Humon's Bullshit

Fermented

Dramacrat
Something that came to my mind: A lot of people claim that one of the reasons humon is shit is because of Peter, the batshit crazy guy. More particularly because humon has used him for comical purposes when you're supposed to hate him. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that there's a difference between scandinavian and american humor and I think this is a good example.
I am a Swede, and if you go through the "comedy" category in swedish film stores you get quite a bit of rather depressing films, for example the Swedish classic "Tomten är far till alla barnen" (Santa is father to all the children). IMDB sums it up like this:
In what has to be one of the worst ideas in Christmas party planning history, Swedish house wife Sara decides to celebrate the yuletide season with her three ex-husbands and their families. Though her current spouse Janne initially is quite opposed, he eventually gives in. Then the booze kicks in. Families start infighting. Janne grows increasingly annoyed as the guests make repeated references to having sex with his wife. And during dinner, Sara announces that she is pregnant. This strikes Janne as odd considering that he had a vasectomy a year before. Soon the party devolves into utter chaos.
The party goes on to ruin the life of the neighbour family, along with being just really fucked in general.
You see.

Either way, thing is that I can laugh at Peter while still remembering that he's a terrible person, just like I can laugh at Sara even if she is quite likely the worst mother in modern history. I laugh at this:
(For those who didn't catch it, she's talking about her hamster, someone drops it and the guy kills it while closing the door).
Scandinavian humor is different, humon has to learn this if she wants to communicate properly with an international audience, just stating it in the comments wont do.

bobmalarky

EDF Elite
It's not like we don't have pitch dark comedy in America for god's sake [guess you've never seen Pulp Fiction? or Fargo? Very Bad Things? The Big Lebowski? goddamn Dr. Strangelove?] I'm getting tired of this excuse because I don't think it's what humon was aiming for. And if it was she fucking failed. [And you're comparing a crushed hamster to child rape, seriously?]

It's more like she has this serious crime drama in her head but she's too lazy to output anything but zany side stories or ... basically stupid fanart of her own shit that she's never written.

$$Trooper

I'm $$Trooper, a badass commie nigger.
Website
shadoworgan.blogspot.com.au
(For those who didn't catch it, she's talking about her hamster, someone drops it and the guy kills it while closing the door).
Scandinavian humor is different, humon has to learn this if she wants to communicate properly with an international audience, just stating it in the comments wont do.

I'd like to know how Humon thought this was funny at all.
When anyone thinks of "humor" they usually don't think of ODing on heroin and depression.

bobmalarky

EDF Elite
We silly Americans are just naive and won't "get" Scandinavian humor. I looked at the description and she posted clips of what she thinks we'd be freaked out by [only one is still up]:

Bitch please.

Fermented

Dramacrat
I see, I'm not very familiar with the darker parts of american humor (as well as only using the examples that came to mind), so I pardon for that. But is Pulp fiction meant as comedy? I don't know, never got around seeing it.
And comparing a dead hamster to child molestation? No, as that picture was not made for comedic purposes.

Someone more oriented in cultural differences in humor who might make a better analyse?

bobmalarky

EDF Elite
Yeah it's funny how humon and at least two other people of Scandinavian origin in this thread assume Americans can't take dark humor. Or films about drugs and sex that are also funny. The fuck is up with that? Isn't our film industry the largest in the world? You don't think it's been just a little influential on other cultures' films? And yes Pulp Fiction is a very, very dark comedy in places at least. There's serious parts, and drugs, and rape, but lo and behold the film manages to make clear what is humor and what fucking isn't. And the character that's a rapist isn't zany in any fucking way.

And sure we pump out a bunch of retarded immature comedies every year, but those aren't the films people remember in the long run. Who's gonna remember "That's My Boy" in a year, and who looks back fondly on fucking "White Chicks" or something.

Okay the molestation picture she drew wasn't meant to be funny, but she's insisting on making the character funny, whacky, child rapist. No. This point can't be emphasized enough.

CuriousCat

EDF Hero
I don't think it's a matter of cultural differences - dark comedy has been present in majority of cultures, and films/books/theater plays/comic strips of this particular genre can be really funny, that is if done right. See for instance films bobmalarky mentioned, or some of the Monthy Python sketches.

The problem with Humon is that, just like Tom Preston, can't write comedy, especially dark comedy, because she has no friggin' idea about how it's supposed to work. Hence, she takes all those "controversial" topics, and, instead of making them funny, she does the complete opposite, which is moronic, disgusting and insulting.

desuchan

Dramacrat
http://fav.me/d2fhnd0
TF2 seems to attract some fucking creepy fangirls.

"Valve are murdering Team Fortress 2 fanon left and right these days, so it probably won’t be long before they’ll reveal that Medic and Heavy (Ups, I mean Drew Wolf) hate each other or something.

But until then, I will say this: The idea of a big Russian Communist and a crazy German Nazi doctor getting it on will never stop being ridiculously awesome!

I sketched out Spy standing next to them, wearing a Fascist uniform (Yes, his main nationality is French, but he talks Italian too, so screw you and stuff), but it looked really weird because of his mask."

PwnKage

Dramacrat
The thing about TF2 is that the characters have unique faces and bodies.