LOL TomPreston did it again!

Discussion in 'DeviantART' started by a.t., Jul 22, 2011.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums

Encyclopedia Dramatica is being sued by a very wealthy serial litigator. This is not just another "gimme shekels for server" - the future of ED is at stake. We are asking for donations to fund our legal battle, all money raised goes entirely towards attorney fees. Please help with whatever you can, every donation is deeply appreciated.

Donate to the Encyclopedia Dramatica Legal FundJoin the Discussion Thread

1. Chrono

Chrono
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon

Attention Whore
    Cuphead is challenging to play? Yeah. But impossible to play? Nah. There's worse.

Makes you wonder if has he ever beaten any those of old NES and SNES era games he loved so much, since this game takes a lot of gameplay inspiration from those games.
    I probably wouldn't be surprised though, if didn't even beat any or only a few.

2. BlandWagon

BlandWagon
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Fourth Street Corner Liquorstore Gloryhole
    Memorization and trial-by-error is a very strict, difficult playstyle that encourages pattern recognition and relies upon reflex and instinct via that trial section. While not for everyone, there's nothing that makes that a bad game design.

So:
    -don't buy the game if you don't have time, patience, or desire to play this kind of game
    How are they being excluded, exactly? They bought a product advertised as a difficult game. Did they expect a difficult game would yet somehow be short? They would feel ripped off if it wasn't a good experience. That's like saying vegetarians are excluded because of the hamburger's content, that has no fucking fault on the hamburger and entirely on the consumer. The customer is always right because they can always buy somewhere else, nobody put a gun to their head and told them to play Cuphead.

It's artificial difficulty sure, but with a perfect rationale: every animation was hand-drawn and hand-painted on cels. They only have so many patterns they can have because of this, without driving cost up immensely. It's not lazy here, it's frugal. Cuphead has already taken this long to come out for plenty of reasons, adding more animations which would require more conversion into assets would take money and time. It's also a game you own once you buy it so that "artificial" difficulty makes no real argument when each level is less than 3 minutes to finish AND constructed so the run-n-gun and boss fights are separate stages entirely. They've segregated the most of what would kill the growth rate in trial and error games by making each stage a single event.

It isn't controversial to be wrong, but it is to be passive-aggressive and insistently right about your misconceptions. For a guy who's so passionate about video games he doesn't seem very informed about these things.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Shlomo Bernitz

Shlomo Bernitz
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    At long last there is a game that is well-liked by both Tumblrites and 4channers... and yet Dobson snarls at it for being too exclusive in its game style.
    The ultimate contrarian.

• I Agree I Agree x 4
    • lol fgt u suk bals ololoololollololoolollollol lol fgt u suk bals ololoololollololoolollollol x 1
    • List
  4. jerk

jerk
    Expand Collapse
    has no title

Of course he would complain about game aspects which require anything from his body, other than smashing buttons.

And old school difficulty isn't necessarily artificial difficulty, some old school games just are hard (and subtle or just effectively used artificial difficulty isn't always a bad thing in any way).
    From what I've seen so far, Cuphead balances its "artificial difficulty" (bullet hell, memorization?) with how short the levels are. As to not become tedious, unless you don't learn from your failures.

• I Agree I Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. slimelurker

slimelurker
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

I actually think that it's good that Cuphead only really requires memorization in order to beat it.
    It's challenging, but even if you're terrible at games, if you play the same level enough times, even you can still beat it.
    I consider that to be pretty inclusive. Not to mention, there's no rule that you have to beat the game as quickly as possible. You can just do one or two levels per day, and it's fine. No one cares if you take your time.

• Like Like x 1
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Gaegogi

Gaegogi
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Reformation Camp #24 Guard #52
    "Cheap unfair deaths"
    "Memorization is bad game design"
    "Artificial difficulty"

Nice hot opinions you got there, DSP.

I really like the artificial difficulty one. Artificial difficulty is increasing the HP/Damage of enemies so it feels like it's challenging. You wouldn't call Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden as having artificial difficulty.

Funnily enough, all of Skyrim's enemies are copy+paste but with increased health and damage and a different suffix, but you don't see Dobbo complaining about the actual artificial difficulty in that.

7. Chrono

Chrono
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon

Attention Whore
    Seems that Dobson can't seem to take any sort of challenge all the way. In both gaming and/or art.

I wouldn't exactly say stronger copy/paste variants of enemies is really that artificial, since that happens all the time in RPGs and several action games. What would be more artifical would be like instant deaths from even the smallest little hazards, the lack of lives and/or health, etc.

For instance, those many, many indie games that involve a crapton of instant death spikes is more of that... I'm talking games like I Wanna Be The Guy, VVVVV, 1001 Spikes, etc. Instant death spikes are really fucking cheap, and it's not reminiscent of the X-bit era terms of difficulty--which I think they were trying to emulate, but those old games were challenging for other reasons.

The Mega Man games for instance didn't put death spikes in every single level. SMB1, CV1-3, Adventure Island, and many others had really stiff-ish controls. The original Zelda and Metroid games was really cryptic to play through without guides. Bomberman was all completely luck with timing. Even with these issues, these games were challenging and really satisfying to beat.

#51127 Chrono, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  8. Ricki

Ricki
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Actually it's its own genre called Rage games.

9. jerk

jerk
    Expand Collapse
    has no title

Except DSP managed to beat Cuphead.

dobby is worse that DSP.

• Shots Fired Shots Fired x 3
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Chrono

Chrono
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon

Attention Whore
    Yeah would make sense. These games are awful though.

• List
  11. AmbrJones Wickenshire

AmbrJones Wickenshire
    Expand Collapse
    Token Black Woman

Welfare Leach
    I kinda sympathize with dobo a little bit on this one. First time I played Dark Souls I tried to ask for help and advice and all I got were insults and "git gud".

• Trigger Warning Trigger Warning x 1
    • List
  12. Chrono

Chrono
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon

Attention Whore
    Game Guides do exist, you know.

13. AmbrJones Wickenshire

AmbrJones Wickenshire
    Expand Collapse
    Token Black Woman

Welfare Leach
    I learn better by interacting with real people.

14. Hitmonlee

Hitmonlee
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Human Text-To-Speech Device
    Home Page:
    story of your life? :D

15. Ricki

Ricki
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Sounds like you need to git gud.

• Shots Fired Shots Fired x 4
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • List
  16. jerk

jerk
    Expand Collapse
    has no title

Usually you get the worst tips from people who play the worst. That's why it's better to read some strategy guides or watch videos of people doing what you're trying to do, with those you'll also have proof of their skill level. Also helps you to specify what's your problem and when your question is built better you might get better answers.
    But Cuphead is really one of those games where it all comes down to "git gud", the bosses are relatively simple at their core (which isn't a bad thing and doesn't make them less challenging) so tips in general would be "be observant" "get your timing right", etc.
    With Dark Souls those tips apply and a lot of Dark souls is about learning from your mistakes, but you might need tips with building your character stats, enemy weaknesses, how to deal with less obvious attacks and how not to become capra demon's bitch for the fifth time.

Because of his Cuphead "Cupman" whinings, some anti-SJW/GG/games related tumblrs have briefly talked about dobson, and I found this;
    "He’s afraid of Carnivale masks, and dumping pics of them is enough to keep him out of /co/ threads about him"
    Is this true?

• List
  17. Ricki

Ricki
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

To go along with Jerk said, one tip I would give is that if you're tired of dying so many times while trying to learn an enemy's attacks, then watch a video of someone fighting them. It really helps when you're trying to pay attention to warning signs of their attacks. I did this a bit with Salt and Sanctuary because getting back to the boss over and over again was more obnoxious than fighting them.

Back to Dob. Recently he tweeted this:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he constantly blew a fuse whenever someone tried to tell him how his characters should be established or interpreting them wrong?

• I Agree I Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • oy vey oy vey x 1
    • List
  18. Chrono

Chrono
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon

Attention Whore
    You are part of the Dobson thread. Shame on you for not knowing.

• Shots Fired Shots Fired x 1
    • List
  19. jerk

jerk
    Expand Collapse
    has no title

upload_2017-10-10_15-1-28.
    dobby + civilized discussion, hmm.

If there is even going to be a ComicGate, it's effects have started a long time ago. Marvel's pandering to SJ types has made it comic sales worse and they've received mainly negative critique from people who matter (aka actual readers), comic writers conspiring against critics have been exposed, and so.
    ComicGate would boil down to indie/smaller publishers and readers vs Marvel, a few SJ comics and people who don't actually read comics (if DC was to get involved they'd more likely use the commotion to mock Marvel or something). And Marvel has been losing footing for a long time already, while indie has been growing and things like general accessibility of internet, growdfunding and Patreon are only going to ensure indie will grow even more.

Forgive me, I've never seen the mask thing taken advantage of :negative:

20. Ricki

Ricki
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Keep your SJW bullshit out of Rick and Morty; there's enough there as is. Also way to get Rick out of character for your political statement. Despite being a complete ass Rick still follows logic, science, and reason like law. Appealing to feels is not something he does regularly unless it serves his ulterior motives.

• I Agree I Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
: THIS IS NOW A WATERSHIP-FREE ZONE, what part of watership-free didn't you understand, don't even fucking post here, now that we all know you jerk it to pony rape, you can't be taken seriously, literally worse than tompreston, I'll meet you down by the DOXX, hope you like pizzas, and unexpected visitors, oohh tag whiteknighting, how lame, who gives a shit, mortalsword jerks off to watershipdowns' furry art, bunu wants to eat hayakain's ass, and watershipdowns wants to watch, mortalsword wants to tongue bunu's ass, after she's just had diarrhea, whiteomega will lick up the residue off the floor, I am 12 and what is this, who wrote down my dreams, oddguy is my waifu, I'd like to hear from forrealdeal on this, lol nobody gives a fuck what he thinks, nah, wrong again bucko, why do we hate bunu, because you touch yourself at night to her posts, on the other hand, you're a faggot, no seriously, you're wrong and also a huge faggot, end of story, mortalsword is being a faggot, mortalsword jerks off to pony bondage, mortalsword knows a lot about being a faggot, mortalswordyndrome jerks off to figurines, mortalsword and linkermann sitting in a tree, mortalsword and linkermann sitting on a three, mortalsword bled profusely, mortalsword cries like a little bitch, mortalsword deletes tags out of butthurt, mortalsword drinks beer out of koala anuses, mortalsword drinks gasoline out of beercans, mortalsword fears scumhook, mortalsword fingers hamsters, mortalsword fucks goats, mortalsword gets bullied, mortalsword gives rimjobs for beer, mortalsword has a vagina, mortalsword is a basement dwelling cum guzzler, mortalsword is a brony, mortalsword is a butthurt bogan, mortalsword is a closet furfag, mortalsword is a dingo, mortalsword is an attention whore, mortalsword is a faggot, mortalsword is a filthy lying kike, mortalsword is a furnigger, mortalsword is a massive faggot, mortalsword is a narutard, mortalsword is a penis licker, mortalsword is a queer, mortalsword is a shitty gimmick, mortalsword isn't even straight, mortalsword jerks off to ponies, mortalsword likes goats, mortalsword masturbates to the aristocats, mortalsword needs his pacifier, mortalsword needs to leave this fucking forum, mortalsword needs to wash his fucking face, mortalsword stop tagging yourself cunt, mortalsword sucks black cocks, mortalsword sucks dick for coke, mortalsword sucks dick for dick, mortalsword talks to himself, mortalsword tries too hard, mortalsword wants the d, mortalsword adds his own tags everywhere he goes, mortalsword always won the 'special award', mortalsword calls the cops out of butthurt, mortalsword can't handle the heat, mortalsword confirmed for butthurt, mortalsword doesn't understand tags, mortalsword fails at being an internet toughguy, mortalsword failtrolling, mortalsword gets butthurt over tags, mortalsword has no friends :(, mortalsword has no life, mortalsword is a literal manchild, mortalsword licks granny assholes, mortalsword lost the argument, mortalsword <3 schnookums, mortalsword = nambla, mortalsword confirmed for butt ravaged, mortalsword fails at hiding butthurt, mortalsword has no penis, mortalsword is a butthurt asspie, mortalsword jerks off to oddguy, mortalsword likes to jack off to bestiality, mortalsword should kill himself, mortalsword was molested by his uncle, mortalsword y u so mad?, oh hey are we doing tag spam now, lemme get a piece of that action, god that motherfucker, fucking mortalsword, I swear to god, what the fuck?, what a cheesenigger, god what a stupid fucking punk, dude has, fucking, like, Twilight Sparkle tattoos like, all over his arm, shit isn't even the right color, everyone knows it's like, pink and purple, next he's gonna get like, a fucking TomPreston tattoo with, a fucking bowler hat, what the shit is that?, yeah, that'll go great with your bunu mask, you homo, dude has like, a fucking lot of nerve, I heard he didn't even get, his driver's license, cause he punched some old lady, at the MVA, he was like, cutting in line, and she's all like, You can't do that!, and he's like POW, take that, bitch!, Next I'll stuff my dick in your mouth, speaking of which, you know how they're always, talking about, taking candy from a baby?, fucker took ice cream, out of a kid's hand, fucking pulled down his zipper, and fucking slapped his dick, on the ice cream, He's like, you still wanna lick it now, kid?, god what an asshole, he's the kinda guy, who'll fuck your sister, and then, brag about it to you, in front of your mom, when your fucking grandparents are visiting, and he'll go into like, gnarly detail too, and like watch you squirm, cause he's just a fucking bastard, god he's got no fucking manners, I'm driving with him this one time, he's in a school zone, and he's doing like, fucking 80, and I'm like, dude you're going too fast!, and he's like fuck that shit!, and he just like, speeds up and laughs, like some kind of deranged fucking cocksucker, then he hits this crossing guard, and he's all like, yeah that's what you get, for being Mexican!, I'm like dude!, that's fucking weak, and then you'll tell him something, and he'll be like, ACTUALLY, and then he'll correct you, on some fucking stupid minute detail, that nobody gives a cock about anyway, I just wanna fucking slap him, I can't even describe, how fucking terrible this guy is, he's got some kind of serious, sociopathic issues, we're at this like, greasy spoon, and like, some handicapped guy is there, drinking coffee, and he, like he goes to the restroom, right?, so then mortalsword goes, and PISSES IN HIS COFFEE, then the dude comes back, did you pee in my coffee, mortalsword?, and he's like, FUCK YOU, CRIPPLE!, and he goes, he pushes him over, and, I don't know where he gets all this piss, and he pisses on the dude's face, then he gets out his guitar, and he starts like, poking him, with the sharp little, string cutter thing, I'm like, dude, cut it out!, FUCK YOU!, and he like, pisses on me, too, I hope that fucker gets, what's coming to him, and I hope I'm not around, because it's like, it's going to be a fucking meteorite, that's what's coming to him, gonna crater him in the fucking head, not a minute too soon I tell ya man, what a cock, uh, wtf, I guess the moral of the story is, actually I don't know, apparently mortalsword has a bunu mask?, cool story bro, only fags use hashtags, like you