Good (J)RPG games

Discussion in 'Video Games & Weeaboo Shit' started by Gaegogi, Sep 25, 2013.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
  1. Gaegogi

Gaegogi
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Reformation Camp #24 Guard #52
    I tried a lot of different Role playing games since the age of 8.
    From Maplestory to Diablo III; from Fallout series to Mass Effect; from Skyrim to Borderlands.

Most of these games are either Korean MMORPG(Maplestory, Mabinogi, Vindictus), or American paid-RPG like Mass Effect or Skyrim.

Because of this, my RPG mindset has been unfortunately converted to the 'casual' base. I never got to experience Final Fantasy, or the plethora of JRPG games that gets praised over so many times.

I recently got the Xbox 360 from a friend, and I was hoping that maybe that'll expand my chances of finding a good RPG (as i only had a PC before the 360).

tl;dr I want a good JRPG or a diamond-in-the-rough mainstream RPG. I tried /v/(lol), Google(mainstream shit i already played) but to no avail. pls halp ):

2. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

The best ones are retro, period. I could write a list that goes on forever but that's not what you're looking for.

For 360, FF13 tops the list. People can talk shit but the characters and atmosphere are engaging. Lost Odyssey is a close second.

Star Ocean and the Tales series are good but the battle system ruins it for me because I prefer turn based.

3. Lord Raptor

Lord Raptor
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

From the top of my head, I'd recommend Dragon Quest III. I like its system because it allows you to make your own party and set the status of your characters already in the beginning.

If it helps, /vr/ is more helpful regarding recommendations than /v/ itself.

4. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

Doge's asking for 360 games, but yeah, Dragon Quest 3 was awesome.

5. Gaegogi

Gaegogi
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

P-PC is fine too..

anyways, thanks. i already got FFXIII from said friend but i didn't think it would be great since /v/ had a thread of shitstorm about it. i'll try to play it tomorrow as i have to find something to hook my 360 with.

6. Lord Raptor

Lord Raptor
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

/v/ never really talks about games at all and the users there prefer to partake in pointless console wars. The only boards that relatively discuss games are /vg/ and /vr/.

Also, I just remembered that the whole Phantasy Star original series is avaliable in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. Even though they are retro games, it's worth checking since PS was a good example of (J)RPGs.

7. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

I would suggest steering clear of 4chan for anything related to anything and stick with a site that actually knows their shit like vgchartz.com

Phantasy Star IV is good but there's much better games out there if you're looking for retro.

8. SuicideKing

SuicideKing
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Planning a school shooting because muh feelings.
    Perfect world international biatches.:cool:

9. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

That is a Chinese MMORPG

10. SuicideKing

SuicideKing
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Planning a school shooting because muh feelings.
    We were discussing about american rpgs?

11. UncleSchomo

UncleSchomo
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

fucking douche jerk nugget whore puta
    I gave you some suggestions for FF games in the FF15 sucks shit thread. I can recommend you a few more games (I know you wanted 360 stuff, but here are a few others):

Shin Megami Tensei series - Probably one of the best jRPG series because of it's dark theme, and it shares a few features from Western RPGs (making choices that affect the game). The original series is balls hard, but so rewarding when you beat bosses. The spin off games are hit and miss depending on your taste (Even though it's almost unplayable now I liked the first Persona game for the music, but I hated the others for the J-Pop bullshit). Strange Journey is very fun from what I heard from a friend. Nocturne is awesome.

Phantasy Star 4 - Don't play the other 3 unless you have maps on you (2 is good, but you really need a guide book for it let alone maps for the first few dungeons). 1 is okay, but very hard because the game doesn't give you a clue on what to do next. 3 is a piece of shit.

Secret of Mana/Seiken Daisetsu series - play the Snes and Game Boy versions (the GBA/DS games suck). I heard SD3 was meh from those who played the whole thing. Secret of Mana's plot is stupid, but the combat is fun.

Earthbound - Someone is gonna suggest it. Might as well throw it in here .I'll let someone else talk about Mother 3 because the creepy fanbase and it's fucked up content pushed me away from the game (mostly the fanbase).

Dragon Quest Monsters - It's Dragon Quest, but you get to raise the monsters you fight in all 7+ games (You can even raise the bosses as pets!). DQM2 is the best one.

Nier - Great soundtrack, and interesting plot...oh yea, your party consists of a tranny and a spell book that looks like a Tim Burton reject.

There is an RPG from Sega that lets you customize your characters from hair to their outfits. I can't think of the name right now.

12. Bicarbonato

Bicarbonato
    Expand Collapse
    Officially No Longer a Newfag

Gas Chamber Repairman
    Home Page:
    aside from the ones that have already been mentioned I would recommend Neverwinter Nights 2 for the PC and its first expansion. The game had a grand total of three expansions, the first one was great, but the two that followed were terrible. For a PC Jrpg I would say Breath of fire 4 its fun and not as tedious as some other Jrpgs.

13. Hemlock

Hemlock
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Unemployed IT Student and Linux User
    Home Page:
    Resonance of Fate?

14. UncleSchomo

UncleSchomo
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

fucking douche jerk nugget whore puta
    Yup! The game looks pretty cool, since you have to move around like an action game (kinda like the upcoming FF15, I guess).

15. SergeTrigger

SergeTrigger
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Miniature Kaiju
    I played Blue Dragon years ago and remember kinda liking it.

I think there's also a bunch of less-expensive ones on the Arcade if you're looking for something that requires less of a time/money investment

16. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

Blue Dragon was good, it had a really old-school feel to it with the battles, overworld, etc. The story was weak though

17. Hemlock

Hemlock
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Home Page:
    The final boss music was bad, but it was good at the same time.
    The "Artist" tag for the MP3 of this song contained in Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden puts it best: "jesus christ the guy from deep purple sang this"

18. Onideus

Onideus
    Expand Collapse
    Taking Down ED

God of demons.
    "I tried a lot of different Role playing games since the age of 8. From Maplestory..."

...wait...what? How old are you? Do your parents know you're on ED? :confused:

19. Gaegogi

Gaegogi
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

20. SergeTrigger

SergeTrigger
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Miniature Kaiju
    Also if PC is still an option they did release FF7 on steam pretty recently.

I know it gets a lot of flack but I find the early parts of the game very engaging, but I'll admit it gets kind of stupid near the end.

21. Hemlock

Hemlock
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Home Page:
    The PSX version is still better. It's basically the PC version released in 97, except it is now compatible with current computers.

22. SergeTrigger

SergeTrigger
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Miniature Kaiju

but probably not so much better it's worth buying a ps3 for it.

23. Hemlock

Hemlock
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Home Page:
    Or you can be a cheap fuck and download the ROM for FF7.

24. Nicole

Nicole
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Trolling
    PS1 files are called ISO's, you ignorant fuck. :mad:

25. Hemlock

Hemlock
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Home Page: