Finally!

Discussion in 'Hard Gay Shitpost Metropolis' started by Dr. Rice, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
  2. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
  3. Baya Gay 56.k

Baya Gay 56.k
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

MOD-DUURRR-8-EEERRRR
    Home Page:
    mass effect is fucking faggy

4. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

5. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
  6. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    Go be a faggot elsewhere.

7. Baya Gay 56.k

Baya Gay 56.k
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

MOD-DUURRR-8-EEERRRR
    Home Page:
    NO
    you need me
    we're both such a pair of faggots that we need each others support and attention

8. Rape Train

Rape Train
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Worst drug dealer ever
    At the end of Mass Effect 3, Sheppard bones the Illusive Man.

9. Seku

Seku
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

bad bich
    Home Page:
    Mass Effect looks ghey.

10. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    The Not-elusive Man

11. Ronny

Ronny
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

dago
    It's noob-friendly

12. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    Mass Effect is awesome, if you think it is too easy, why the fuck are you playing on normal?

13. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Mass Effect was written by discriminating, oppressive assholes! No Krogan romance options!

14. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Stop whining and grow a quad

15. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

For reak though, I've never cared for romance in games. I mean, they're usually optional, so no harm done, but I never got what was supposed to be satisfying about it. I mean, doesn't it make people feel like lonelyfags?

Don't get me wrong, I like some well-written characters that have their own story-arcs (loved Baldur's Gate 2 for it) but why you would want to start a "romance" with a virtual character... I don't get it.

16. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    :foreveralone:

But really, I only jumped at the opportunity of making a joke about epic testicles...

nevermind

17. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Yeah, I got that, I played the games and read all the codex entries, because among other things I'm a grade a sci-fi fag.

On that note, they totally nailed the description of space battles not as dogfights (why would super advanced ships fight with tactics from WW2), but as basically electronic warfare that ends with one or two decisive hits.

18. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Me too. Favourites?

19. Rape Train

Rape Train
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Worst drug dealer ever
    I hope that ME3 improves the renegade paragon thing they have.
    In the first MEs it made it too easy to be perfect. Getting full paragon or renegade made the game simpler, there was no reason not to be full ren or full par. So you would select one and run with it the whole game. The problem was that you didn't think about your answers, you just selected whatever renegade Sheppard or paragon Sheppard would say. It doesn't matter about your opinion on the genophage, because Paragon Shepard thinks it was a bad idea. Because of this, you never have the ability to make the wrong decision. You're just prompting Paragon Shep or Renegade Shep to read his lines. Even if you decide to mix it up and choose the "wrong" decision, paragon making a renegade choice, you aren't really making a wrong decision, because everything works the way you want it to, so your decision is right from your point of view. By forcing yourself to choose wrong, you're still choosing right because what you want to have happen happens.

I want ME3 to let the player make mistakes in their decisions. I also want it to present moral dilemmas for the player to solve without having the answers color coded so you know what to choose. I want my good actions to occasionally and unpredictably have negative consequences, and I want my bad actions to sometimes benefit me.
    In ME3, the characters around Shep should die, but it shouldn't be a direct result of your choices. You decisions should influence what happens to them, you shouldn't be able to directly choose if they live or die. That way, the player can make real decisions with actual consequences, and no clear line between what's right and wrong. There should be a chance to be perfect, but it shouldn't be a result of just choosing all the blue answers, doing everyone's loyalty quest, and assigning your squad members to things they're obviously suited for.

Also, that's another thing that bothered me in ME2. The loyalty quests. You shouldn't earn someones loyalty just because you help them out once. You should have to earn it based on your decisions, and whether or not the squad members agree with them.

20. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    well said

In fact, P/R was mostly an aesthetic decision, those scars...

I think The Witcher, e.g, was more acomplished in that regard

Anyways, my biggest dissapoint was when Jack turns to be another run-of -the-mill pussy, after that badass character intro

21. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Yeah, but think of the basement-dwellers. They could not make her too intimidating, i.e. anything beyond a weak girl craving your dick. Everything else would have been a painful reminder of the miseries of real life for at least 50% of the players.
    I wrote a long, thought out response to this, but then the site timed out. So, in brief:

Alien, I like gritty.

Babylon 5, love the character angle, sorta like "The Wire" in space

Freelancer, because it's basically the 19th/20th century all over again but with space ships

22. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    oh! nice...but I was thinking more about books

Any novel that have impressed you of lately?

23. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I love "Ender's Game" to death. Not any other book by Orson Scott card, though. They're weird, like he's trying to push his crazy opinions (or rather his issues) on you and it interferes too much with the (otherwise mostly fine) narratives IMO.

"Roadside Picnic" by the Brothers Strugatski. It's weird but in a good way, it's one of the times where convention was ignored successfully. Plus it's written in a way that really makes the "Zone" come alive before your mind's eye.

But most of all, Philip K. Dick. "A Scanner Darkly" might be the only book to truly rival my affection for LOTR.

I haven't been reading as much lately, but one book that I read and liked was "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman. It's basically a Vietnam-era response to "Starship Troopers" and while it employs the conventions of military SF (humanity vs an Alien force) it is very critical of militarism and the fascist views that are common in the genre.

24. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse
    I'm $$Trooper, a badass commie nigger.

Dank Memes professor of Dank Community College.
    Home Page:
    If I was a woman, i'd marry you Mordin.
    ~uguu~

25. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Ender's is the shit, but the sequels, altough quite different, are amazing too
    I mean, only Speaker for the dead and Xenocide. The rest that I have tried were kinda shitty

I haven't read that one, I'll look for it at the library

From the S bros, I have in high esteem Hard to be a god. Seemingly simple, but no, that stuff is layered

I like both periods of PKD, pre and post exegesis. From the first, I'd maybe choose Ubik, and from the second, V.A.L.I.S

A Scanner Darkly is awesome too. Have you seen the movie? Not bad, not good, imo

I liked TFW, if I remember right

I like all military Sci-Fi, from Starship Troopers (which btw I don't find so "fascist" as everibody seem to agree) to the last I have read, which is Old Man's War, very good, give it a try

Some favs authors of lately are, only to name three, Neal Stephenson, Bruce Sterling and Charless Stross
    All of them write next level shit

26. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Bastard child of Jigsaw and Kayako
    Home Page:
    The Forever War is probably one of my favorite scifi of all time. I really like how Haldeman portrays the complicated logistics of an interstellar war in a semi realistic manner. If I remember right, the POV characters never saw what their enemies even looked like.

27. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Wiki helped me to remember...fuck, twenty years since I read that, at least
    I must give it another go for sure

Middle Finger, lol

28. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

You remember correctly. It sort of reminded me of "Apocalypse Now" in the way that they never see the enemies. I think Haldeman did that to show that they characters have only the propaganda of their own side to portray the enemy and that there is potentially some sort of fundamental misunderstanding going on.

29. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    As in Speaker for the dead

30. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Bastard child of Jigsaw and Kayako
    Home Page:
    I really need to read that one. The only Card I have read is Ender's Game and one he wrote more recently as background for a RTS video game.