Dual monitor setup

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by a.t., Jul 20, 2011.

1. a.t.

a.t.
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I was just wondering whats the appeal of having two monitors. Its not like I can control two mouses or multitask with dual monitors better than with just one.

And you have to buy expensive splitter in order to get best quality.

So my question is, why dual monitors?

2. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

inb4 6 monitors
    [​IMG]

3. Mokichu

Mokichu
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

My dad needs them for his work, it allows him to have two things up at once, so he can monitor both at the same time. Other than that, I think he just keeps them because it's fun.

4. Seku

Seku
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

bad bich
    Home Page:
    They make you look like some sort of tech genius who knows everything about computers. Do they have ubuntu running? I thought so.

5. Edgeworth

Edgeworth
    Expand Collapse
    Systems Administrator

Web Developer/Systems Administrator
    Two monitors means I can watch videos on one monitor, and browse the net on another.

6. Dancingfatkid

Dancingfatkid
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Fascist
    Home Page:
    It's what you do when you have too much damn money

7. Mussie

Mussie
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I use three monitors.
    Right now I am using CAD to make me some shiny desk.

On other times one screen has web browser the other one msn/video/irc and the third one for virtualmachines

8. Beefcake

Beefcake
    Expand Collapse
    Best-selling author

It's been proven that multiple monitors increase productivity. A good example would be programming. You can have your IDE open on one screen while you have documentation open on the other one. Also, why would you need expensive splitters? Any decent graphics card released in the last 4 years has 2 monitor outputs. Modern cards have 3 monitor outputs and ATI has a line of cards that can do 6. I'm probably upgrading from dual monitors to triple monitors in the near future.

Right now, my main monitor has my browser open fullscreen, while my other one has IRC, mirandaIM, winamp and a PuTTY terminal connection to my home server. Whenever I'm on a computer with only one monitor, I feel like I've just lost an arm.

9. Mussie

Mussie
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

this

10. Stephen

Stephen
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

You can use more than 1 monitor on a computer? WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?!

11. a.t.

a.t.
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Thanks for answering my question. I now realize that I have no fucking need for other monitor.

And there is no particular application id run on my other monitor (and why would anyone watch movie on other monitor while working?)

12. Mussie

Mussie
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

its comfort really.

13. Ahseyo

Ahseyo
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

DJ, Music Producer, Synth Programmer
    I'm using three monitors, mainly for my music productions(One window for VST's, One window for the mixerboard and one window for the main GUI for the project) so I can keep as much efficiency in my workflow as possible.
    I'm not really reccomending getting a second monitor if you're not going to do anything that requires you do use something that you need to open many tabs on or a software that is running on a heavy application that you need to open/reopen many times in order to avoid lag.