Heart attack grill spokesman dies of irony

Discussion in 'News' started by Harpoons, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

[​IMG]
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/13/heart-attack-grill-mascot-dies

Lol, deserved it.

2. CocaineInMyBrain

CocaineInMyBrain
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

professional migrant
    In the end Fatty McFatbuns won in his crusade against anorexia, a Roman triumph one could say.

3. Ronny

Ronny
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

dago
    lol america

4. Red Dog

Red Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Resident Boozehound
    What a fucking idiot, someone should of just saved him the trouble and attacked his heart directly.

5. ClapYourClam

ClapYourClam
    Expand Collapse
    Oh shit, waddup

They did, with burgers.

6. Red Dog

Red Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Resident Boozehound
    I'm saying government conspiracy. Obviously the NWO wants to kill us all with warm, fatty love.

7. umkemesik

umkemesik
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Internet Stalker
    Home Page:
    I saw this last week and lol'd. I really want to go there and try their burgers.

FUN FACTS:

People over 350 lbs eat free, so @The Member Formerly Known As Baya Rae 4900 will never go hungry again

If you finish the triple bypass you get a free ride in the wheel chair to your car.

The owner dresses like a Doctor. He used to own a chain of Jenny Craig.

8. ClapYourClam

ClapYourClam
    Expand Collapse
    Oh shit, waddup

All the fatties failing their diets must have broken him so now he's killing them slowly with all you can eat fries fried in lard and 9,000 calorie burgers.

What I am saying is that he is a hero.

9. Red Dog

Red Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Resident Boozehound
    Or an epic troll.

10. umkemesik

umkemesik
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Internet Stalker
    Home Page:
    In a youtube video (Which coincidentally I watched this Morning) the owner said he wants to get his "message" across. Apparently to show Fast Food can literally kill you.

Not only is he a hero by making fatties an hero, but he is fucking brilliant.

I'd post the video but I could not stand the faggot Reporter questioning his "morals" and the way he made money off this faty's death.

The irony of the reporter's own statement was lost on him, because the media makes its money off of reporting deaths and tragedy. Not to mention the shameless reality TV shows like biggest loser and Honey Boo Boo.

11. Whatever

Whatever
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Existing
    I'm not exactly sure if this qualifies as ironic.
    When you serve "heart attack" food that actually contributes to such an incident, the heart attack is an expected conclusion to these people's lives.

12. umkemesik

umkemesik
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Internet Stalker
    Home Page:
    It would be "Just as Planned"

13. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Reducing one's life expectancy by two decades is a small price to pay to eat ambrosia everyday.

• Like Like x 6
    • Autism Autism x 5
    • List
  14. Atomic_Joe

Atomic_Joe
    Expand Collapse
    Joevahkiin

Throat Puncher
    Home Page:
    Goddamn, that is some American-ass shit right there.

15. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    @oddguy - you're the resident expert on irony (ironically, as you don't speak English proper).

For once, your opinion is required.

16. jack

jack
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

17. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    No damn it!
    It is not ironic! It is appropriate!
    Appropriate is the oppsite of ironic.
    Ironic is when something happens which is the oppsite of what one would expect.
    Appropriate is when something happens that is EXACTLY what you would expect.
    A man selling heart attack burgers dying of a heart attack is appropriate. It would be ironic if he lived a long and healty life.. Or if he died of starvation.

18. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    Ironically, after asking for your opinion, I didn't read it.

19. hkh

hkh
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

prostitot
    so what?
    he got to die doing something awesome... smashing on some fat cheeseburgers.. i don't see an issue.

20. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse
    I'm $$Trooper, a badass commie nigger.

Dank Memes professor of Dank Community College.
    Home Page:
    America doesn't want its people to have fun it seems.

21. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

Dramatic irony is a disparity of awareness between actor and observer: when words and actions possess significance that the listener or audience understands, but the speaker or character does not; for example when a character says to another "I'll see you tomorrow!" when the audience (but not the character) knows that the character will die before morning.

This applies.

Situational irony is the disparity of intention and result; when the result of an action is contrary to the desired or expected effect. Being "shot with one's own gun" or "hoisted with one's own petard" are popular formulations of the basic idea of situational irony.

This also applies, as I'd bet there was no way he thought he'd actually die of a heart attack after spending years eating at and representing the heart attack grill.

Fuck you it's irony.

22. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Has anybody else gotten a sense of deja vu?

23. ge5undhe17

ge5undhe17
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Lab Tech
  24. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    No it does not because he is not a fucking actor.
    Dramatic Irony only applies in fiction, and even then his statement of "See you tomorrow" would be ironic but would have nothing to do with him eating hamburgers. Whatever he said would have to be pretty damn specific to apply to this situation. Like if he said something in his youth like: "I'm sure eating a hamburger every day will keep me healthy!", which still does not makes sense because he named it "Hear Attack Burger", so he was well aware of it's ramifications.

So even if this was a work of fiction (and it fucking isn't) I still find it hard to find the kind of "disparity of awareness" that would create situational irony.

Wrong again.
    First and foremost, what exactly makes you think there was no way he thought he'd actually die of a heart attack after spending years eating at and representing the heart attack grill? Even if it wasn't fucking named "The Heart Attack Grill" and you had some reason to believe this person is incapable of common sense and thereby doesn't know the health risks of eating too many burgers, your statement would STILL be purely speculatory because you have no fucking way of knowing what he was thinking.

But even if that wasn't true, that would still not constitute situation irony. That is because situational irony is derived from a disparity of results. Getting shot with your own gun is only ironic because of your belief that bringing said gun would result in you shooting someone else/it guaranteeing your safety. Therefore it would be ironic if this guy was eating hamburgers with the intent of gaining eternal life.

So fuck you, it isn't irony.

25. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

26. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

The definition of dramatic irony applies perfectly to this situation, regardless of whether or not it formally applies ONLY to works of fiction (I chose that example because it fits the situation, saying that you can't overlook the fact that the term was coined to apply to fiction in particular because it's an extremely common storytelling device is needless pedantry)

The fact that he voluntarily advocated these burgers every fucking day to the point where he was made a mascot and doubtless consumed a huge amount of shitty food in the process is more than enough to qualify, you're deliberately misinterpreting a very specific example, and let's be clear, the object of an example is to provide a clear definition of terms - hence the specification.

Unless you're saying that this guy was actively trying to commit suicide by eating this food (speculation, read on), then there's your disparity of awareness.

You're right, my suggestions as to the motives of this man are simply speculation. They're also extremely probable. What is also pure speculation is your assumption for the sake of argument that he knew what he was doing, so even if this did negate my argument it'd also destroy yours - your point is moot.

I don't know why you have to work in opposites, could it be possible that he was consuming food to continue the act of living rather than prolonging his life indefinitely? That constitutes a disparity of results.

TL;DR fuck you, it's ironic.

27. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

28. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    Dramatic irony applies ONLY to art of some sort. No amount of you trying to twist it's definition will change that fact. Your insistence that an event in real life (not a later dramatization of it, but the event itself) can somehow be dramatic irony shows a complete lack of understanding of what that term means.

No, it is not enough to qualify because it's still not dramatic irony.
    The dispute is over whether it is or isn't irony. The idea that it could qualify as dramatic irony if it was a work of fiction (it still couldn't by the way) is meaningless because it, in fact, still isn't.

And if you think I am misinterpreting a very specific example, then explain to me how the actual event in question is ironic. Not that there is any point to you bothering because nothing you can say will change the face that it isn't and can't be dramatic irony.

First of all, he was advertising. Secondly, it is reasonable for me to speculate that he knew hamburgers are unhealthy. It is unreasonable for you to speculate that "there was no way he thought he'd actually die of a heart attack" because it assumes that he was pretty much retarded.

But back to the point- for situational irony to occur, one must do something with the intent of getting one result and attain the exact opposite. Him eating despite what might happen is not the same as him eating with the intent of achieving the opposite of what happened.

You know what I would call a guy eating a hamburger called "heart attack" again and again until he got a completely expected heart attack?

"Appropriate" you moron.

EXTREMELY PROBABLE?! Assuming that this man has somehow avoided years of the media being bombarded with advertisement about the health risks of obesity, with the hamburger as the poster boy is somehow extremely probable!? Do you think that he lived in a cave? Do you think he didn't know what a heart attack was?

Saying this negates my point is like saying that if you said shit tastes good and I said it tastes bad than both our arguments would be equally valid.

----

tl;dr -
    It isn't dramatic irony because he isn't a fictional character.
    It isn't situational irony because ignoring the risks is not the same as expecting to opposite result, and assuming he was unaware of the risks is unreasonable.

29. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

Read my last two posts for the answer to that

People smoke in the face of countless anti smoking ads and so on, and although they know that cancer is a very real possibility it is very reasonable to assume that they don't fucking expect to get cancer. Of course he knew burgers are unhealthy, what doesn't follow is that he assumed that he would die of a heart attack as a result of eating them, because it need not have happened. It wasn't a certainty, and like every other human on the planet, it's pretty fair to assume that he indulged his vices while being aware of, but not giving credible thought to the consequences.

The definition cites a discrepancy, not an opposite, although I mentioned this in my last post, I guess you just skimmed right through that shit.
    You're dissociating his thought process with the assumption that he was as much of a calculating, appraising jew as you. The result he intended was to fill his stomach by eating an enjoyable meal, and understandably he would seek to repeat the pleasurable experience as much as possible.

Scroll up.

No, it's not like saying that at all - given the assumption that neither of us have eaten shit or have any concrete evidence to support our respective claims. I think you're full of shit and I'm sure the feeling's mutual, so this seems like a pretty good note to end on, seeing as we've both been tasting each other's shit for far too long.

30. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Delusion, nor discrepancy, isn't ironic per se. I have the delusion that some day I will get rich. That's pathetic, not ironic.

Situational irony is the "incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result"

There's nothing situationally ironical about this news

Dramatic irony is "when the words and actions of the characters of a work of literature or fiction have a different meaning for the reader than they do for the characters."

There's no dramatic irony there, as much as you call that "needless pedantry".

What is pretty pedantic, ironically, is to consider other's life a work of fiction, like it was just played in your benefit.

In this one Oddy is right and you don't. Deal with it. :)