Good Military Documentaries

Discussion in 'Music, Movies & Media' started by Lloyd, Apr 30, 2012.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
  1. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I recently watched a BBC documentary series (a mini-series really) from the 80s, called "Soldiers: A History of Men in Battle", and I really liked it. It dealt with how war was like for the average soldier in different times, and how evolving technology etc. changed the role of soldiers in battle.

It was logically presented (each episode dealt with a different type of soldier, e.g. Infantry, or Engineers), but what I liked most was that it found a good tone. It was neither preoccupied with continually pointing out that war is OMG SO BAD, sob! all the time, nor was it a History Channel Wargasm narrated by that guy with the really hammy voice that can get quite tiring if you're not American. It dealt with war in a matter-of-fact way, and the focus stayed on individual soldiers' experiences.
    Of course being from the 80s, it lacks a perspective on truly modern warfare, but it's worth it for the historical perspective alone.

Also it was co-written by Robert Ludlum, which is never a bad thing.

Care to recommend any more good military documentaries (maybe not WW2 ones, at this point I feel I have seen them all already, although to really achieve this is probably a feat no mere mortal can accomplish)? What are your faves?

2. Solution

Solution
    Expand Collapse
    Everyone is boring

Home Page:
  3. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
  4. SomeIdiot