Higgs-Boson

Discussion in 'Religion & Politics' started by Dr. Rice, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    While I believe in a lot of crazy things (what you non-believers consider crazy), I would say I have an above average understanding of conceptual physics (as my math skills are only at failed calculus level), I don't understand what the big deal of the Higgs-Boson particle is. Yeah I know that its proof will explain where mass comes from and complete (lol alright) the standard model of physics.

However, what are the practical applications of knowing that the Higgs-Boson exists? I see how experiments to find out how neutrinos can reach FTL speeds is important, but why all the hoopla about the Higgs-Boson? I doubt its discovery will reveal a way to eliminate mass and allow large objects (like spaceships) to travel FTL.

I have talked to an engineer about the Higgs-Boson and he said that science has already proven it exists to the best of its ability as it is impossible to prove anything objectively exists. So I don't understand why there is continued work on this if it has already been proven? Is it just scientists need more evidence to get a Nobel Peace Prize in science or do they not have jobs?

Anyway since some of you are science nerds, can anyone explain the practical application of the discovery of the Higgs-Boson has to human science?

For those who don't know what the Higgs-Boson is, here is a link to explain it:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2012/01/201219105819292849.html

2. Nouble Digger

Nouble Digger
    Expand Collapse
    FURFRIEND

bad artist, pls commission
    What's the mass of a higgs-boson particle?

3. Atomic_Joe

Atomic_Joe
    Expand Collapse
    Joevahkiin

Throat Puncher
    Home Page:
    I don't know much about science, but I do know that I'd happily be the first dumbass to volunteer to test the first vehicle to go faster than light.

4. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    None on sight

But, quoting some dude:
    I know, I know, all this research is being done for pure scientific
    curiosity without any practical application, but when our
    ancestors saw the first natural lodestone magnets, none of them ever
    dreamed about how magnetism could used in hard drives or MRAM, etc.

5. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    We aren't primitive ancestors anymore, we are a much more knowledgeable about the universe around us and despite this, our greatest scientific minds don't have any idea what this knowledge can accomplish? Not even speculation?

6. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    That argument is applicable anywhere, anytime, and thus invalid

"C'mon, Galilei, we aren't primitive ancestors anymore. Can't you give us any speculation about the implications or inner working of that fancy toy that the chinks call "compass"? U loser..."

And let's take in account that we are much more knoledgeable only about the tiny fraction of the processes than can be described by linear equation and the like. The huge part ruled by non-linear mathematics..., about that we almost don't know shit

7. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Anyways, if you want a wild guess, maybe in a century, or two, that can lead to antigravity, FTL travel, quantum vacuum energy or whatever you want

8. Rev

Rev
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

First name Jim, last name Bob
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson
    "The Higgs boson is a hypothetical massive elementary particle that is predicted to exist by the Standard Model (SM) of particle physics. Its existence is predicted by the Standard Model to explain how spontaneous breaking of electroweak symmetry (the Higgs mechanism) takes place in nature, which in turn explains why other elementary particles have mass. Its discovery would further validate the Standard Model as essentially correct, as it is the only elementary particle predicted by the Standard Model that has not yet been observed in particle physics experiments."