Nanotechnology and Space Elevators

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by uberfukken, Oct 15, 2013.

1. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

The biggest hurdle of space exploration is the cost of exiting the Earth's gravitational pull. NASA runs up $10,000 per pound of payload launched into orbit. That spells forty million dollars to launch a midsize Sedan into space.

Once a vessel is in orbit, it's relatively self sufficient as it relies on gravity for movement.

A space elevator will eliminate the need for dangerous rockets propelling matter to the outer reaches of our atmosphere. The general concept is a cable latched to the ocean floor which reaches to a station orbiting the planet.

[​IMG]

Sounds pretty simple until you consider the logistics of what kind of cable is needed. For starters, it would have to be over 35,000km long and be able to withhold it's own weight. Titanium is out of the question, as it has a breaking point somewhere around 20km.

Meet Carbon Nanotubes

They've been around since the 90s, however it wasn't until the last few years that major breakthroughs were made on the technology. Just last month the first ever carbon nanotube computer was created.
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v501/n7468/full/nature12502.html

They're predicted to have a breaking point at 6000km, making them a prime candidate for the cable. Unfortunately this technology has received little to no government funding.

If a space elevator is implemented, the estimated cost of transporting payload goes from $10,000/pound to $100/pound, making space exploration and colonization a reality.

One company in Japan is aiming to have this done by 2050.
    https://www.obayashi.co.jp/english/
    http://www.space.com/14656-japanese-space-elevator-2050-proposal.html

2. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    I won Civilization by building one of these I think.

It wasn't that hard, as long as the game was set on Easy.

Pretty pissweak way to win though. It's moar fun to squash your enemies and feed lamingtons to their womens.

Building Modern Armour and then attacking cunts who are still on horseback was fun. Pity World of Tanks doesn't have that as an option. It would be great to be able to run over a horse. I might finally win a battle instead of getting the shit blown out of me all the time. Probably doesn't help that I only play it when pissed as a fart.

Speaking of farting, I had fried onions last night, so today I'm farting like a motherfucker. Really rancid bombs too.

Not sure how we got from the space elevator to my rectum, but there you go.

3. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

The best way to win Civilization is nazi style. Build tanks while everyone's still on horseback.

4. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    Fuck yeah. None of that faggy diplomacy. Hordes of tanks supported by stealth bombers raping the fuck out of everyone :D

5. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

There is nothing more satisfying than a platoon of pikemen trying to raid your town only to get wiped out by fucking machine gun fire :gaben:

6. Cock

Cock
    Expand Collapse
    Doctor

Rapist
    Home Page:
    A 9/11 on that thing would be pretty hilarious, wouldn't it?

7. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse
    It's not just about football

Judging you
    Home Page:
    typical mudslime thing to do though. catastrophic attack on one of mankinds greatest technological achievements because it's against allah or something.

8. Cock

Cock
    Expand Collapse
    Doctor

Rapist
    Home Page:
    It's not so much "against" them as the fact that they just fear change and want nothing to do with it. They await end-times. They are obsessed with it - as are most mainstream religions.

9. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse

Judging you
    Home Page:
    IMO we should be bringing the fucking end times to them early. I doubt very much if anyone in the western world would mind a lolocaust on the muslim scum.

10. Cock

Cock
    Expand Collapse
    Doctor

Rapist
    Home Page:
    Well that would make you even more evil then them, wouldn't it? If you are actually capable of doing such a thing then were do you draw the line? You're already lightyears over any reasonable one by then.

11. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse

Judging you
    Home Page:
    look at you getting all high and moral on me. evil is a subjective viewpoint based on your own morality, in my view that's not evil at all. besides is ridding the world of a violent, dangerous and backwards ideology like that actually a bad thing? how long before one of those fuckers drops a dirty bomb in a major centro of population? a chemical weapon? nerve gas? a full fledged nuke? prevention is better than the cure.

12. Cock

Cock
    Expand Collapse
    Doctor

Rapist
    Home Page:
    Then you simply have a distorted perception of "evil" relative to the vast majority of mankind.

Who is going to be the one to choose who lives and who dies? Who can possibly make that choose for such a huge population? Every single person on the planet is biased in some way and is going to choose to kill the one they personally don't like regardless of whether they actually deserve it or not.

13. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse

Judging you
    Home Page:
    so why do you think I'm suggesting we should get them before they kill us instead?

what's your solution for dealing with nutcase mudslimes that can't be reasoned with?

14. Cock

Cock
    Expand Collapse
    Doctor

Rapist
    Home Page:
    Because they cant. The death toll from terrorism is negligible. Its a fucking joke and so are they. They fucking suck and we are giving them way too much credit.
    http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/04/statistics-you-are-not-going-to-be-killed-by-terrorists.html

Spreading education and science to slowly crumble their fundamental beliefs from the inside bit by bit. Once the vast majority have lost faith in this crap and only some isolated terrorist groups remain (which they basically kind of already are) then fine. Do a final cleaning.

Perhaps I misunderstood you thinking that you were proposing killing hundreds of millions of Muslims for being... Muslim.

15. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse

Judging you
    Home Page:
    the death toll is negligeable for now but what about when they start using WMD's? say one of them sets off a siutcase nuke in the centre of new york for example, just how many people is that going to kill or maim?

there's been education and science around for as long as they have, and you still get nutters of all faiths going around committing acts of terror int he name of their god, even after all this time so why would it make any difference later on?

it only takes one of them. one. and thats it, you could have a whole city erased with nuclear fire and irradiated for centuries. isn't it, in the long run, the lesser of two evils?

16. Cock

Cock
    Expand Collapse
    Doctor

Rapist
    Home Page:

So tell me then. Why hasn't this happened yet? We've had nukes for a while now, but still no incident. They are retarded sandniggers. First world tech will continue to develop and will always be a trillion steps ahead of any sandnigger.

If you haven't noticed this has declined significantly. The more you look into the past the more you see how religion had played a much larger roll. It's dying off.

Nukes radiate significant amounts of radiation. You just cant conceal such a thing. The US even have satellitesin orbit, which can detect portable nukes. Again 1st world tech is far ahead of some sandnigger.

17. Cock

Cock
    Expand Collapse
    Doctor

Rapist
    Home Page:
    Oh and if you want to level a city the thing will cost a ridiculous amount of money, have a massive weight and scream out loud "HAI GOUSE IM A NUKE" in radionese.

18. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse

Judging you
    Home Page:
    ok you got me there, i would hazard a guess that it would require some kond of state sponsorship there and even regimes like iran probably don't want people like that with fissile material. but I do concede the point there.
    yet it's still present, and while it is you're still at risk. there's no getting away from that and as I said, you only need one dedicated psycho to turn things on their head.

what about biological agents then? chemical weapons? even if you eliminate the nuclear prospect there are still a myriad of weapons available to them.

in the end even if you do decide to be merciful and only go after the extremists you can never be sure but then, i suppose you can never be sur eof anything there. only try do what is best. But I see your point and I do think you raise a very good counterargument.

just out of interest if I'd blamed say, the jews again would we have still had this same debate? given israel has nukes of it's own aand probably isn't afraid to use them?

19. Cock

Cock
    Expand Collapse
    Doctor

Rapist
    Home Page:
    The very second they launch a nuke missile it will be detected by satellites and intercepted. Next thing Israel has the entire planet fucking it up the ass thanks to the UN's ban on nuclear warheads. Even if they do hit something... what then? They kill some people and then get fucked like no other country before anyway. Why would they do such a foolish thing?

20. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse

Judging you
    Home Page:
    Taking that as a yes then. never thought I's have an ediot turn down finishing off the jews. but that's by the by. If any nation is going to set off ww3 it'll be israel going batshit and nuking iran or something, next thing you know the arab world is ready for round 2 with israel, america will no doubt be getting it's hands dirty, the russians will probably join in then its hey ho and off we go, into ww3-i-oh.

21. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Are you saying the best way to win Civ is to lose a world war?

• Autism Autism x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  22. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

Not picking a fight with Stalin helps

23. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Aye but that wouldn't be doing it Nazi style.

• Autism Autism x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  24. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

25. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse

Judging you