1. Email server is down and i have to manually confirm accounts at the moment. Check forum regularly to see if your account has been approved, you wont get an email. Sorry about the wait
    Dismiss Notice

Obama sets Manning free

Discussion in 'News' started by uberfukken, Jan 17, 2017.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums

Encyclopedia Dramatica is being sued by a very wealthy serial litigator. This is not just another "gimme shekels for server" - the future of ED is at stake. We are asking for donations to fund our legal battle, all money raised goes entirely towards attorney fees. Please help with whatever you can, every donation is deeply appreciated.

Donate to the Encyclopedia Dramatica Legal FundJoin the Discussion Thread

1. wretchedgretchen

wretchedgretchen
    Expand Collapse
    Not funny anymore

<3
    • I Agree I Agree x 2
    • Good Question Good Question x 2
    • List
  2. Stumbles

Stumbles
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I started to think he was willing to do out of fear for his life but I always knew he and Wikileaks were bullshit artists. Assange will continue living with the hispanics.

3. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    obsolete mule

I'm loving the cognitive dissonance from the right when it comes to Wikileaks.

Leaks are good as long as they hurt democrats. Any other leaks are bad and Manning should be in jail forever.

• Like Like x 3
    • I Agree I Agree x 2
    • Trigger Warning Trigger Warning x 1
    • Kill Yourself Kill Yourself x 1
    • List
  4. Stumbles

Stumbles
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

The left is the same way, they hated seeing their dirty laundry.

Manning deserves prison because he leaked classified information in violation of the code of uniformed military justice. He didn't know what he was leaking just blindly leaked.

5. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    obsolete mule

Manning knew what he leaked. It was video of a US helicopter killing AP journalists. All the other stuff (diplomatic cables, afgan war logs) were fairly harmless aside from a few quips of diplomats talking shit behind each other's backs. Collateral Murder was the meat and potatoes and he leaked that with a very specific goal in mind.

6. Stumbles

Stumbles
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Honestly there was nothing wrong with that video. Reuters reporters were hanging out in a war zone with the wrong crowd on the day that US soldiers got attacked. Shitty for them but they weren't wearing the special reporter vests.

7. Doomlord666

Doomlord666
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Rummy
    snowden has 3 days to put on a cute wig and call himself elaine.

8. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    obsolete mule

You'd think those giant CRT video cameras would give it away. The international community doesn't share your sentiments, nor does Associated Press who were lied to up until the video was released.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Stumbles

Stumbles
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Giant? The screen is small in the cockpit of an apache helicopter. It's about four or five inches big and they are moving around a couple hundred feet above so the picture is a little blurry when identifying targets. The system on the apache isn't exactly state of the art in 2007. Camera with telephoto lenses look like weapons. They didn't wear the reporter vest so they looked like the insurgents around them who were carrying rifles and RPGs. It also didn't help that Reuters was working independently so the military and had no idea they were in the area.

Wrong place at the wrong time. Sucks for Reuters but a good lesson for people why you shouldn't let journalists near non-uniformed combatants in a war zone.

10. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    obsolete mule

Or maybe you shouldn't send attack choppers to civilian zones with orders to seek and destroy. Where's the reconnaissance and intelligence? This ain't 1940.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    • List
  11. Stumbles

Stumbles
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

It's an insurgency with the enemy dressed at civilians using guerilla tactics. The Army had ground troops in the area which had already had reporter RPG attacks. This is happening in real time. If this was 1940 it would of been way easier to identify troop movements because guess what? They wore uniforms and had military materiel that could be identified easily. German soldiers didn't dress like French civilians, in fact if they got caught they would of been executed on the spot as per international law.

12. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    obsolete mule

So if it's not a big deal, why did Manning get 35 years? Something to hide?

• List
  13. Stumbles

Stumbles
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Manning despite qualifying for a section 8 discharge was a sworn member of the United States Armed Forces. He held a very high clearance, TS/SCI, and was obligated to follow the code of uniformed military justice in regards to handling classified information that he had regular access to. He took a bunch of stuff, only collateral murder and the 2009 bomber video were the material he knew what they were, the rest was stuff he blindly took and gave it to Wikileaks. He violated the laws that US service members are beholden to the whole time they are in the service. He was lucky he didn't get life in prison for aiding and abetting the enemy only because what he blindly took wasn't that compromising. He knowingly violated the law to become a martyr. That is why he got convicted in a court martial.

• Butthurt Butthurt x 1
    • List
  14. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    obsolete mule

Meanwhile, James Cartwright leaks that the US engaged in a direct attack against Iran with Stuxnet, gets six months and a pardon before serving a single day. He could have started WW3 with that leak. Where's his life in prison?

• List
  15. Stumbles

Stumbles
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Sounds like you should take that up with your boy Obama, he pardoned him after all. Also he was retired when he did that, basically inactive. He couldn't go before a court martial so it was a civil matter. Way easier to get muddied up. FYI Obama really liked Cartwright.

• List
  16. Wanklin Dick

Wanklin Dick
    Expand Collapse
    Has Macrophilia

Slowly Declining
    Right and left is just identity politics. Lazy shits can't be bothered to actually form an opinion. Bradley, Wikileaks, Snowden. You are either for or against them.

• I Agree I Agree x 2
    • Feels Feels x 1
    • List
  17. Rodion

Rodion
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I'm not sure reporters are street smart enough to distinguish non-uniformed combatants from civilians.

Sure we don't need a leaky military, but the things he leaked revealed the government's lies to the American public and international community in many respects beyond just the fact that they watch us jerk off or possibly shitpost radical shit.

You don't have to approve of any traitorous leaks to disapprove of what the leaks reveal about our society.

• Like Like x 1
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • List
  18. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    obsolete mule

Manning leaks make the US look strategically incompetent.

Cartwight leaks make the US look technologically superior.

Manning almost brought the US warcrime charges, Cartwright almost brought the US into a new world war.

Manning gets 35 years, Cartwright gets six months.

All I'm saying is the time should fit the crime.

19. Stumbles

Stumbles
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

The reporters were looking for the insurgents to get that side of the battle for reporting (David Finkel's interview with NPR). They were among company of armed men that the air crew saw on screen. After the attack, two RPGs and an AK were recovered. Not hard to figure out if someone is an insurgent when they are armed.

20. Stumbles

Stumbles
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I get where you are coming from although I think WW3 is a gross exaggeration. Cartwright in a civil court was expected to get two years, no criminal intent just lying to the FBI and violating the terms of his security clearance. If he was Court Martialed he would of gotten more but he was retired when he leaked. Plus what he leaked wasn't a blind leak and had the potential to piss of Iran, which boo-hoo nobody in their right minds wants them to have nukes. Manning violated way more laws just because he was moving classified data from SIPRNET and handing it off to Wikileaks. Cartwright didn't deserve to get off because he shouldn't of talked to the press.

A similar case to this is the Samuel Loring Morison leak to Jane's Defense. He leaked classified photos of Soviet ships to the magazine where prosecutors argued he was also using that to leverage a job with Janes. He was locked up for over a decade before Clinton pardoned him in 2001.