke cigs, or crack.

11. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

I automatically assume that anyone holding one is smoking rocks. No exceptions.

12. umkemesik

umkemesik
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Internet Stalker
    Home Page:
    My Dad's a foreman for a Demo Company and used a fucking blow torch to light his shit up.

13. Ktastic

Ktastic
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Shoop
    Actually, a lot of the cheapo crack lighters, particularly the ones which have the flimsy, easy to remove metal heat shields, can be turned into wicked flamethrowers.

If you bend the shields off, there is this little black gear with a bit that usually sticks out of the front of the shield, allowing you to adjust the flame strength by opening/closing the lighter fluid valve. Once the shield is off, you can move the little gear further to the open position, pull the gear off, put it back in the opposite direction and continue to repeat this process until you have the valve open to the point it shoots a flame out that can be at least a foot long if not more.

You have to be careful as you can open it too far to the point that the fluid is coming out without the button pressed down. I imagine you may also run the risk of detonating the lighter itself, if an inexperienced pyro.

Bonus Points: Get two lighters, amp them with above method and point them so their flames combine into one for massive fireballs.

High Score: Grab more of these and rig them together in a device that can trigger them all at the same time. Even better if you build it into a fireproof glove, so you launch streams of flame from your wrist, Spidey style.

If I remember to pick one up when I run to the store later, I'll post some pics.

P.S. Zippos suck for smoking weed.

14. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    Well, now we all have something fun to try when we get home, don't we? At the very least, I could be a fuckin' badass and light a bowl from a foot away sear somebody's face/fingers off.

15. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

This is always an option.

Bbq-Lighter-M3010.

Double ridiculous points for smoking your cigarette out of an extra long extender.

16. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    It's like a flashback to freshman year, when I was actually young enough for the dudes at 7-11 to refuse to sell me lighters. High school freshman, mind you.

17. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

The good ol' days. When the sticker on your lighter can conjure awe and amazement from your peers. On an unrelated note, I had a cheap lighter explode in my pants once. Didn't hurt, actually it was cold as fuck, but it looked like I pissed my pants.

18. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

And the transformation from EDF to TOTSE is complete. Well done @Helix, I hope you're real fucking proud of yourself.

19. Atomic_Joe

Atomic_Joe
    Expand Collapse
    Joevahkiin

Throat Puncher
    Home Page:
    When I'm too lazy to refill the fluid on my Zippo, I whip out the butane lighter, strictly because butane lighters make you look like a heroin addict...which is hilarious.

And I like to remove the child safety because I spend most of my free time chewing my nails and shit. It's one of the little things I like to treat myself with, an easily lit lighter.

20. Ktastic

Ktastic
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Shoop
    I can do you one better. There's some brands of laser pointers which can be tweaked via a miniature dial/screw usually located inside the metal compartment, on the circuit board, which can be adjusted to up the MW of the laser to the point where it can be used to light something on fire. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to buying a shitload of laser pointers to figure out precisely which variety is fully capable of this, but I do know they are out there, as most for-comercial-sale pointers are intentionally neutered variants of more powerful lasers since it's cheaper to do it that way than create different special circuit boards that cap the power of the laser by the board's design itself.

You can find plenty of shit like this on youtube quite easily.

21. Weezus Christ

Weezus Christ
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Savior

breakfast mummy
    Home Page:
    my zippo looks like this

[​IMG]

22. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    Should I be? I don't even know what the fuck that is. In any case, I don't really care, I don't have a whole lot vested in this place, actual socializing and college tend to take up most of my time :)