Monsantos Protection Act

Discussion in 'Religion & Politics' started by Boudica, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Boudica

Boudica
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Putin's #1 fangirl
    This pisses me (and so many others) off for a lot of reasons.
    It destroyed my faith in Fox News,who I had previously looked to for complete coverage of things the mainstream media wouldn't. Did they say ANYTHING about it ? Nope.
    Not to mention Obama and pretty much the entire US Congress voted for it without giving a shit how horrible it will be. Few even know about it. There's way too much info to quote so I'll just post some links.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer_Assurance_Provision
    http://www.ibtimes.com/monsanto-pro...w-did-your-congressperson-vote-hr-933-1158789
    http://www.ibtimes.com/monsanto-pro...ng-things-know-about-hr-933-provision-1156079
    It's not really even a republican vs. democrat issue this time, pretty much everyone I've talked to hates it. Good to know the only time American lawmakers can get along is when they're screwing everyone over !
    Also, apparently Monsanto handles all corn products sold in the US.

2. lulzbomb

lulzbomb
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

3. Likeicare

Likeicare
    Expand Collapse
    EDF is my hugbox

Home Page:
    Well isn't that just awful

4. Boudica

Boudica
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Putin's #1 fangirl
    Yeah, there isn't much potential for luz(yet) but it kinda sucks that no one knows about it

5. Boudica

Boudica
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Putin's #1 fangirl
    @lulzbomb haha what are you saying ?!

6. lulzbomb

lulzbomb
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

That sucks.

7. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I'm an evil Scotsman and my name is Jock
    So apparently the bill keeps the federal government from banning people from growing and selling shit on their own property with voluntary interactions. I don't see a problem with any of this.

I don't buy the "organic non-mod" food bullshit. There's literally no science to give the people peddling it any credibility. Worse yet, they claim that the positive science proving the opposite just "isn't enough" to justify policies allowing a free market of food and that we need to waste more millions of dollars testing and observing to prove it's still safe and that organic foodies will ignore anyways because the FDA doesn't have excruciatingly strict standards (derp).

At the end of the day I see the organic food racket as the cousins of the environmental lobby. Neither can survive without massive public fear campaigns and trying to legislate their competition out of existence. The definitions for "genetically modified" food is so fucking vague and arbitrary that it makes almost anything modded. Did you cross-pollinate? HERP DERP GENERTICLY MERDEREFERD!!! GONNA KILL YA! Did you selectively breed? HERP DERP GENERTICLY MERDERFERD!!! GONNA KILL YA! Did you use pesticides that are FDA approved and tested? HERP DERP GENERTICLY MERDERFERD!!! GONNA KILL YA!

It's just another group of people who want us to go back into the technological stone age and, surprise surprise, they happen to have the most sticks and stones. Alarmists always have an agenda, and it typically has nothing to do with saving everybody else from a gruesome fate. The only thing that makes me nervous at all is that a democrat-led senate, a progressive president and a conflicted house all managed to agree on a bill that basically ensures free trade.

8. TheLastCaucasian

TheLastCaucasian
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Shut up and eat your GMO food you fucking goys

9. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Well, is not just that, but I see your point

Btw...I guess then you are pro-legalization of drugs, aren't you?

10. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    So far there is NO evidence that GMOs alone are bad. What is not up for debate is the following: Roundup at 98% dilution destroys DNA; the fertilizers necessary for GMOs are bad to be consumed; GMO soy plants produce on average 10% less than non-GMO organic soy. The argument that GMO crops feed more people than non-GMO organic crops or the process to grow GMOs are anything less than utterly toxic for humans and the planet has been proven time and time again. Monsanto is on its way out. Which is good for me as a non-GMO organic farmer. You can either buy my expensive produce or pay for inexpensive poison.

However, ignorant people are the reason our planet fucking sucks and is dying, which is why I support Monsanto's contribution to the worldwide eugenics project. If you are ignorant in the information age and your ignorance has negative consequences for the planet and species, do you have a right to life? Rhetorical question, the answer is no. Eat your poison goy!

11. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    One of the big reasons why the Nazis nationalized the food industry was because the food companies are huge fuckers.

12. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I'm not the biggest fan of that concept. I was merely pointing out that for libertarians to be railing against what is basically a federal promise to let people make their own choices freely is a bit hypocritical.

I'm for softening a lot of our drug policies at the very least and creating a distinction between, say, heroin and cannabis.

13. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Part Time Substitute Teacher Full time Teal Deer

I hope the US likes a fucking sharecropper economy, on the road to serfdom.

14. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
  15. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    This is how we will feed the world. Traditional farming is on its way out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics

16. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    If Monsanto's products were safe to eat, why don't they serve Monsanto's products in Monsanto's cafeterias?

17. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    Anyone who trusts Monsanto is either a retard who deserves his/her poison food or is lying.

18. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Because it doesn't promote free trade, it is a passive bill that removes barriers and obstacles that are holding back a monster bureaucracy through which the US is preparing to own an artificially created rent on global agriculture, and get the increase in private sector $$$ and all the tax revenue that comes with it. First to get big enough it requires them to perfect the method here, parasitic bastards.

19. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

There needs to be a global independent farmer's fund that cuts out the needless rent seeking corporate middle-man financiers that needlessly leach capital from the revenue of productive industry as it flows into the hands of the men and women who actually carry out the R&D, the scientists. In essence if you do not have economic equilibrium in the sphere of rewarding productive behaviors, both in terms of underpaying and overpaying, you will end up with a deleterious effect on balance of power within society which inevitably leads to unjust inequity and the creation of tyrants.

20. TheBrickBalls

TheBrickBalls
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Gay Nigger
    Home Page:
    I hunt chickens and cattle on my neighbor's ranch and forage for fruits and berries in the orchard nearby - all without their foreknowledge. I'm self-sufficient. Monsanto has little effect on me.

21. iwish6million

iwish6million
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Holocaust Reenactor
    Home Page:
    We're all going to die.

22. Weezus Christ

Weezus Christ
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Savior

breakfast mummy
    Home Page:
  23. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

LOL

24. Boudica

Boudica
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Putin's #1 fangirl
    No, there was a time when Fox actually did a decent job at covering the news. CNN is pretty much a headline service now anyways

25. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

That's only when the truth of the story happens to lean more towards the Republican premade versions of events. The goal of news now is to make and sell a product and the easiest way is to cater to people's preconceived notions of relative with custom tailored facts. That people think they are informed watching any of the mainstream news networks is some serious self-indulgence.

26. Boudica

Boudica
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Putin's #1 fangirl

I'm aware you can't much from the news, like I said, the fact that the Monsanto Protection Act wasn't discussed on any big networks is a little scary. Besides that, it's not a secret Fox leans the right. Yes it's biased,but so are MSNBC,NBC,CBS, ABC and the rabid anti-american RT. I guess just watch more than one station for news

27. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I know you said Fox News occasionally gets thinks right and I was agreeing with you but positing why I think they don't get it right all the time. I'm not sure where to find good news etc. Casting a wider net certainly helps.

28. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Well between Stossel, Napolitano and Greg Gutfeld, Fox wins for commentators. I did a paper in my Jr. Year for MassCom in which I found and defended the idea that Fox is the least biased of the cable news networks based on a Harvard study and several other sources. Fox isn't terrible and my internet namesake, Slavoj Zizek and Julian Assange defended them as the only news outlet to show the violent footage from the Arab Spring.

I haven't watched TV for a while for anything. I used to watch the history channel or military channel for laughs while I worked out in the morning, but I recently stopped that. It's not because I'm some sort of douchebag elitist. I just don't think TV has anything worthwhile, and the internet filters out the stuff not worth hearing.

The thing to remember at the end of the day is that network news runs off viewers. They owe everything to commercials. Their strings are tied to marionettes held by investors and advertisers. The biggest and strongest companies just buy everybody, Fox included.

29. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Screen Shot 2013-06-02 at 11.21.10 PM (2). Also, this is discussion 666 on the Religion/Politics subboard. I think that's noteworthy. #conspiracy

30. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    So you actually became a lvl23 Nigger. Respect.

• Autism Autism x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List