Miyamoto says he doesn't make art. No arguments here.

Discussion in 'Video Games & Weeaboo Shit' started by AmbrJones Wickenshire, Dec 17, 2016.

1. pumkinhead

pumkinhead
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Actually, there was a movement in art (maybe it was called modernism/realism, I currently can't remember) that prided itself on simulating life as much as possible... GTA manages to simulate the life of a criminal better than Honore de Balzac...

• Like Like x 1
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    The fact that there's a debate whether videogames are art is proof that they're art. It's like the debate whether Gone Home is a videogame. Just because something is a shit videogame, doesn't mean it's not a videogame. Just because something is shit art, doesn't mean it's not art. Which isn't to say I think videogames are shit art, in fact I think they're miles ahead any and all other mediums in practically every regard.

I remember that Yahtzee made a video basically outlining that what makes art art is its lack of utility. I agree wholly with that concept. I can't find that video so here's the article in which he reminds me that most complaining about videogames not being art are unqualified to do so.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...umns/extra-punctuation/7473-Videogames-as-Art

• Like Like x 1
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Chrono

Chrono
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon

Attention Whore
    The developers who say games are art aren't right nor wrong. Yeah, with the evolving technology for game graphics and music you could make a game that's like an interactive film (I'm looking at you Telltale Games)--which films are considered to be art as well. But on the other hand to the earlier days of video games, I don't think that many people would've considered a game with sprites and beep & boop music art--Now, too many indie games seem to make that shit look artistic.

But really though, it wouldn't be a game anymore if there's no goal or to the very least--there's nothing so interactive about it. A lot of people like to pretend that videogames are just like movies, but I also feel like those same people don't really look back at what made games... games.

ANYWAYS, Art is a really loose term. By the definition...
    You could pretty much call anything a work of art, like this post for example.

4. A Fucking Box

A Fucking Box
    Expand Collapse
    Removed

Wizard-Emperor of Wiztantinople
    Home Page:
    Everything can be qualified as an art form. The actual argument is whether gaymes is """high art""" which is a fucking meme anyway, doesn't actually mean anything

5. Fatal_Exception_0E

Fatal_Exception_0E
    Expand Collapse
    Hyper Light Drifter

cyber-police
    When prolific game developers outright say games are not art, I tend to think their opinions have more depth than the consumers of their products. An illegal immigrant painting the side of a house can also be considered an 'art form' by modern definition. There is some degree of artistic skill in his job, but he would probably drop his bottle of tequila to laugh in your face if you called him an "artist".

6. Schnookums

Schnookums
    Expand Collapse
    weasel

often these same people are more concerned with profits then anything else

• Like Like x 1
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • List
  7. AmbrJones Wickenshire

AmbrJones Wickenshire
    Expand Collapse
    Token Black Woman

Welfare Leach
    Would you trust George Lucas's opinions on starwars after the prequels?

8. Fatal_Exception_0E

Fatal_Exception_0E
    Expand Collapse
    Hyper Light Drifter

cyber-police
    No.

And I don't think George Lucas would trust his own opinion on star wars after the prequels either.

9. AmbrJones Wickenshire

AmbrJones Wickenshire
    Expand Collapse
    Token Black Woman

Welfare Leach
    Well he gave it on rogue 1 and episode 7. And considering how Nintendo is shit today, why would you think Miyamoto's opinion has any weight?

10. moogshroom

moogshroom
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Game is just a set of rules, without rules it's not a game.
    Various types of art can be fit under the umbrella of a video game.
    But a video game can't be purely art, because it ceases to be a game.

Fez is not a game and Phil Fish is not a human.

• Like Like x 1
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Fatal_Exception_0E

Fatal_Exception_0E
    Expand Collapse
    Hyper Light Drifter

cyber-police
    Miyamoto is probably the most important video game innovator in history. Every game developer borrows, utilizes or outright steals an idea he has come up with. Not all of his ideas has been successful, but it's not his fault that Nintendo is shit. Blame the corporate side of Nintendo for that.

Someone gets it, finally.

Thank God.

12. AmbrJones Wickenshire

AmbrJones Wickenshire
    Expand Collapse
    Token Black Woman

Welfare Leach

13. pumkinhead

pumkinhead
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

actually art has rules too

14. feminist jazz hands

feminist jazz hands
    Expand Collapse
    Moral Highlander

Uromancer
    A desire not to be associated with a fat retard.. that's not the strongest argument, but i, too know of few disgusting individuals whose mere presence could discourage me from participating in many activities.. :D
    I thought he was thinking mainly about his own creations, and Kojima is whole another chapter.. :D But you're making few interesting points. There are many views to make an assessment about classification of art..
    The Academic point is the most valued due to vast knowledge of historic forms and approaches.. but it can get irrelevant by either it's own seclusive vacuum, or the conservative dogma, or perhaps the snobbish self-centrism, so common with some kids these days..
    The monetary view on art, practiced by dealers, collectors and some curators, is well described by @Fraud Based Economy in his post. The book by Donald Trump named 'the art of a deal', that really sets a different light on the whole thing. :D We're calling any example of good craftsmanship, done in a masterwork fashion, work of art, but it's entirely up to the creator as he/she wants to grasp whatever she or he's working with, as it is in this case.
    Then there is individual perception of each of us, as we're all judging and focusing on different things and aspects, that are closer to our favored senses.
    Then there is folk art.. :oops:

Then, there are the criteria, that the want to work with.. originality(for some people it's overrated aspect, as most forms must be perfected, but at least a little bit of it is usually expected), the emotions it may awake in you(philosophically, it's possibly the most important thing, as they say, true art should elevate the spirit, but it's extremely highly subjective), the impact of the thing, which, along with the 'hip' factor, can be only proved over time... Then there many more form-specific criteria i'd prefer not to dive in..
    It's surprisingly fun, to discuss aesthetics, but it's years and years of studying, years that may really contort your touch with reality..
    I think there are few exceptions even to that.. for example, Neverhood. :awesome: If you've never played it, i highly recommend trying it.

• Tl;dr Tl;dr x 1
    • List
  15. Warpdust Addict

Warpdust Addict
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Chaos Lord of the Lunar Exterminators
    Home Page:
    If I wanted a good story in games, please for the love of existence don't try to make it pretentious or edgy. Too many indie pixel art games are being mass produced at an unholy rate. The problem with games is that it is an interactive experience. Interactive as in you interact with the environment such as puzzle-solving, combat, mystery, logic based puzzles, and such and such.

I don't want to spend my own money on an exorbitant video game that is nothing, but artsy crap.

• Shots Fired Shots Fired x 2
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • List
  16. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]