my shitty ass project about shitty ass virtual communities

Discussion in 'Your Shitty Projects' started by CallingAllOtaku, Feb 25, 2013.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
  1. CallingAllOtaku

CallingAllOtaku
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

Hello Again EDF2...

Dáithí here again, for those of you who didn notice my intro, im researching virtual communities for a college presentation. keeping in the traditions of cultural studies, im focusing on the most spectacular aspects of the culture. Which in my opinion are Gamers and Anonymous.

I'm not here to talk about gaming, im here to find out about Anonymous, and get some views on essentially the possibilities of the internets.

while i cannot use images such as a shitty ass, nor the acclaimed ''hello.jpg'' image, whose widespread use on ED has kept me horrifically entertained these last few days. I Will use ''internetman.jpg" as the cover slide as my presentation.

This connotation of the overweight star trek lovin' basement dweller as the typical internet activist is why i'm here. this late-capitalist-by-product.

while i accept that this is an exaggerated image of said user, i believe the stereotyped ideologies/believes/attitudes/attributes within this social assumption of one, to be true. that is at least we are all indoctrinated in similar western believes based on our consumption of western media of the late 20th century.

i know this is a pretty vague statement, but it is our consumption of media or use of cultural artefacts that join us and part us. from which, with the advent of the internets brought us the chan series, /b/, and from this the power of the internet grew to a physical manifestation from Anonymous with project chan.

This almost great war, was it inadvertently set out by gene rodenberry and ron hubbard (the thought crossed my head just there as i was watching TNG, and i have to admit i got some good lulz out of it!)

that aside. my main interest are the anonymi participants... are they localised to western cultural hubs? Is there much interaction outside 'the west'. My main places of interest are Mexico, Brazil, Russia, South Africa, India and China. Is there much interaction from these massive regions?

im an idealist and like to believe that the participants in this community are of a variety of backgrounds, yet still being under the capitalist banner. That it is this diverse anonymous mass is the guardian of free speech. And its not just thirteen fat dudes in computer chairs shittin' out the trap hole in the back of the office chair.

insults.... rotten tomatoes.... all welcome. no cacti please

Dáithí

2. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

If writing about "anonymous culture" it's important to distinguish between old and new anon.

old anon - pranksters and raiders
    new anon - moralfags and emo kids
    all anon- aspies

I'll assume you have no working knowledge of this ultimately irrelevant niche, so here's something to read.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/120742069/When-crime-has-no-face-How-Anonymous-creates-hate

Also you should try and absorb as much of the Anon Portal on our wiki as possible.

As for this community (EDF), we're an offshoot. Most of what you'll read about in there doesn't concern us at all. We exist through affiliation, but each of us are here with a unique set of interests.

3. CallingAllOtaku

CallingAllOtaku
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

4. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    God.

No one cares.

Go away.

5. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

whoever tagged this with "oddguy project" has the right idea.

ditch everything and do your college presentation on oddguy. there's over 12,000 posts and countless lines of chat logs we can dissect.

oddguy lay down and take a deep breath you're gonna feel a slight pinch

syringe.

6. Milwin

Milwin
    Expand Collapse
    2013 Faggot of the Year

The Toast Cult
    Home Page:
    I'm 100% sure that the syringe contains AIDS.

7. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    He's not writing a report on the effect of the internet on chronic depression.

8. ilovejesus69

ilovejesus69
    Expand Collapse
    Crisis Actor

Rap is for criminals.

9. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    Doesn't matter.

You can't catch it twice.

10. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    I got evicted from my basement, and now surf the web in the alley behind McDonalds via their free WiFi.

No. Fortunately.
    @Bottom Feeder
    @Lord Raptor
    @Khanzer :(
    @Chorvaqueen
    @some other nip users i've forgotten
    @umkemesik (Southside counts as Mexico)

11. umkemesik

umkemesik
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Internet Stalker
    Home Page:
    Come to Chicago - its a virtual carnicopia of all Faggots from all walks of life. It's like New York - except cleaner.

We attract all faggots from the Globe. Polish, Russian, Mexican, Niggers, real Niggers from Africa, Jews, you name it we got it!

And yes, anon is here, both Old and New.

In fact, Anon loves to ride in Vans provided by the FBI where their asses are dropped off at the Dirksen Federal Court House:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/03/stakeout-how-the-fbi-tracked-and-busted-a-chicago-anon/

Good News! Since being raided Anon Chicago is looking to beef up their current membership of two people:

Send applications here:

https://tips.fbi.gov/

Have a good day!

12. Chorvaqueen

Chorvaqueen
    Expand Collapse
    gay singing robot

singing robot fucker
    Home Page:
  13. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
    AnonyVN sucks, it's full of newfaggotry and tryhards

what they did was ddos some colleges and schools that blocked Fapbook for 'freedom', some online store selling computer shit and dox'd a minister

ah, I remember something. They leaked some shit about vietnam's nuclear power development (but nobody gave a shit, not even the US)

14. Chorvaqueen

Chorvaqueen
    Expand Collapse
    gay singing robot

singing robot fucker
    Home Page:
    AnonPH is a bunch of attention-whoring script kiddie faggots.
    who the fuck leaves retarded jejemon handles on pages they've "hacked"

15. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
    oh god it's even worse than ours! fucking 16-year-olds

16. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    I've never been able to spell that fucking user name.

I'm just glad I got yours and Umke's right.

17. Fraud Based Economy

Fraud Based Economy
    Expand Collapse
    Disinherited Nigerian Prince

You are provably wrong. Social Justice Tumblr Faggots, Furries (especially Bronies), Otherkin, and pretty much every other internet community based off a deviant subset across the breadth and depth of the human condition make many (though not all) people here seem positively sane by comparison.

Characterizing Anonymous is by definition impossible. It is a nameless, faceless, leaderless organization that anyone can join simply by saying that they're a member. If you can picture a bunch of random strangers riding on a train, then you basically have as close a description of Anonymous as you're likely to get. Groups form quickly when some interesting internet shit is up, and then dissolve just as quickly.

If you want to write something about online virtual communities then you might as well write the following.