Freeware thread

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by zaiger, Nov 14, 2011.

1. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    This thread is for posting free useful software that is found around the internets (when I say free I mean truly free, none of that shit that tells you it's free then when you download it you realize that you have to pay to get the stupid thing to do anything useful).

WHEN ADDING SOMETHING TO THE THREAD POST LINKS TO WHERE YOU CAN GET THE SOFTWARE PLEASE.

I will start with a program I used last night when installing a new Linux partition to my laptop. This is one of the best drive partitioning programs I have used:

http://download.cnet.com/Paragon-Partition-Manager-Personal/3000-2248_4-10495078.html?tag=rbxcrdl1

2. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse
    It's not just about football

Judging you
    Home Page:
    I am monitoring this thread
    [​IMG]

3. Ahseyo

Ahseyo
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

DJ, Music Producer, Synth Programmer
    for music....

LMMS-A music studio freeware and opensource for use.
    It's really good if you're starting out, it might be a bit tricky to find out how to route everything to the mixer though.

http://lmms.sourceforge.net/

4. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse

Judging you
    Home Page:
    Audacity FTW

5. Ahseyo

Ahseyo
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

No audacity is shit it's generally only used for audio editing and only comes bundled with a few free VST's, i don't even know if it has standard VST support for v.2.0 and v3.
    LMMS has support for both audio amd midi editing, you can mix with it and do all the mastering and it has support for VSTi 2 and 3, which I've already checked, and I think it is able to run DX plugins although i am not sure if the plug in for mat even is useful since 2 and 3 pretty much is dominative these days....

6. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse
    I'm $$Trooper, a badass commie nigger.

Dank Memes professor of Dank Community College.
    Home Page:
    When i download anything i always use Either Jdownloader or IDM

7. Akula

Akula
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

n/a
    Home Page:
    Gimp, obviously. (Free alternative to Photoshop which accepts Photoshop brushes, textures, and many other things, plus is open source so people can make their own filters and such).

8. Beefcake

Beefcake
    Expand Collapse
    Best-selling author

Usenet superpost!

If you don't know what Usenet is, it's basically one of the oldest systems still on the Internet. At first it was conceived as a system to post messages in so called discussion groups, but it didn't take long for people to figure out they could encode binary files as Usenet posts. Usenet is one of the first public places for new releases to show up on, before torrents and rapidshare and gay stuff like that. Some providers give you free Usenet access, but most don't which means you have to pay a fee to use it.

These are the different packages you need to completely automate your Usenet downloading experience when it comes to movies and tv shows. All of them are multiplatform, but I suggest running them as services on a linux system that's online 24/7 for the best experience in media piracy. They also use web front-ends as the main means to control them so you can do all of this stuff local or somewhere from the internet. All you need is a browser and your port forwarding set up correctly. You might also need a dynamic DNS service if you have a dynamic IP address like me.

SABnzbd+

This is the actual downloader. Basically, you or a different program sends it an nzb file which tells it what and where to download. It can then run a set of scripts for sorting and renaming files.

Sick Beard

Sick Beard takes care of any tv shows you wish to watch. All you have to do is click 'Add Show', type a show title, select the right one and it'll start searching for every new episode right after it's aired in the quality you want. You can also tell it to search for the entire backlog of episodes of any tv show you wish and it'll start scouring the usenet search engines for them. Once it's found something, it'll send an nzb file to SABnzbd+ and tell it to use a post processing script so everything ends up in a correct folder structure: "/showname/season/episode.mkv". You can also set it up to use a mediascraper that downloads all relevant information about the show/episode so your mediacenter software (xbmc, like all the pro's use) knows exactly what you've got.

CouchPotato

CouchPotato does everything Sick Beard does, but for movies. All you have to do is type a movie name into the searchbar, hit enter, select the right movie and hit enter again.

Thought the initial task of setting up and configuring these packages might look daunting at first, this website has complete step by step guides for how to install and configure this stuff on a Ubuntu system (any Debian based distro will be fine with this guide) that even a complete linux newbie should be able to follow. You could even install this stuff on Windows, but let's be honest, being a media pirate is way too important to entrust to Microsoft.

9. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I have more or less this setup (I have an old-ass notebook with a giant HD for all my piracy, bc I can carry it around and connect it to TVs in other places), and I now have a custom-built rack full of neatly labelled external HDs filled with possibly tens of thousands of € in pirated media. It is the sole reason I have failed as a law student.

Highly recommended.

-edited to provide some more propaganda on how awesome such a setup is

10. KoalaRimjob

KoalaRimjob
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Server Administration
    I usually avoid freeware like the plague considering enterprise level is easily available online for free

Unlocker,prio,opera and X-Setup are the only freeware applications i use

11. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    True, but sometimes it is more of a pain in the ass to wait for seeds and fuck with cracks than it is to just use a free program which does the same thing only without the shiny GUI.

12. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse

Judging you
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

13. CONTCOM

CONTCOM
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Free shit I use are as follows
    • Fences: SO THAT I KNOW WTF I HAVE ON MY DESKTOP AND SO I CAN SEE MY BACKGROUND, FUCK THA TUSED TO BE HARD
    • utorrent, but everyone knows about that
    • zenwriter: because I'm not paying for the mac version and don't own a mac
    • Daemontools lite: If I mount an image for something, I'll do it maybe once a month. It's good.
    • Microsoft visual c++: Half decent compiler
    • Cryptool: cryptography tool. Free, easy to use, decrypts shit for me so I don't have to sit there STARING AT SHIT, TRYING TO FIND COINCIDINKS IN CIPHERTEXT
    • cdisplay: Because comics books on my computer are lulzy
    • Hamachi: Used to use this when I was 15 to play aoe2 with my mate from school. Don't need wires and it's retard friendly.
    I have a feeling everyone is going to have heard of most of these but I have a had a good time using them. I don't run much freeware because I don't really do much technical ccomputer stuff. I've got an old laptop going that I'm going to use to try and become good at 'putering and learn how to use Ubuntu as a stepping stone for using Linux in general as well as LEARNING TO_cod3

14. CONTCOM

CONTCOM
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

This shit sounds sick.
    I used to use usenet in highschool so I could find something laugh at. The science communities are ok but as of late it all seems to be a place to flame and troll hard in. Also thanks to google LOLOLOL GOOFLE DOES IT TOO which made my life easier.
    I've never downloaded anything off of it though, mainly because I cautioned against it.

15. LordEnrique

LordEnrique
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

16. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    http://www.mythbuntu.org

Freeware MythTV bundled with Ubuntu distro.

Brilliant PVR. Have it running on a shitbox Pentium PC w/ 6Tb of storage as a backend, and a Asrock Ion 330 (or whatever) as a silent front end. 4 TV tuners means I can tape anything (pretty much), and download & store movies out the arse.

17. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    http://www.poweriso.com/

PowerISO is the virtual disk mounting software I have been using for years. Technically not free but it doesn't stop working if you don't register it so it may as well be.

18. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    What is the best freeware for obtaining mod dickpics?

19. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
  20. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
  21. Ahseyo

Ahseyo
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

22. CONTCOM

CONTCOM
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I'm still rolling winrar, what's so good about 7-zip?
    Also didn't like openoffice.

23. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    Communist faggot.

24. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    7-zip is cross platform, and doesn't nag you to register every time you open it.

25. CONTCOM

CONTCOM
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Ok, thanks.