Horror games

Discussion in 'Video Games & Weeaboo Shit' started by Khanzer, May 18, 2012.

1. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    I'm pretty easy to scare and that is why I avoid horror games all time, even terrible games can scare me.

I want to change that so guys how do you deal with the horror? do you like this genre? any tips to don't be scare? and what is your favorite horror game?

2. Lord Raptor

Lord Raptor
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Have you tried playing 'goofy' horror games like Dead Rising? It's a pretty fun series if you like zombies and some dark humor.

3. KoalaRimjob

KoalaRimjob
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Server Administration
    Dead Space & Dark Decent are my favorites

4. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

GBP Management Assistant
    Fatal Frame, Siren: Blood Curse.

5. KKKoonhater

KKKoonhater
    Expand Collapse
    Faggot

I work for LULZ INC.
    This sums me up perfectly:

[​IMG]

6. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Recently got Silent Hill: Downpour and the Silent Hill HD Collection. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH.

Anyway, off the top of my head I've played the entire Silent Hill series, the entire Clock Tower series, the entire Chzo Mythos series, the vast majority of the Resident Evil series and the entire The Suffering series. I played Haunting Grounds, Dead Rising 2, Dead Rising: Off The Record, Still Life, Syberia and a bunch of other games that might or might be considered horror/survival. I was going to play Rule of Rose when I was younger but I couldn't find the damn game and it made me a very sad panda. (Fucking censorship, mang.)

7. Lord Raptor

Lord Raptor
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

So, the HD rendition is pretty good then? I've seen some people bitching about the controller or something.

8. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    Dead Space is the shit, and the constant nerve wracking suspense is what makes horror games fun.

9. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

Horror games = boring jump scares

10. TwoStar

TwoStar
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Doing nothing all day
    Home Page:
    Horror is a dead genre, as much as the feeling of horror itself is.

11. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Man up, play Amnesia: The Dark Descent. If you make it through that, you're desensitized enough to play anything. Even Silent Hill 2 will slightly startle you at best after Amnesia.

12. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    But I played it, my cousin tricked me saying that is was not so scary, because I love games were you explore and resolve puzzles I played a custom room and it was good until I almost get a hear attack...

13. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Not gonna lie it scared me pretty bad too. It's all about not being able to fight the monsters. If I can kill the monsters, especially in a shooter, I get so laser focused on looking for monsters and killing them that the whole horror atmosphere is more or less lost on me.

Happens with most action games I play, really. I get so absorbed in the mechanics and giving headshots, or super-combos or what have you that the levels might as well be just grey walls. I blame it on the endless hours of CS I played in my youth.

14. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Oh, I forgot System Shock, Bioshock, Condemned and Siren!

As a side note, Bioshock is an awesome game with a mediocre ending and Bioshock 2 is a mediocre game with an awesome ending. Funny, no?

I've only had time to finish Maria's story in Silent Hill 2. I haven't played it before so I have no idea if it was different from the first but I do remember a hallway with painfully gruelling noise. I might've been a glitch or part of the game. No idea. I'm going to be playing Downpour so yeah.

15. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    I see.

16. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
  17. Lord Raptor

Lord Raptor
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Not sure if it is a good recommendation. Heard bad things of it, such as bad controlling, clunky animation and useless NPCs.

18. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

System Shock is definitely quite scary (especially 2), what with the "your song is not our song" etc.

But Bioshock is hardly a horror game. And yeah, the ending blew. If you harvested the little sisters you were portrayed as a merciless conqueror, wtf. Talk about blowing thigns out of proportion. And the other ending was way too Disney to fit the game.

19. n1bblir

n1bblir
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I've been watching horror movies since I was small and since that time I've been trying to find the "ultimate" horror experience, which so far, has been dissappointing. I thought dead birds was scary, but it wasn't scary at all for me for example... but anyway...

Silent Hill is a great series, personally I like all of them (I haven't tried downpour yet but I heard it sucks), however, you should probably try to play the original first since it's the scariest.

Doom 3 is pretty good, but you're clueless half the time in the dark as well so that's another thing. The original Quake is pretty scary if you can get a hold of a copy to play it as well.

I've tried Amnesia but I haven't gotten far enough I don't think to see anything scary about it yet... so I'm not totally sure...

And Dead Rising sucks fucking ass. Through the whole game I wanted to punch out that fatass nigger rent-a-cop who keeps fucking calling you at the worse possible times to whine to you about how you're ignoring him and shit. Trust me, you'll spend more time wanting to kick him in the balls than any other zombies you come across.

20. Lord Raptor

Lord Raptor
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I think it is a good thing that they made Stacy easy to ignore in the sequel.

21. TheForRealDeal

TheForRealDeal
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

"Horror" games have yet to create a situation that makes me any more fearful than "man, I hope I don't die and lose all my progress since my last save, that would be pretty annoying"

Despite that I still swear by James Sunderland

22. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Forgot "Alone In The Dark" and "Undead Nightmare." RDR is a brilliant place to have a horror game. Imagine that.

A shitty horror game is still a horror game.

As far as I know Bioshock was going to have three or four decent endings (depending on your choices) but due to budget and time restraints they had to make it two-and-a-half endings.

I remember playing Silent Hill 4 (I owned a copy) and I dreaded leaving my "safe" apartment for the Otherworld. (It acted as a symbolic womb, if you will. HURRDURR.) Giving the player a choice between a safe but claustrophobic environment and a dangerous world full of horrors is a good idea for a horror game, methinks.

All the Silent Hills have something special. Something to set each game apart. That's what makes them pretty okay. We'd get Mario or Sonic type quality if they did what other game developers did.

23. Rock

Rock
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Pretty boy swag'n
    Home Page:
  24. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse
    Ultra Furry

You guys should check out SCP: Containment Breach, its scary as hell