Let's Make an App....

Discussion in 'Your Shitty Projects' started by Golem, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Golem

Golem
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

Nigger
    Home Page:
    Hi Thar, I have a project that I would like some help on. Even if you are not a programmer you can contribute with your beta testing and ideas. We have Facebook, LinkedIn, Online Shoping, Craig’s List, Ebay, Jewtube, Gaming, Twitter, IRC, etc. Why not design an app with the functionality of all the above while cutting the crap out? Below are some screen shots from a mock application I created (it runs but doesn’t do anything). Here is the idea: A new account is created, and so the user is assigned a user ID (random but is used to track everything). The user makes a Social Profile (and can Change his name and Nick at any time – Similar to $team) and also sets his Business Profile (kept separate from his social profile, although the user can set permissions as to what content can be viewed). Also the user will be able to use chat rooms with this app, access content from shared folders of other users, watch TV, install widgets, set up a shop to sell shit, etc. Is this best Idea or what? I don’t want big ads that are bothersome, my idea is to set up a “ticker” at the bottom that displays status (like a shout box) and scrolls a few text ads at the bottom. The bottom will display an ad that the user is interested in. i.e.: “John Smith uploaded new photos in album l Click here for cheap off shore VPS Hosting l Jenny Tarver likes your comment l” I would like to build an ad-revenue model that also makes the user money for setting up hosting on their machine, but I am worried about privacy information being farmed, etc. Anyway, what do you guys think?
    @KoalaRimjob Tag, you're it. 1. 2.

2. TwoStar

TwoStar
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Doing nothing all day
    Home Page:
    Did not read.

3. a.t.

a.t.
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

tl;dr

4. KoalaRimjob

KoalaRimjob
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Server Administration
    Thats decent but you would have to load the page first in a webbrowser control and then get the browser control to fill in all the controls with the content.

Problem is this is a pain in the ass to do for one site let alone all the above and whenever they change their layout it stops working

Services would ban you tho

5. Golem

Golem
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

Nigger
    Home Page:

This app would not "tie into" facebook/twitter/LinkedIn - we would supply our own services. The app can be ran stand alone on your computer or within a browser (again like steam). There will be an option to install controls and widget that may run facebook/twitter from the app, but we are looking to compete with these services, not have them running in the app.

I have a few concerns;

(1) What information can, and should be stored on a web server vs. client side, and how that information is fetched from one client to the other.

(2) How the video/radio/music client would work (i.e. like channelchooser)

6. KoalaRimjob

KoalaRimjob
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Server Administration
    Everything should be server side, If its important like credit card numbers or passwords you need to hash that (sha). The way to stop people stealing personal data is for your server to ensure that they are authenticated then authorized to view the information.

Video & music is easy enough (both the browser and program can playback both) unless you want to do automated transcoding (then youll need something like sorenson or carbon server)

Not sure about radio we always used flash media server