IRL Life Help

Discussion in 'DeviantART' started by Lurkerella, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Lurkerella

Lurkerella
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Probably not the right forum to post this but this is where all the artfags hang around.

I have a friend who wants to work on game design (it's about to change major) and wants to learn how to draw. I have had no problem helping people with this because when they normally say "I want to learn how to draw" they actually mean "I want to learn to draw properly" because they already has some conception of art, and/or they have some experience (even if that experience is only retarded doodles on your notebook, it still works).

The problem is that this friend doesn't fall on that category.

I was hoping that at least he knows how to observe so then everything else would be eating cake... NOPE, the other day we where all loling at drawings with horrible anatomy and trying to find anatomy mistakes and such and he was like "I don't see anything wrong".

I subtly told him "This is going to fail miserably" as "Why don't you team up with an artist? A lot of game designers do that example: Tajiri x Sugimori" but he said that it would be way easier if he can do it himself, which is true... Except the part in which he learns how to draw it first.

Did I mention he is +20?

I showed him some good tutorials and books, like Loomis. Said he will check them later.

So anyway, do you know about a good book (online or not) with really REALLY basic tips for drawing newbies? Or is he completely hopeless?

2. Moo

Moo
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Home Page:
    He isn't completely hopeless I don't think, there is a great thread on Conceptart (I can't find it now sadly) where some 30+ year old guy started drawing for the first time in his life, and after not that long he was making some kickass art. I think a large part of that was because he found good support from the community there.
    I'd tell your friend to join conceptart for sure.

edit: and I'm not so sure that his not being able to see many anatomical issues means he is hopeless. I can spot artistic issues with things a LOT better now than I could a couple of years ago. that's just me though

3. TheForRealDeal

TheForRealDeal
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Frankly what you already showed him should be enough
    If it isn't, then yes, it's hopeless

Also yes, conceptart
    Keep him away from DA if you can

4. Lurkerella

Lurkerella
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

This post gave me hope.

I shall try to find that thread too :Ic I want to see the process so maybe I can design a plan for my friend.

5. captainbeefheart

captainbeefheart
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

no, conceptart USED to help, now it's just guys giving you some random advice, but most of the time it's a "it looks good" which is relatively better than deviantart yet not enough.

6. Moo

Moo
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Home Page:
    I have a sketchbook thread that I maintain pretty regularly, and it hasn't all just been "it looks good" on there, so...

Yeah... it was so long ago the last time I saw it... what I can remember, though, is that he definitely just started by drawing everything around him, like spoons glasses people etc

7. TheDukeOfCrowns

TheDukeOfCrowns
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Unless you want to be a realist master painter, your skills in exact detail won't really count for much. I suggest he pick an art-style before he goes on making art for a living.

For Example. Hitler made rather decent landscaping, but his portraits were poor. He could have made a living on Landscaping alone.

8. captainbeefheart

captainbeefheart
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

also hey this sounds like me
    sounds like i'm "going to fail miserably".
    thanks for the cheers

9. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    Just what the world needs.

Another fucking useless wanker who wants to express his longing for his mother's breasts through his art.

Tell your mate to fuck off and die.

10. Clockwork-Like

Clockwork-Like
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I have a couple anatomy books by Barrington Barber "The Complete Introduction to Drawing" and "The Basics of Drawing". They're pretty helpful for when ever I need a refresher on my anatomy. And it has some good examples of old masters. It's written simply.
    There are a few other things about texture and distance. A good starter book with advanced works in it, so to say.
    Bittersweetdisease on dA has an ass load of tuts that are quite good too.

11. Lurkerella

Lurkerella
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Oh wow I just found about MindCandyMan.

How foolish I was thinking people is "too old" to learn new things.

I feel bad for thinking that way but I feel good for finding out there is hope.

This is also making me reconsider taking drum lessons, I always wanted to play drums... *Hearing Bonzo's Montruex right now*

Who came up with the phrase that "Old dogs don't learn new things"? It's a gay phrase.

One of this days I'm going to the local library and look for a good book for him because I'm nice like that.

Should check out those, I love fox-orian's tutorials but I think they are too advanced.

12. TheDukeOfCrowns

TheDukeOfCrowns
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Sounds like you just want to get in this guy's pants. Fuck already.

13. Lurkerella

Lurkerella
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

He is more "my boyfriend's friend" than "my friend".

But I like to be nice to everyone, I was born this way.

14. Clockwork-Like

Clockwork-Like
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

"Can't teach and old dog new tricks"
    But you can teach them skills

15. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    Yeah. Me too.

I hope your boyfriend doesn't get caught penetrating an underage black hooker.

16. Lurkerella

Lurkerella
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Couldn't find those in local libraries but I'm seeing if I can find something helpful enough, but first I will wait for him to tell me how Loomis training went because too much authors at the same time may confuse him.

Also MindCandyMan is awesome:

Thanks for everything guys!

17. Clockwork-Like

Clockwork-Like
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I think I might have bought the books as some book store a few years ago. Maybe Barns&noble... I think the price was 20$ for them together.

18. TickTock

TickTock
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

http://www.scribd.com/doc/44282061/Burne-Hogarth-Dynamic-Figure-Drawing-in-English
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/39689073/Burne-Hogarth-Drawing-the-Human-Head-Eng
    Might be a little too advanced, plus they're old school, but if he's determined to become an artist they'll come in handy eventually.

http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Classic-Approach-Drawing-Construction/dp/0891340971
    This one would probably be better for beginners, but I don't have the pdf for it.

Also, there are plenty of different areas of game design. Concept art is the most competitive and difficult to get into, but there's also environment art, texture creation, storyboarding, lighting, 3D modeling, etc. He might find he's better suited in a different area if he tries them out.

19. Clockwork-Like

Clockwork-Like
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

20. Voodeuxfy

Voodeuxfy
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

I build cool shit, and investments.
    Home Page:
    I'm only good at drawing straight lines/ machine based concepts, which in turn helped me with a lot of my patent work. Organic forms... not so much.

21. Chorvaqueen

Chorvaqueen
    Expand Collapse
    gay singing robot

singing robot fucker
    Home Page:
  22. Lurkerella

Lurkerella
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I hate those books, they are fucking misleading and mostly people working for them can't draw shit.

23. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    Who the hell are all you people?

24. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    How about this. Tell him to stop with the art and get a REAL major. IMO anyone who does art, is in art, art school, or doing an art, cinematography, or whatever school is a piece of shit idiot. Its basically saying "ok, I want to spend 120,000 to work at starbucks"

25. TheForRealDeal

TheForRealDeal
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Another month, another failed HGC raid

26. Lord Raptor

Lord Raptor
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Pixar's dollars say hi.

27. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    pixar's money comes from clever marketing to retarded children. The animation is secondary, if not tertiary. You will never work for pixar besides. Maybe you might as a coffee boy. No one will ever appreciate your art.

28. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    My teacher make like $1000 per painting and he is pretty popular, maybe he not rich but is better than working in a coffee shop.

That is exactly what I want to paint, I will look for the book.

29. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    I'm with PerpA on this one, for once. Have fun pissing away your parents money at college now, because when all's said and done, the chances are that you'll all be working a third rate job, making a fourth rate income, and living a fifth rate life.

30. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    Oh lovely, a thousand dollars a painting. I wonder how many he sells in a year? He'd have to sell at least 30-40 t o make it a career, and god knows that's tough volume for an artist to move. Thats fucking chump change considering the effort one puts into them. And its not like he's exactly committing anything to posterity; I doubt we'll see any of his paintings in museums in a few centuries. Nor do I think the value of the paintings will appreciate.
    Honestly if that's the extent of what he can command, he's not popular. Khanzer, get a real job, you'll only get laughed at and scorned and kicked out when you can't pay the rent.