Final Fantasy XV

Discussion in 'Video Games & Weeaboo Shit' started by uberfukken, Jun 12, 2013.

1. UncleSchomo

UncleSchomo
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

fucking douche jerk nugget whore puta
    I liked xiii until the game forces Vanille on you. The dumb little shit got ohko'd despite I buffed/leveled the fuck out of her and Sazh*. XIV 2.0 is coming out around the 27th, trying to get the lost subs from Wow despite the last Wow raid will be out on that day too (I heard 2.0 is what the game should have been).

*Sazh was the only likable character from XIII. Why did they do nothing with him after XIII is...oh yea, Japan hates black people.

2. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

imo XIII was a big improvement from XII

My main gripe with that one is that it just became too blatantly linear. The whole element of exploration was practically wiped out.

3. Whatever

Whatever
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Existing

Same.

I actually liked Final Fantasy XIII to a point, or at least much more than most people. I actually liked the story a bit since I'm the kind of person that actually likes melodrama, so I didn't mind the linear narrative.

What I did mind was the linear gameplay. I think it was called the paradigm system, where you had three characters who you could switch class roles at a time. It was a neat idea, but the problem is, is that for about 80-90 percent of the first twenty hours of the game, you're only able to use two characters at a time. So the game basically is squeezing your hand on a gameplay level, assuming you're too mentally challenged to handle the gameplay system. But then, when all the characters unite at around the twenty hour mark, you're giving free control, and all characters are giving the ability to switch into any class. That's nice, but you were never actually given an opportunity to learn the battle system properly to know how to build up and use your more open-ended party.

It's the equivalent of someone never letting you getting farther than five feet away from them and then suddenly pushing you off a cliff, hoping you can fly. It was just bad design all around.

4. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

That's the part that got me. I wasted 20 levels trying to turn Snow into a healer just to find out he fucking sucks at it no matter how many levels he gains. Same could be said about any of the characters you assigned a different class to. Big waste of time and made the end-game extremely difficult.

5. UncleSchomo

UncleSchomo
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Vanille and Hope sucked no matter what build you gave them. I tried to keep Vanille alive so many times when she was with Sazh, but she wound up dying on me.

The difficulty was annoying in the sense that a lot of shit was trial and error, and the games gives you little or no hints on beating half of the shit in the game. It took me 5-7 tries to figure out Lightning is supposed to heal through her Odin fight, and she's worse with that mechanic than Snow being a healer (dude's meant to tank).

6. jack

jack
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

stay golden pony boy,stay golden.

7. Milwin

Milwin
    Expand Collapse
    2013 Faggot of the Year

The Toast Cult
    Home Page:
    after thinking about it for a while, I don't think final fantasy 15 might be as great as the trailer says.

8. UncleSchomo

UncleSchomo
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/28/final-fantasy-14-digital-sales-halted-due-to-server-queues/

So 14 version 2 finally came out...and despite all the praise, the game is such an unplayable piece of shit Squeenix isn't letting anyone get it digitally (no one can really get on the servers even if you bought it at a GameStop, and stores don't have it now*). They apparently learned nothing from the last train wreck that killed the game for a while.

The apologists are funny because Vanilla Wow and Guild Wars 2 were playable from day 1, as well as Secret World (a first for Funcom).

Congratulations, Squeenix, you fucked up again. I don't know how they botched this up, but they did.

*I really doubt this game sold like crazy (more like 2-5 people reserved it in smaller locations) because it would have had a midnight release, or have thousands of regular copies for people. Blizzard games were still available days after their release date.

9. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

I agree Square needs to take the FF franchise out of the MMO competition. They may have been hot-shit back in 2003 with FFXI, and I'm sure they made a lot of money raping millions of people with that $10/month subscription fee, but WoW took that crown years ago and they are now so far behind in the running it's next to impossible to attract new waves of players.

10. UncleSchomo

UncleSchomo
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

There's no excuse to release a shotty mmo especially with the market changing (a lot of games are going F2P, and Wow is one of the few games that's still successful with subs despite subs are dropping slowly). Saying you weren't prepared for the game when you hyped the shit out of it is like saying you forgot to buy your ingredients for your dinner party at the last minute, so you can't have your dinner party even if people are at the door waiting for your party.

The thing is an online Final Fantasy game could have worked, but 11 was a mixed bag. It came out around the time MMOs were only meant for a few nerds, and were designed to kick you in the dick with a boot that had a 9-inch nail attached to it. Chains of Promathia, the 3rd expansion, was considered one of the worst expansions any mmo could have because only 2-3 classes could enjoy the content for a while, and the zones were horrible for any level range. Wow and Guild Wars came along, making mmos easier to get into. They tried to make the game a little easier, but the fyad content is still there. Every time I thought about going back to 11, I think about the nightmare that was leveling a red mage, the horrible playerbase (weabos, SA Goons, and racist Japanese players), and some of the most god awful quests for any game like the level caps or even armor sets that mostly sucked.

11's PR was great because they more or less told the players to go fuck themselves, or were dumbfounded by questions they didn't expect.

11. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

Ever spend 12 hours on a drop with your entire linkshell to get one piece of armor for someone else? I have. It fucking sucked. I hate that game.

Although regarding the racist jap players, to be fair they were always much more efficient than the English speaking players. The times I remember getting scooped up by a kanji party I was grinding xp at literally double the pace. Also they were pretty evil the way they'd farm nms. It's like going against a group of people who don't even blink, just stare at the screen for hours waiting for that sprite. Good luck getting that first shot in.

12. UncleSchomo

UncleSchomo
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

I spent many hours with my linkshell and online friends trying to get any armor pieces let alone quest items with very low drop rates. The biggest kick in the balls was that most of those armor sucked unless you were a red mage. I wasted 2 nights on that shitty game (1 for the chocobo quest, and the other to wrap up the Red Mage quests that sucked).

I've had a Japanese player pk me when I was trying to get my last piece for the stupid red mage set. As I played that game, the content and it's playerbase made me miserable to a point where I didn't care if people didn't invited me. And yea, NM monsters were horrible especially if you were a melee because if you didn't have a pair of boots and a hairpin from some stupid lizard and dragonfly, you were fucked. Not even older games like Ultima, Everquest 1, and Asheron's Call were this brutal.

13. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

In comparison, WoW is a child's toy. FFXI brought the pain, anyone saying otherwise wasn't fucking there. Literally everything took hours, sometimes days to accomplish. It took a full month to collect the paladin AF shit. Sometimes you'd spend 2+ hours just waiting to form a party so you can grind xp for 6 hours to gain 1 miserable fucking level.

And then the gil-sellers flipped the entire economy upside down and prices for everything fucking skyrocketed, so good luck buying a potion of any kind. Nope, instead you need to spend 6 weeks mixing random bullshit to get your alchemy level up.

Fucking BRUTAL

14. Boudica

Boudica
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Putin's #1 fangirl
    It's gonna suck ass. Final Fantasy fags don't want a realistic,gritty,open-world rpg with action elements. That's why people play rpgs,to get away from it all. Why can't they just take something like final fantasy 6 and make it with next-gen graphics ?

15. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

I've been shouting this for years. For all the tens of millions of dollars they waste making these new emofag incarnations of FF, they could spend half that amount remaking one of their handful of true masterpieces and completely redeem themselves. There must be some kind of under the table agreement with the original developers because it doesn't make any sense why they would shelf it.

Although, based on the disaster that was Chrono Cross, maybe it's better they just leave it alone instead of royally fucking up again.

16. UncleSchomo

UncleSchomo
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

They already ruined FF4 with the After Years, the shitty DS version, and the buggy GBA port.

Leave 6 alone. We don't need a 6-2.

17. Boudica

Boudica
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Putin's #1 fangirl
    yeah,but considering how many times they've remade/released ff4, not complaining though ! What I mean is they could use the environments and concepts from a game like final fantasy 6 and use it for 15. Kind of like how FF10 was an evolution of FF7 .

18. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

Honestly, I loved After Years. The only thing I disliked about it was playing on the Wii Virtual Console and needing to buy each individual chapter. I think the total price of the game came out to $50 when it was all said and done. Ripoff and a half for a game based entirely on 1992 technology.

Yeah instead they're doing the exact opposite by turning the battle system into a Phantasy Star clone. I haven't seen it yet but I have a pretty clear idea of what they mean when they're talking about "live action battle system".Can't wait to have my NPC party members cost me the battle because they're not healing/buffing like they're supposed to, instead forcing you to rely on some shitty pre-configured AI. They should have learned their lesson with FFXII when it comes to that shit. At least 13 had an ok battle system with the paragidm system.

19. Boudica

Boudica
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Putin's #1 fangirl
    Exactly. Somehow they managed to make the AI in 13 work,they should do shit like that. Square needs to make a JRPG ! Not a dragon age/DMC cross. I want an actual fantasy setting. Something my friends will call me a faggot for playing. Shit like this[​IMG]

20. UncleSchomo

UncleSchomo
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-final-fantasy-14-launch-catastrophe-worsens

Squeenix also stopped selling physical copies of this turd (my friend can't even get online without getting kicked out of the game despite she bought a physical copy). I haven't seen anything this bad since Anarchy Online or Age of Conan, and even Funcom learned their lesson with Secret World (which came out playable and semi-decent even if it's more or less F2P now).

Congratulations, Squeenix, you made a train wreck even bigger.

Yea, a game that doesn't let you play on your own server, and forces you to pay another $1 to make a character on another realm is great design, and it's not Squeenix's fault.

Note: Despite queues Vanilla Wow was a million times more playable than this piece of shit. Not like I expect Final Fantasy fanboys to know this.

21. Hexa

Hexa
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

XIV ARR is much more fun than WoW though. Much better than expected after how bad Vanilla was. Got way more people playing than they expected cause of that.

But they're giving people refunds so it's fine. Hopefully population will balance out soon.

Also looking forward to XV quite a bit. Nomura > All except maybe Kojima.

22. UncleSchomo

UncleSchomo
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

They're only giving refunds to the PSN players, so if you bought the shitty PC version like my friend did, you're fucked with a shitty, unplayable mmo.

It's a damn a shame only a few nerds can enjoy the experience, and when they fix this piece of shit, the player gap is going to be huge (high level players will be ass-holes towards the people who just joined...like FFXI).

That's not an excuse to fuck up the release of a game you hyped the shit out of. This is a mess on the same level as AO. Bad mmo is bad mmo.

23. Hexa

Hexa
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Never played Aion.
    But as it overwhelmed their servers to such a degree I'd expect its meeting their financial criteria so it'll stay up and not go F2P or any of that shit for at least some reasonable amount of time.
    So the game as it is and the future are looking quite good to me. ^_^

24. Gaegogi

Gaegogi
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Reformation Camp #24 Guard #52
    While I do not own a PS2, I want to get into Final Fantasy(though I did play XIII on my friend's 360). What are the best of the ~15 games?

25. UncleSchomo

UncleSchomo
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

You're only missing out on 12 if you don't have a PS2 (The 10 games are pretty bad). In no real order:

NES: 1,3j (there are translated roms you can download)
    SNES: 4 (aka 2 US), 6 (aka 3 US)
    PSX: 7 for the hell of it. If you want to put up with a shitty plot and characters that don't connect with anything, try 9.
    GBA/PSP/iOS: FF1&2 remake (Play 1 on the GBA/PSP; 2 really sucks even with an update)

Avoid the After Years like the plague. FF5 for the GBA has extra classes, but they pretty much suck (you can't use one until you're around the very end).

I finally go to try 14. It's not too bad, some quests are just retarded (one quest says you need armor with an item level at 5 or better, but if you wear anything about 5, you can't beat it. What a stupid ass quest).

26. UncleSchomo

UncleSchomo
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

After playing FF14, I have a love-hate relationship with the game. To make it a tl;dr post:

-Everything's a grind, and the grinding gets worse when you clear the quests. I heard in the last 10-15 levels you will have to look for special events called fates to level because you will run out of quests (nobody learned from Age of Conan).

-Some quests are just shitty or kinda vague. I was stuck on a quest that required you to have lv. 5 armor or better, but get this: If you have armor higher than level 5, you can't beat the quest. The kicker is that this quest is part of the fucking main story, so if you didn't finish a story quest, you're stuck even if you beat all the side quests and out-leveled the zone. Dungeon quests are mandatory, so expect 1+ hour queues unless you went with a tank or healer class. Some class quests have a lot of trial and error like FF13.

-You have to play through the shitty story quests to get everything. Need to store stuff? Sorry, you can't do that because you need to be level 10 to unlock your house from a quest, and then beat 5 more shitty story quests to get access to the crappy player market. I lost any interest in making an alt in the game after slogging through some quests, and having to wait 60 minutes to get into a dungeon with a shitty tank/healer as a dps character.

-Crafting and gathering just aren't fun. They're boring, and don't produce much out of pets or whatever.

-There are more gold spammers in this game than wow ever had. Don't even bother using the chat channels to communicate even if you're an attention whore, weeabo faggot.

Next patch will add pvp, but knowing Squeenix I'm not holding my breath. One of the few things I like is that your race doesn't fuck you over if you know what you're doing.

27. Gaegogi

Gaegogi
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Reformation Camp #24 Guard #52

So what are the good/redeeming factors of the game?

28. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

The title

29. UncleSchomo

UncleSchomo
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Customizing your character is pretty amazing especially that you can make your character sound Japanese or American/European. There are specials quests you can take to grab some exp depending on whether you want to beat shit up or gather materials, but they get pretty tedious.

I don't know if I'd call these features redeeming though.

30. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Part Time Substitute Teacher Full time Teal Deer
    Mystic quest you are indeed chasing down crystals. The NES has you chasing them as well.
    Tactics is the most unique because instead of crystals you are chasing stones. In the process you're fighting the Catholic Church, who are hiding the fact that Judas the Betrayer really saved the world by having Jesus killed. The leaders of the church are trying to bring back Jesus who is really Satan who wants to bring back his twelve zombie apostles as zodiac demons so they can destroy the earth.

When I explained the plot to my neighbor his mom made him smash the CD. His mom also banned Ceaser 3 because you worship pagan gods. I also had to break it to him and his sister that their favorite game

[​IMG]

stands for E.V.O.lution. He never got to fight the amoeba.