Ghost in the Shell controversy.

Discussion in 'Video Games & Weeaboo Shit' started by Baya Rae 4900, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    So the people who're always pushing for fictional white males to be replaced with non-whites and/or non-males are complaining that Scarlett Johansson is being cast as Motoko.

• Autism x 3
    • Kill Yourself x 2
    • wut x 1
    • Nobody Cares x 1
    • OP is a Faggot x 1
    • List
  2. A Fucking Box

A Fucking Box
    Expand Collapse
    Removed

Wizard-Emperor of Wiztantinople
    Home Page:
    what who who

3. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse
    Sexually Delinquent, Permanently Sleepless

minty's bff4lyfe
    Scarjo's got the body to pull it off, and the sort of face that really takes on whatever roll she's cast in, so I'm ok with it. I'm more a Mila Jovavich (can't spell her name right) kinda dude for action movie babes, but Johanson is an award winning actress. I'm honestly surprised she took the role actually.

4. Synecdoche

Synecdoche
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Work Time Fun
    Home Page:
    i don't know how to feel about this, I mean blatant whitewashing or brownwashing is stupid but also it is an American movie so its ok? Can we give japanese people shit next time they adapt an American movie and they only cast japanese people for it? The only thing that will matter at the end is if Johanson gives a good performance and the screenplay doesn't suck.

5. fleacollerindustry

fleacollerindustry
    Expand Collapse
    Nononkin

Turd Polisher
    Home Page:
    Japan nipwashes all their movies too:

[​IMG]

These are supposed to be WHITE EUROPEAN characters.

It's hardly a stretch to say that EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY likes movies starring their own people, not people who look like foreigners. The actress playing Mikasa Ackerman in the AOT movie is played by a KOREAN-AMERICAN actress... in other words, she was deliberately cast to be the "foreign" character, as Mikasa in the original manga is the only "Oriental" character in the almost exclusively white European world.

I hate blatent whitewashing, like replacing the Asian Ancient One from Doctor Strange with white-ass Tilda Swinton, or Hugo Weaving's yellowface in Cloud Atlas. But I can accept ScarJo being Motoko Kusanagi, simply because there is no way in hell Hollywood was going to cast an actual Asian woman for the lead role... and that's because Americans still don't see Asian-Americans as "their own people" yet, but instead still see Asian-Americans still as "foreigners".

If anyone need to change concerning whitewashing Asian characters, it's the American people, not Hollywood. Hollywood is only in the business to make money... but it's the American people who willingly choose to NOT spend money on a movie with a "foreign-looking" lead.

• I Agree I Agree x 3
    • Kill Yourself Kill Yourself x 1
    • List
  6. fleacollerindustry

fleacollerindustry
    Expand Collapse
    Nononkin

Turd Polisher
    Home Page:
    IIRC Japan has this weird thing called Mukokuseki where anime characters look generic, "state-less". Where as state-FUL characters of a specific race definitely look like their race. This is likely to underline "foreigness". Take a look at these two characters from Patlabor:

Noa Izumi is a born and bred Japanese character:

NoaIzumi.~original.

Where as Kanuka Clancy is ethnically (half-?)Japanese, but was born and raised in the US:

Despite being the same race, Kanuka's Asian features are dialed up relative to red-haired, blue-eyed Noa, just to underline that Kanuka is the "foreign" character, not a normal Japanese person.

EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY does this in their own way; it's not exclusive to either Japan nor the US. This is why I don't feel too bad about Major Kusanagi being whitewashed in the Hollywood version of GITS, because this is just par for the course. NO COUNTRY, ultimately, wants a "foreign" character to be the lead protagonist, at least not unless there is some kind of moral lesson to be learned about "they're not so foreign after all!" or some bullshit. People who are ignorant to this will just shoot from the hip and be all "WHITEWASHING BAD! Let's boycott the movie!" At least do the research and learn that it's more complicated than that, and it's mostly their fault to begin with.

#6 fleacollerindustry, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    • I Agree I Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Rikoga

Rikoga
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Ghost of Black Iron Tarkus
    Lol.
    Motoko is nearly 100% prosthetic, as seen in the movies she can be whatever the fuck she wants.
    I just hope the movie isnt garbage.

8. Choni

Choni
    Expand Collapse
    Anchor Baby Jihadist

How could you even say it might not be the best movie ever made after they did such a good job with the Akira live action?

• I Agree I Agree x 1
    • Autism Autism x 1
    • List
  9. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

GBP Management Assistant
    It's going to flop regardless of casting choices even if the Internet really wants to make it an issue out of that. We all know on big projects like this catering gets in the way of artistic vision, original scripts with potentially enticing premises get butchered to make room for focus group's bait and proven formulas. On the other hand, if it stays too close to the source material and its complex human study it runs the risk of alienating a big chunk of the demographic. I have little faith in the director (Van Helsing, Snow White) who will most likely act as the exec's puppet for box office ensurance. This process will probably result in some halfass, insipid, safe middle ground none can really enjoy or care about.

But this is all kinda off topic really, since this is just another white cis beta male gamer genocide Snorlax thread.

10. Choni

Choni
    Expand Collapse
    Anchor Baby Jihadist

They already made this movie anyway.

• I Agree I Agree x 1
    • Bait Bait x 1
    • Autism Autism x 1
    • List
  11. WeeabooJuggalo

WeeabooJuggalo
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

fapping and playing Counter Strike
    Let's be real, movies based on anime are gay but I think Kite might have a chance since Quentin Tarantino is directing it.

12. ilovejesus69

ilovejesus69
    Expand Collapse
    Crisis Actor

Tbh I barely even remember the original Ghost In The Shell. I really liked the sequel though. None of this is particularly relevant to the thread, though.

13. mu mikami

mu mikami
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

not a basement-dweller
    well....like others here, i just want to be a good movie. (the original wasn´t so great though)

14. KaneLives95

KaneLives95
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Proud member of the Brotherhood of Nod
    Anime to live action movies in general are a terrible idea. Isn't Dragonball Evolution and that shitty Space Battleship Yamato movie proof enough?

Sailor Moon live action starring Jenny Mccarthy coming soon.

15. Fukken_NewGay

Fukken_NewGay
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Mason
    LOL! ScraJo has had so many whitification surgeries that she no longer looks Jewish enough to infiltrate media successfully.
    Her inate greed got the better of her.

• Fuck off retard Fuck off retard x 1
    • List
  16. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
  17. Lazarus+

Lazarus+
    Expand Collapse
    Verbal Laudanum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j6_H-PSml0
    Home Page:
    what dredged that up

good necro very yes

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    • List
  18. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Johansson can't get a break. She's like the only leading lady today and all she gets is shit from the anti-European cult about her roles. (Despite being Semitic.) I almost feel bad for her.