MIME type being a bitch

Discussion in 'Complaint Department' started by FacePalmVeteran, Dec 28, 2011.

1. FacePalmVeteran

FacePalmVeteran
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I can't upload a single thing due to MIME type errors.
    There are two solutions that I know of:
    Pay thirty bucks for a program (but I'm a jew so)
    Or manually detect and all of that shit. (I don't even know if that even helps)

If there's a way to get around this without using money, that would be fantastic as I have an article in desperate need of images.
    I set up the old PC I have and used to make a couple of other articles successfully but now this PC is having the same problem.

From what I understand, the issue lays within the computer, not the wiki. Something about the MIME type being something that allows computers to share image files with other computers or servers.

So if anybody knows of a way to upload to ED despite having a MIME type issue, please share.
    There should be a way to detect and upload the file to ED manually, right??

2. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    Make sure the file type has the correct extension. If it is a jpg try changing it to png and vice-versa. For some reason the forum changes all file extensions to jpg, so if I want to upload something from the forum to the wiki I need to change the extension or else I get a MIME error.

You can also try opening the image in Photoshop or MS Paint then clicking "file" > "save as" and pick something accordingly (png, jpg, gif etc) then try again.

Under no circumstance should you have to buy software to be used with ED.

3. FacePalmVeteran

FacePalmVeteran
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Weird. Saving under a different file extension is one of the first things I tried. I'm trying to upload from my computer.
    I've never attempted to bring a file from the forum to the wiki but the files I need aren't on the forum anyhow. (I just wasn't aware that could be done)
    I guess I'll try changing all of the extensions to .jpg and see if my luck suddenly changes.
    Thanks for reminding me/ informing me of the forum to wiki uploading.

4. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    I was just giving an example of an instance where I have gotten that error. @Edgeworth do you have any insight you could give?

5. Edgeworth

Edgeworth
    Expand Collapse
    Systems Administrator

Web Developer/Systems Administrator
    Does this happen with a single image, or with all images you use? Can you upload to other sites?

http://imgur.com/?

Can you upload the raw image to a file sharing service like mediafire and post it here so I can inspect?

6. Killerratte

Killerratte
    Expand Collapse
    Dangerously unfunny

Self-loathing hobby "artist"
    Home Page:
    I can't upload anything. Not .png, not .jpg ...