LOL TomPreston did it again!

Discussion in 'DeviantART' started by a.t., Jul 23, 2011.

A very friendly community
  1. PervyIdiot

PervyIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

I got 5 USD says they make Ty Lee or Suki bi though.

2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft
    Expand Collapse
    Shots Fired

Walking talking meat.
    I am fortunate enough to not know who either of those people are.

3. SteelPlatedHeart

SteelPlatedHeart
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

He
    He actually said he doesn’t see the point.

5D5FEF66-56A9-45A5-B73C-CBC742042B25. 7B33AF79-489A-4614-A871-F66CD78C7484.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Patroclus Rex

Patroclus Rex
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

mary has one r

5. Lavrentiy Beria (Jr)

Lavrentiy Beria (Jr)
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

The posting of feces
    Home Page:
    only a comic-book nerd talks like that. x-treme dorkery.

6. PervyIdiot

PervyIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

>WILL include actors of color and Asian ethnicity
    Is India no longer in fucking Asia? Are Hindis no longer brown? Help me out here.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    • List
  7. fleacollerindustry

fleacollerindustry
    Expand Collapse
    Nononkin

Turd Polisher
    Home Page:
    I've long since ascertained that Dobson has zero knowledge about race, he just likes to pretend he does so he can be offended on my behalf.

8. Ricki

Ricki
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Isn't that pretty much every SJW out there?

On another note does anyone else here hate visiting Dob's Facebook just to get updates on him? I don't have a Facebook so the site is shoving shit in my face demanding I make an account. Bitch no amount of popups is going to make me want to sign up.

9. Chrono

Chrono
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon

Attention Whore
    Oh. Dobson is still shit for professional standards?

10. mutt

mutt
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

So I remembered that thing Dobson did about sexualized poses and I realized a few things that bug me about it:

[​IMG]

1. What does she do if she needs to open a bottom drawer? Sure the cabinet in the example only has one drawer, but that's because it's fucking retarded and a real cabinet would have at least two if it had that much room.

2. When she does inevitably need to open a drawer lower than waist height, she probably should bend down the way she is in the "pandering to male gaze" image. Keeping her back straight and legs apart, without a slouch. I'd keep her heels on the ground, though.

She's totally slouching in the first picture, too. You can see it in the way her shoulders kind of roll forwards and her neck is craned. That's bad for your back. I've started wearing a fuckin' posture corrector to help fix my own slouch because it caused me all kinds of back pain at work.

tl;dr: having good posture and drawers below shoulder height is sexist

• I Agree I Agree x 1
    • wut wut x 1
    • List
  11. A Fucking Box

A Fucking Box
    Expand Collapse
    Removed

Wizard-Emperor of Wiztantinople
    Home Page:
    lol do you stick your ass out everytime you need to bend over?

• List
  12. Ricki

Ricki
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

So Dob just launched a new Patreon page.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any D&D players want to weigh in on this?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. RhinoPak

RhinoPak
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Shooting People
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Quality Shoop Quality Shoop x 2
    • I Fapped I Fapped x 1
    • Trigger Warning Trigger Warning x 1
    • List
  14. slimelurker

slimelurker
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

If you really wanted to avoid any and all sexism/male gazing in the picture, then you would draw the scene from the inside of the drawer.
    1example.
    Like so. Not only is Dobson's "correct" example stilted and boring, it also doesn't actually solve the problem of showing a woman in her underwear when we're trying to raspict wamin. Showing the scene from the inside the drawer provides an interesting perspective, and places emphasis on the woman getting dressed rather than her current state of being half-dressed.

• I Agree I Agree x 2
    • Quality Shoop Quality Shoop x 1
    • List
  15. PervyIdiot

PervyIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

They're just reflavorings of standard magic items, except someone didn't read the price guide because those are way too cheap and are going to unbalance the campaign quick.

16. mutt

mutt
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

why do you think I'm bendin' over? ;)

17. Patroclus Rex

Patroclus Rex
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

wow so if i hit him up with a commission on dA is he gonna pay me now

• List
  18. A Fucking Box

A Fucking Box
    Expand Collapse
    Removed

Wizard-Emperor of Wiztantinople
    Home Page:
    not sure what you mean but i get a sexually charged vibe from this which i dont like

19. fleacollerindustry

fleacollerindustry
    Expand Collapse
    Nononkin

Turd Polisher
    Home Page:
    Typical Dobson humor: milked the lowest hanging fruit for what little he can from them.

Some other updates:

v-weighs-in.

lol how the fuck do you mess up drawing consistent fingers. It's not like we have more than two hands or anything.

Also I'm interested that he's still using his OC. I'm still tempted to write a more interesting story with his OCs than he ever could... but... meh.

I also didn't realize this existed.

E: I spent the last 15 minutes shitting this out. Maybe if I spent more time it would look better, but whatever. 15 minutes could save Dobson 15% or more on stress by switching to a better work ethic.

DOBSON-OC-DONUT-STEEL.

PS: does Dobson even know what college girls of the current year dress like? Who tucks in their shirt and cuff their pants these days? I can't think of any adult woman who tucks in their shirt like that.

#51439 fleacollerindustry, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  20. fleacollerindustry

fleacollerindustry
    Expand Collapse
    Nononkin

Turd Polisher
    Home Page:
    Sidenote: I find it interesting how Patreon actually encodes link referrals within the source code of a website.

referral.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  21. PervyIdiot

PervyIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

The biggest problem I see is that the paintbrush looks like an afterthought. Her hand is clenched in such a way that the brush is running straight through her fingers instead of being held between them. If this were real, she'd be screaming bloody murder with a hunk of wood jammed through the bones of her fingers. I bet Dobson got to the end, realized he forgot to have her holding something, and just said fuck it.

22. Chrono

Chrono
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon

Attention Whore
    At first thought the sketch was good looking, but became really hard to look at it, after seeing the issue with the finger inconsistency. Dobson really does a good job of letting the small, otherwise not terribly noticeable errors ruin the whatever he makes, effort or otherwise. That's what I should call the Dobson effect.

It's fine to have errors in your work, and it could still look good, but Dobson, it's less forgivable for he really goes overboard with them for being there with about almost everything he just makes.

23. Lavrentiy Beria (Jr)

Lavrentiy Beria (Jr)
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

The posting of feces
    Home Page:
    Fucksakes.....

That asshole has been the butt of online jokes for how many years? He's had an ED article for SEVEN YEARS far as I can tell, an article that keeps getting longer and longer and more hostile. There's an IRC channel about him and this thread is one of EDF's longest of all time. Plus the Kiwifarms thread is up to 2216 pages.
    https://kiwifarms.net/threads/andrew-dobson-tom-preston.16465/page-2216

But Dobson keeps coming back for more and more abuse. How many Patreon pages is he running now? Ive seen at least four Kickstarters but all failed years ago.

He must enjoy the torture and the mocking, all i can figure.
    myfavegames.

• Shots Fired Shots Fired x 1
    • List
  24. fleacollerindustry

fleacollerindustry
    Expand Collapse
    Nononkin

Turd Polisher
    Home Page:
    lol the "Dobson Effect"; I've noticed that too.

Like, art can have errors, but if the story is good enough, or something else at least distracts the viewer, then those errors become more irrelevant. But if you don't have a good story or some other way to distract viewers, once the viewer realizes that their time has been wasted by the piece, they're going to try to entertain themselves to salvage the experience and in turn spend it on picking it apart.

It's also what happens when there's a LACK of a reasonable willing suspension of disbelief; having the ability to invoke the willing suspension of disbelief allows the reader to ignore the fact that shit that is realistic in the story doesn't make sense in real life. For example, it's pretty common for random people to die randomly in a random way... but if the main character in a story dies in a similarly random way, readers will spot that right away and feel that that doesn't make sense. It's like, while reality has no writer, stories do, so while reality has no ability to consciously avoid cliches and "random" deaths, a sapient writer does.

Dobson's history is full of this. His regular abuse of low-hanging fruit in his stories and jokes, his shitty writing which does little to distract his readers from his crappy art. His first So You're a Cartoonist "joke" was shallow and absolutely set the tone for his series.

starving-artist.

The thing is, he has the ability to do better work. His comics about his work-place experiences has got to be the most honestly legit writing he's done... if I could find it. Even when plebcomics took his art and cleaned it up, she didn't need to do much beyond add in one thing or take one thing out:

tumblr_inline_p4bcz43HRN1r7r8ub_1280.

So yeah, the Dobson Effect is definitely real... it's him willingly taking a shitty route, probably just so he can call it his own. His loss.

• I Agree I Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  25. fleacollerindustry

fleacollerindustry
    Expand Collapse
    Nononkin

Turd Polisher
    Home Page:
    His main Patreon page is down to about $48 now.

While one could argue "that's still $48 more than doing nothing!", I can earn more by simply turning my altcoin miner on for a week.

PS: I am really getting sick and tired of Dobson's "feet glued at the heels and pointing out at an obtuse angle" look with his legs.

tumblr_pgre6vdzfH1xc18kyo1_1280.

• Quality Shoop Quality Shoop x 1
    • Disgusting Disgusting x 1
    • wut wut x 1
    • List
  26. Chrono

Chrono
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon

Attention Whore
    The fact he's been doing it for years with very little improvement, is why I'm finding myself liking him less and less. I'm pretty sure most people had admitted to thought Dobson's work looked okay or rather acceptable at their very first glimpses at it, I certainly did when I first laid eyes on Dobson's work. But of course, I progressively finding myself disliking it when you really start to notice how he just leaves the plaguing errors without actually wanting to correct it--because constructive criticism is an insult to Dobson. And it just gets worse, when you start to see the shit arrogant behavior he has and even having the audacity to let it reflect rather bluntly on his works. Both with the parts of being extremely anti-criticism and/or far-left, neither are really good things to be.

Ya know. It's kind of sad really, SYAC really is just a self-reflective comic on how much Dobson actually sucked as a cartoonist, graphic novelist or whatever he wants to call himself. The series did had potential to be interesting, educational, and innovative as it could've shown the whole perspective for the artists working on comics and mangas, seeing what it was like to make the art, stories, or whatever situations that could've happened to see how they got their inspiration for things in their own comics/manga stories or how it felt to work on big comics like Superman and/or Batman--as an official artist or writer for DC Comics. But nope, unfortunately SYAC really is just the story of Dobson, and him alone. Just himself versus the world, writing stories of being a struggling failure. His biggest accomplishment was just making Alex Ze Pirate, a barely selling indie comic? Get the fuck out, why should we care about your life struggles?

• I Agree I Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  27. PervyIdiot

PervyIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Re: Dobson Effect

It happens because he never bothered to learn how to fix his most common mistakes or go back and edit them out. Instead, he just got better at adding extra details to hide his mistakes. At first sight, your eye picks up on the distraction and glosses over the mistakes, so the pic looks good. But then you go back and start noticing one mistake and then another and another, until the whole piece falls apart under the weight of the mistakes.

28. SteelPlatedHeart

SteelPlatedHeart
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

29. Lavrentiy Beria (Jr)

Lavrentiy Beria (Jr)
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

The posting of feces
    Home Page:
    I bet there's more than one Tumblr complaining about him. He's like, 50% of a "professional cartoonist", and he's too much of an arrogant and judgemental chode to overcome his remaining shortcomings. He thinks the world owes him a "career". COULD do it but never will. No wonder he's a moderator on DA. People will suck up to him there no matter how stupid/insane he acts, because POWER.

30. Chrono

Chrono
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon

Attention Whore
    I suppose it's not really a big surprise there for him to have power on DA. Dobson basically is the biggest DAtard to exist. Yeah, deviantART might've been the homeplace for many notable autistics such as Chris Chan, but Dobson really does qualify well under all of negative aspects of the DA community, like he's the king of deviantART. Like...

☑ Style is totally not stolen from Anime.
    ☑ Takes Constructive Criticism as an insult.
    ☑ Overly Uncreative Characters. (A little more effort than your average Sonic OC, but nothing too much to really like.)
    ☑ Has a fetish with Anime Girls and/or Furry creatures.
    ☑ Is Furry.
    ☑ Pretended to be a female for attention whoring.
    ☑ Cared about the number of pageviews, watchers, etc.
    ☑ Blocks you over your negative opinions.
    ☑ Makes Journals about how some people like you are hateful trolls.
    ☑ Thinks their watchers, supporters is their personal army.
    ☑ Overall uses the site as their own hugbox.
    ☑ Will fuck up greatly doing a proper job, not even commissions.

idk what else.