Horizontal side-scrolling Shooters

Discussion in 'Video Games & Weeaboo Shit' started by Ricki, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Ricki

Ricki
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

So right now I'm working on making a horizontal shooter for the first time. It's still really early in development-wise.

Since I've never made one before I decided to do some research (aka Youtube and gaming) on what makes this genre fun to play. I've figured out most of what I'm going to do but there are some things still in a grey area for me. I was wondering if there are any fans on here that could give in their two cents.

- What's your favorite shooter and why? I really enjoy the Parodius franchise, Darius Twin, and Gynoug

- I've been thinking about how I'll place enemies in each level. From what I've seen there's not much planning that goes into it besides making sure it's not too crowded or too empty. Anyone else seen anything different?

- Do you prefer games that have multiple routes like Darius Twin, or games with just one?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    • List
  2. PastorOfMuppets

PastorOfMuppets
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

I used to have a copy of R-Type Final for the PS2. not sure if it counts as a side-scroller, but its one of the best games of its kind for the PS2, if not in general. It also has multiple routes and game endings that make a compelling story. I would suggest doing some research on it and work from there.

3. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    obsolete mule

[​IMG]

Take notes

• Like Like x 2
    • Quality Shoop Quality Shoop x 2
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Barrabas

Barrabas
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Carpetbagger Yankee Scum
    Would you consider metroid, megaman, and/or possibly Castlevania to be germaine to this topic?

5. Ricki

Ricki
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I can't believe I forgot about ChoAniki :mad: God damn the enemy design was amazing

As of right now I'm working on making a test level aka how I want to programatically set up levels. I've thought about creating the levels in two ways by using squares for the backgrounds:

bgStrategies.

The first one has all the background squares lined up as a path for the player. On one hand this sounds like a great way to make the environment change over time and add unique details. On the other hand, set up this way doesn't that make it possible for the player to not even have to fight the enemies? In theory they could reach the boss without playing (Cho Aniki uses this I think)

The second one uses two or more squares and repeats them until the boss at the end. With this I could set it up so that the player has to actually play the game in order to reach the boss. On the other hand this leads to repetitive environments (Darius twin seems to do this).

6. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    obsolete mule

I have no idea what you're talking about

You can throw together a side-scroller on Unity without too much effort. Are you trying to code this from scratch?

7. Choni

Choni
    Expand Collapse
    Anchor Baby Jihadist

With the second type does this mean the screen does not advance until the enemies is destroyed? I think R-type used a combination of both to fake up and down movement as well as side scrolling.

8. Ricki

Ricki
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm pretty close to getting my degree in programming and I rather program it all to get a better understanding about how games work.

The thing with coding is that background images can only be so wide. You can't set up an entire level's background with just one large image. To bypass this you have to split the image up into square tiles and place them accordingly.

Okay I am very retarded. I just rewatched some footage of Darius Twin; turns out they don't do that, their backgrounds were just hard to differentiate. I'm probably going to go with the first method, that one seems to be how it's done.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. realgert7

realgert7
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

russia has no jokes of his inauguration the anti-trump crowd would be neat to get more

10. dropdatwat

dropdatwat
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

tryhard sage
    make an open-world FPS instead

11. ilovemenandwomen

ilovemenandwomen
    Expand Collapse
    EDF2's #1 Suck Up

What is the game called? What is your dev name?

12. Choni

Choni
    Expand Collapse
    Anchor Baby Jihadist

If the coding ability allows for it, it may be neat to have both. Some parts could be linear and then for enemy swarms or whatnot you could maybe just cylce screens to represent advancing waves.

13. Isnotright

Isnotright
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Professional Man Slut
    Sega's Thunderforce series, enough said. multiple routes, mid and end boss fights per planets, and reactionary environs.

14. Ricki

Ricki
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Funny thing about that, I'm currently taking a 3d computer graphics class this quarter. I'll get back to you on that in June.

Since I've been extremely busy with college and classes I haven't set up a dev name yet. Since it's just me making games I thought about using my own name or a nick name. I'll make it official once I'm far enough along on this game to be comfortable with calling myself a gamedev.

I'll be honest I'm terrible with naming things without making it sound gay, because of that giving names tends to be one of the last things I do. I have gone through some ideas though:

- Bibo and Pippina (The main playable characters)
    - An unusual trip
    - Nihil facit sensu
    - Eye will find you

The game's concept art I made for it has some bizarre designs in it along with many, many eyeballs so I'm trying to stay with that style for the name.

15. Patroclus Rex

Patroclus Rex
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Eyeballs in Your Mouth
    Cornea-holed
    IRIS - The Eyeslamic State

16. Failstation

Failstation
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

EDF's Trump Card
    I made a vertical shooter in actionscript.

I can give you the source if you think it helps.